The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » My busking table (thus far) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MOTO42
View Profile
Loyal user
Whitehouse Texas
225 Posts

Profile of MOTO42
The Attached image is of the first iteration of my busking table.
The legs are a waiter-tray stand. The top is plywood, covered in vinyl, with a 1/2 inch layer of "NuFoam" between for padding.

Though it will still be a long while before I'm willing to actually perform on it. I'm proud of my hour and half's effort, and it's very nice to have a table to practice on that is exactly the right height and material I wanted.

I'm happy with it right now, but I already have some improvements planned.

What do y'all think?
Any possible improvements to it y'all can think of?

Click here to view attached image.
"One man's miracle is another man's warm-up"
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Looking good man, looking good, keep up the good work...but are you gonna put it to good use I hope?

;)
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
MOTO42
View Profile
Loyal user
Whitehouse Texas
225 Posts

Profile of MOTO42
Eventualy.
Honestly I would have been willing to work a little (privately) three years or so ago. But it's been so long since I seriously practiced that I need to put some Work in before I'm ready to fool even my friends. Much less ask people to pay me for it.
BAH1313
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio
445 Posts

Profile of BAH1313
Hey Moto42,

Put some side trim on the edges of the table to keep the balls from rollig off. This can be a real pain in the butt.

Also, practice!

Best,

Bobby
I am truly blessed to have a job where people are laughing all the time and everyone believes in magic....Come to think of it, I'm blessed to even have a job.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
I hate it when my balls get away from me! sorry couldn;t resist
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Instead of cheap vinyl, how about duck cloth, which I think would still be cheap and have a bit more of a "felt" type feel but is stillvery durable. In bright sunlight, your current surface might reflect a lot of light.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
You don't need side trim or felt fabric...no, no, no...

You need a large, steel plate under the work surface and rare earth magnets embedded in all of your props.

Then you could work in a hurricane Smile
BAH1313
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio
445 Posts

Profile of BAH1313
Josh, what are you doin in this thread?

Get your butt right back over to the Close-up area with your buddy Thomas!!! LOL!

That was for the balls joke...
I am truly blessed to have a job where people are laughing all the time and everyone believes in magic....Come to think of it, I'm blessed to even have a job.
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Hey, that is a pretty nice looking table. I will have to take a picture of mine and post a link to it on here. I'd watch a show performed around that hour and a half creation. How much did you pay for the waitor's tray?
MOTO42
View Profile
Loyal user
Whitehouse Texas
225 Posts

Profile of MOTO42
Breakdown of pricing:
$29 Waiter's tray
$10 Foam and Vinyl
$ 7 24"
The top of the table is a bit rounded. I'll probably remove the padding from under the vinyl later. (probably replace it with carpet).
I like the feel of the vinyl better than felt-like fabrics. Thanks for the heads-up about the possible glare though, if becomes an issue I'll yank it and replace it.
I plan to add a border around it at some point, I'm still debating on exactly how to do it though.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Here's a way I came up with to attach side trim. It's easy to do with a table saw and makes realigning the trim back up to the screw hole easy when you need to replace the fabric.

Click here to view attached image.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Do most hardware/lumber stores carry trim like that?

My table is a folding plastic thing I picked up at Wal*Mart. Totally inappropriate for you pro-guys, but it does what I need it to do.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » My busking table (thus far) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL