The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Make Magazine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
This is not an advertisement nor an endorsement. Honestly is an angry rant. I like "make" magazine as they offer plans and tips on many DIY projects and other interesting stuff.

I just got the current issue in the mail today and I am brassed off about it. This issue has a large section on magic. Very nice for those who like to build, but they are exposing how the effects work. This will earn them an angry letter from me.

End of Ranting and Raving.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
My suggestion - ignore it. This magazine probably has a small enough circulation that no one on this board will ever be adversely affected to any degree. I'm sure they are just doing this as a "throwaway" project among all the others. If they realize that are getting a reaction, they might publish more.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Beautiful irony here... There is another thread here in the Workshop about S&M's Handbook of Magic. Most of us old farts are leaving trails of nostagia puddles talking about it. Maybe the "make" magazine article will light a fire under some kid destined to do great things in the art.

So, how can I get a copy of it?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Ditto!

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Michael, I have seen it on the magazine racks in bookstores such as Borders and Barnes and Noble (The Commons).
rhiro
View Profile
Regular user
Southern California
182 Posts

Profile of rhiro
Make Magazine is available in bookstores. I've seen them at my local Borders.

http://makezine.com/magazine/

I received my copy in the mail earlier this week and have mixed feelings about this issue. There's a great article on John Gaughan. There's also several project articles describing how to build effects, some dealer items, many I would hardly consider slum magic. Also, an article on magic patents includes drawings.

I realize that a lot of this information is out there that anyone with any magic interest and an Internet connection can search on and find. I'm sure some of Make's readership might find these articles inspiring. But how many didn't ask for it, and don't want to see it? A friend of mine at work is also an avid reader of Make, and a layperson fan of magic. He reacted negatively to this issue.

I think the magazine's disclaimer says it all: "FOR YOUR EYES ONLY: Keep these secrets to yourself or you'll spoil the magic for others." I guess readers don't really get a choice whether the magic is spoiled for themselves.

I'm not angry, just disappointed. I agree that making a stink over this would only fuel the fire.

$0.02,

Ross
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Thanks for the info! I'll go check it out.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
raywitko
View Profile
Special user
western Pa
527 Posts

Profile of raywitko
Ditto on the thanks for the info. Going to run to the local news stand to see if they carry it.
Sometimes it seems there are more than one of me.

Tabman USA
magicdmv
email me at [email]fursclass@magicdmv.com[/email]
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
I just picked up a copy at Borders.
It reveals more than they should.
It shows parts of patent drawings for some effects that the lay public should not know about.
It looks like a great publications. It has some great DIY stuff. And a great article magic props and automatons as well. But I think these articles should be in a strictly magic publication.
At $15.00, I guess not that many people buy it. Only the true DIY craftsman.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Can anyone say which effects are revealed? I haven't had time to track down a copy yet. Thanks...

-Erik (Day 8)
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
sobrien
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of sobrien
I have tried to find this at Borders / Barnes and Nobles in Winston - Salem, Greenville NC, Charlotte.. so far no luck. I would also like to know what is listed in the issue prior to purchasing online.

Thanks
Shawn
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On 2008-02-28 15:54, rhiro wrote:
I agree that making a stink over this would only fuel the fire.

Agreed, just like when the Masked Magician did his gigs on Fox. All the stink did was to give Fox ammunition to convince the sponsors that people would watch the next show.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. The worst that could happen would be that a few people find they like all this trickery stuff and decide to pursue it. Heck, one of them might even become the next DC.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Look on the rack with the PC, robotics, and technology magazines.

As for exposure, for the price of the magazine ($15), I doubt if you will be performing Copperfield's Flying in front of a lot of folks who read this issue.
ldl1017
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of ldl1017
I just picked up the latest copy of Make. It does reveal some standard effects. Amongst those are Hippity Hop Rabbits, Glorpy, Six bill repeat and 20th Century Silks. They also show how to make several effects; how to make a change bag and how to make a Telekinetic Pen are a couple. They also have a great article on John Gaughan. I agree that only a select group of people are going to read this magazine and even smaller group will actually bother to build the props.
“I am, as I've said, merely competent. But in an age of incompetence, that makes me extraordinary.”
Billy Joel
Perry D Winkle
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of Perry D Winkle
Make does some cool stuff. One thing that applies here, the fireball shooter! They have wands that do this fairly inexpensively, but it is still excellent info:

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2008/03......end.html
sier5
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of sier5
I'm having trouble finding this magazine do most stores sell it.
dbearden
View Profile
Regular user
Oneonta, AL
102 Posts

Profile of dbearden
If you go to the magazine's web site, you can order a back issue for $14.99.
wa-na-be
View Profile
Veteran user
355 Posts

Profile of wa-na-be
Check Barnes and Noble in the Computer section of the Magazines
Dr. Solar
View Profile
Special user
Citrus Heights, Ca.
526 Posts

Profile of Dr. Solar
Yeah, Just keep inquiring at all the Borders in every region and for sure there sales alone or special orders for the Make magazine will prove to them they have a winner crowd to sell to and who know, maybe they will make it a point to include several tricks per issue. Hey, if it sells, so they think. and John's article? Probably can't fit his head into the "twisting head" illusion; too big right now...

Dr. Solar
"look for me in all things forgotten"
www.drsolar.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Make Magazine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL