The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Magic square-sketch book or white board or? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
I am working on a presentation for the magic square and would like some ideas for the actual board to write the square on. Some people seem to use sketch books and others white boards.

With a sketch book on an easel you have the benefit of visibility but I kind of like the idea of holding the board so I can move around the stage. The other issue is packing the board for easy transportation. What do performers do who fly?

Thanks in advance
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Transparent Dry Erase Board is what I prefer.You can face the audience head on.

Rich
RileyG
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
840 Posts

Profile of RileyG
Quote:
On 2008-02-26 22:47, PaleoMagi wrote:

Rich

great minds think alike...
Signed,
Riley G Matthews Jr
SAG-AFTRA actor
Www.RileyG.com
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2008-02-26 22:50, RileyG wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-02-26 22:47, PaleoMagi wrote:

Rich

great minds think alike...

I am honored!
I actually went a step further and taught myself to write the the numbers in mirror reverse.More difficult was concentrating on completing the square opposite also.

The guests see everything as it should be.I of course explain beforehand the 'difficulty' of what I am about to do. Smile
RileyG
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
840 Posts

Profile of RileyG
Quote:
On 2008-02-26 23:01, PaleoMagi wrote:
I am honored!
I actually went a step further and taught myself to write the the numbers in mirror reverse.More difficult was concentrating on completing the square opposite also.

The guests see everything as it should be.I of course explain beforehand the 'difficulty' of what I am about to do. Smile

If you do a search (several months ago) for my name and magic squares you will also see that mentioned, plus a design dup. done upside down and turned right side up... I got to talking about a performance artist named Dent, and how I saw him do upside down paintings years ago and this lead to me doing something of the same...
Signed,
Riley G Matthews Jr
SAG-AFTRA actor
Www.RileyG.com
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Yes,I of course was not claiming originality.When I saw the idea mentioned by TC Tahoe...I ran with it.
I do recall your comments in the same thread.Although I have not tried it,I do like the upside down DD idea.

This all lead to my creating my close-up/stand-up dry erase kit...which I use at my restaurant venues.

Rich
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
What size do you use for stage?

Is the grid drawn on?

Are transparent dry erase boards readily available?

Thank you
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I use dry erase white boards.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2678 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2008-02-27 00:13, aussiemagic wrote:
What size do you use for stage?

Is the grid drawn on?

Are transparent dry erase boards readily available?

Thank you

If you check at places like OfficeMax or Office Depot, you should find them with little trouble. I even found one that was a perfect square!
RileyG
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
840 Posts

Profile of RileyG
Or CLEAR PLASTIC.... wink, wink, nudge, nudge...
Signed,
Riley G Matthews Jr
SAG-AFTRA actor
Www.RileyG.com
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
With a transpatent board, how visible are the numbers to the audience. Are the numbers not difficult for the audience to make out against stage background? I had heard of this being done but was put off by a possible visibility issue.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2008-02-27 04:40, kinesis wrote:
With a transpatent board, how visible are the numbers to the audience. Are the numbers not difficult for the audience to make out against stage background? I had heard of this being done but was put off by a possible visibility issue.

For stage work you are probably better off with a white board.For stand-up here are two I use:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz509/71/?wmcp=......601-9973

Great price.

I also suggest a broadpoint chisel tip black marker.

For parlor and close-up I use my homemade pocket sized kit.

The biggest problem I have found in my research is:Many clear plastics...not specifically meant for dry erase leave annoying 'ghost images' of previous writings.
RileyG
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
840 Posts

Profile of RileyG
Quote:
On 2008-02-27 04:40, kinesis wrote:

Simple matter to place the clear board in front of a white pad AFTER completion for all to see...
Signed,
Riley G Matthews Jr
SAG-AFTRA actor
Www.RileyG.com
Alexander Marsh
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1191 Posts

Profile of Alexander Marsh
Quote:
On 2008-02-27 07:13, PaleoMagi wrote:
For stage work you are probably better off with a white board.For stand-up here are two I use:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz509/71/?wmcp=......601-9973

Sorry to go off topic but... that could make for a very interesting design duplication, don't ya think.

On topic - I use a sketch book or a dry erase bored on an easel, it depends on audience size. Anything above 50 and the people at the back won't be able to see it on a sketch pad.
Woodfield
View Profile
Special user
758 Posts

Profile of Woodfield
Real world solution-
buy the biggest sized white foam core board.
It's cheap,not that reflective under stage lights,
and can be thrown away after the performance. Out of
town gigs? Just find an office supply store when you get
there.
-Woodfield
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
[quote]On 2008-02-27 08:18, Alexander Marsh wrote:
Quote:

Sorry to go off topic but... that could make for a very interesting design duplication, don't ya think.

On topic - I use a sketch book or a dry erase bored on an easel, it depends on audience size. Anything above 50 and the people at the back won't be able to see it on a sketch pad.

You are right.For DD's in my stand up shows I position myself a couple of feet to the side and forward of my helper...this way the audience gets to witness both drawing being created in real time.
RileyG
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
840 Posts

Profile of RileyG
Quote:
On 2008-02-27 08:21, Woodfield wrote:
Real world solution-
buy the biggest sized white foam core board.
It's cheap,not that reflective under stage lights,
and can be thrown away after the performance. Out of
town gigs? Just find an office supply store when you get
there.
-Woodfield

I have a green act... Waste not, want not...

Sometime very Blue...
Signed,
Riley G Matthews Jr
SAG-AFTRA actor
Www.RileyG.com
tboehnlein
View Profile
Inner circle
ohio
1787 Posts

Profile of tboehnlein
I use a large white sketch pad, it is the same pad I use for design duplication(therefore one less item to carry) & I do not want them to see the square form as it is done as an interlude while another effect is forming & takes place suddenly & w/o fan fare. The look of the clear board seems cool, but wouldn't you get a lot of glare?
ChuckHickok
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of ChuckHickok
For the serious mentalist ... VISIBILITY is critical to an entertaining and amazing Magic Square. I have seen too many performers frustrate their audiences by using a 'grid' too small or markers that can't be read by ALL in the audience.

The solutions are simple.

I request that my clients provide me with an easel with a 27" x 34" pad of flip chart paper. Given this requirement in WRITING a few weeks in advance, 95% of my cleints provide what I need.

I use the largest tip markers available (5/8 inch tip - Avery/Marks-a-lot - #2415X) These are available at Staples or Office Max. I carry four with me so I always have a marker that is "new" and easy to read.

BLACK is the most visible color. Anything other than BLACK lessens visibility. Red, Yellow and Orange markers should be avaided and are invisible to the people 15 feet away.

Finally, as a fallback, I carry a sheet of 27" by 34" inch paper with a pre-made 'grid' for the 5% of my clients that don't provide what I requested. If they don't have an easel ... I have often used a wall.

For close-up situations (6 to 12 people) I use a 14" by 17" pad of paper from an art supply store.

Chuck Hickok
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
The most effective solution obviously depends on the size of the venue/audience. For trade show work, I like Expo's 10x10 Easel-Back Dry Erase Board.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Magic square-sketch book or white board or? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL