The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 1 In Every 99 Americans Now Behind Bars (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..15~16~17 [Next]
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
14 year old girls? Oh to be in my mid 20's again!

Not kidding!
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
A case of Intoxication: A 44-year-old Drunken man was arrested in Ann Arbor, Mich., blocking traffic by approaching an officer and requesting a big hug (and then cursing the officer when he declined).
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Well, this has to do with Montreal, Canada, not America, but a woman there was recently handcuffed and fined for not holding onto an escalator handrail:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Laval+pol......ory.html
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2009-05-21 21:00, magicianman1 wrote:

Guilty until you prove yourself innocent here.

The vast majority of people arrested for a particular crime have done what they're believed to have done (to a layman, they "are guilty," although as a term of art, "guilt" includes a state of mind requirement that does not always apply; there's a lot of over-charging, but there's also a lot of plea bargaining). The system is designed to set free a whole bunch of "guilty" people in order to reduce the risk of incarcerating an innocent one. That's still pretty much the way it works.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Lobo is right you know. I tell folks that all the time. Magicianman is also right, the more money you have to throw at the system the better off you are and it simply isn't fair it just happens to be better than most.

I still remember 15 years ago when my wife had a student whos father was the biggest and best paid criminal attorney in Santa Clara County, he even had a lawyer name. I asked, about OJ, if it gets frustrating for lawyers that there are all kinds of delays....his response was "I get paid to keep them out of court, when they run out of money that is when we go to court". Nice huh?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
The old joke about capital punishment is that if you have the capital you avoid the punishment.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Oh yeah. I believe the state has an obligation to do the DNA testing and all that crap for those who cannot afford to pay for it. If they don't want to do that then make all defendents get a public defender and tell the criminal lawyers to go review real estate deals, what do they care? It is money and that is what they are all about once they get past the BS about 'wanting to help society'. If they wanted to help society they should become trash collectors.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
In order to pay for mattresses at a new jail addition, the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department in Missouri has come up with a novel idea. The offer is that if you pay them $50, you will be given a tour of the new jail and best of all, you will be given the privilege to spend a night in that new jail. The offer of that overnight stay is good for only July 31st, so if it appeals to you, then make plans accordingly.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Kendrick Pitts, 20, and his brother Marquise, 19, were arrested in the Ladies' room of a small office building in Fort Lauderdale,Fla., where they were hiding in stalls after being chased by police investigating a stolen truck. Their ruse failed when they tried, using falsetto voices, to persuade the cops that the only people present were Women.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2009-07-16 22:23, Orville_Smith wrote:
In order to pay for mattresses at a new jail addition, the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department in Missouri has come up with a novel idea. The offer is that if you pay them $50, you will be given a tour of the new jail and best of all, you will be given the privilege to spend a night in that new jail. The offer of that overnight stay is good for only July 31st, so if it appeals to you, then make plans accordingly.

Sounds a little like they 'stole' (how ironic) the idea from San Pedro prison in Bolivia.

Story and photos here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/pi......ml/1.stm

"San Pedro prison, the biggest in Bolivia's main city, La Paz, is home to about 1,500 inmates. Once you pass the thick walls and the security gates, any resemblance to a normal jail disappears: there are children playing, market stalls, restaurants, hairdressers and even a hotel. It looks more like the streets of El Alto, Bolivia's poorest neighbourhood that sprawls on the outskirts of La Paz, than a prison."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2009/ja......-bolivia

"San Pedro is arguably the most notorious prison in South America. Inmates are expected to pay for their cells, the poor sharing hovels while the wealthier bag themselves rooms resembling studio apartments. The more enterprising might also practise a trade (barbers, carpenters) or become proprietors of internal restaurants. Whole families live inside, with prisoners' wives and children free to come and go. Grease a few palms and this unusual visiting policy can be extended to curious tourists too."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I probably posted on this before, but when a new prison opened up in my area that offered an open house. I went. Along with about 10,000 other people. Smile I guess I wasn't the only one who wanted to see what a prison really looked like.

It was very nice. Two room cells with a private shower and bath. Small rec room/dining rooms for each hallway rather than one large community dining room. Lots of nice facilities for exercise and such. It all reminded me of a small college in North America. Other than the fact that you get locked in at night and you can't leave the campus, it wouldn't be such a bad place to live and work.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Yeah, but with the seedy kind of people you get moving into those facilities, the 'neighborhood' goes down very quickly. Smile
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
In an actual Surveillance-tape I saw on Cable news, it showed a segment in prison where an inmate began assaulting a guard. Astonishingly, 4 other inmates came to the rescue, fighting off the assaultive-inmate, thereby saving the guard. It's astonishing because you would expect those 4 inmates to join in on the assault in hopes of making an escape, but those 4 inmates saved the guard. To add to the surprise, one of those 4 helpful inmates was in prison for attempted murder, but he still helped save the guard. What possessed those 4 inmates to do that? According to the reporter, that kind of behavior certainly goes AGAINST the grain as to what would be expected from an inmate. At the very least, this is certainly unusual.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2009-11-05 17:47, Orville_Smith wrote:
In an actual Surveillance-tape I saw on Cable news, it showed a segment in prison where an inmate began assaulting a guard. Astonishingly, 4 other inmates came to the rescue, fighting off the assaultive-inmate, thereby saving the guard. It's astonishing because you would expect those 4 inmates to join in on the assault in hopes of making an escape, but those 4 inmates saved the guard. To add to the surprise, one of those 4 helpful inmates was in prison for attempted murder, but he still helped save the guard. What possessed those 4 inmates to do that? According to the reporter, that kind of behavior certainly goes AGAINST the grain as to what would be expected from an inmate. At the very least, this is certainly unusual.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/article/20091......lp++too+

November 5, 2009

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) — Four inmates who came to the rescue of a Florida jail guard when he was attacked by another inmate may be getting some help of their own.

Deputy Larry McKinnon said Thursday the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office will write letters to the inmates' attorneys that can be used on their behalf in court.

The inmates helped save 64-year-old detention deputy Kenneth Moon on Monday afternoon when inmate Douglas Emanuel Burden charged him, put him in choke hold and began strangling him.

Four inmates saw the commotion and came to Moon's aid, including one who reached for the deputy's radio and called for help. The incident was caught on a security video.

The men are in jail for charges including home invasion and attempted murder.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Cesar Lopez, 29, was arrested at the Turkey Hill Minit Market in Lebanon, Pa., when he emerged from a restroom looking for something inside the baseball cap he was carrying. A police officer noticed that a small baggie was stuck to the top of Lopez's forehead and speculated that Lopez had stowed the baggie (found later to contain marijuana) inside the sweatband of the cap, but that when he removed the cap in the restroom, the baggie remained stuck to his head.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126049373613486817.html

A Year After His Arrest ...

Bernie Madoff, the $19 Billion Con, Makes New Friends Behind Bars

BUTNER, N.C. -- Bernard L. Madoff's life of country clubs and luxury homes ended when federal agents arrested him at his Manhattan penthouse apartment exactly one year ago. But he is adjusting to his new life behind rows of gleaming silver razor wire in this small Southern town.

Inmate No. 61727-054 shares an unlocked cell at the medium-security prison at Butner Federal Correctional Complex with a younger man named Frank. He wears khaki prison garb and has been spotted walking on an outdoor track. He plays bocce, chess and checkers. He scrubs pots and pans in the prison kitchen.

The 71-year-old Mr. Madoff also is salvaging something that disappeared in the outside world the moment his fraud was exposed: respect. "To every con artist, he is the godfather, the don," says an inmate interviewed earlier this week.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16249 Posts

Profile of tommy
Its not Mr. Madoff, he paid a double to do his bird for him.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Inmate exonerated after 35 years: James Bain was freed after being behind bars for 35-years for a crime he did NOT commit. Bain had filed for several previous petitions asking for DNA testing, all of which were thrown out. He was convicted largely on the strength of the victim's eyewitness identification. Behind bars for THIRTY-FIVE YEARS despite his innocence. How should Mr. Bain be compensated?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
No, he likely was involved, the hippie.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2009-12-18 15:24, Orville_Smith wrote:
Inmate exonerated after 35 years: James Bain was freed after being behind bars for 35-years for a crime he did NOT commit. Bain had filed for several previous petitions asking for DNA testing, all of which were thrown out. He was convicted largely on the strength of the victim's eyewitness identification. Behind bars for THIRTY-FIVE YEARS despite his innocence. How should Mr. Bain be compensated?

We could let him falsely imprison the eyewitness for 35 years without punishment.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 1 In Every 99 Americans Now Behind Bars (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8..15~16~17 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL