The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 1 In Every 99 Americans Now Behind Bars (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16260 Posts

Profile of tommy
Or the one that we were rocks once upon a time and that rocks might evolve into intellectuals one of these days like we did and then think they have rights?

:)

Maybe a big rock should be dropped off on Wall Street, caved in it the the words “I am not moving!”

We can then all go down there and film the cops spraying the rock with gas and hitting it with big sticks.

And sing the whole world is watching.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Interesting notion, tommy:

Quote:
Or the one that we were rocks once upon a time and that rocks might evolve into intellectuals one of these days like we did and then think they have rights?

Not that we "were" rocks, but we are rocks. We are the same atoms that were formed in the Big Bang. "We are stardust," as the song goes. We are solidified, conscious starlight that emanated from the Big Bang. "Let there be light; there was light."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16260 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
Perhaps back in topic, getting them when they're young:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan......-schools
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
What the UN does with those pennies you collected on Hallowe'en:

http://pjmedia.com/claudiarosett/how-the......er-rape/
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On 2012-01-11 12:45, gdw wrote:
Perhaps back in topic, getting them when they're young:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan......-schools

Thanks for this gdw, it was an eye-opening read, but not a surprise really. This is a prime example of how we as humans think we know what we want in terms of how an adult should behave themselves and contribute to the betterment of society, but there are a million guesses as to how to go about it...

This policing of schools has nothing to do with academic education, it's an attempt to instil order into the school which is stultifying the spiritual development of all of the children concerned. Were they to be more enthusiastic, determined and humble in their attempts to find something more positive, they would find that there are spiritual education systems out there that are developing children and youth into social ambassadors, transformers of communities and neighborhoods into regions of positive growth and spiritual development.

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of gdw
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-......38.story

Some years had an average of one a day. Wow.
It's amazing, people will criticize you for "biting the hand that feeds you," while they're busy praising the hand that beats them.

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
(From California news) Firefighters were called to a trolley stop in National City, Calif., to free the arm of a 17-year-old boy after he got it stuck when he reached up a vending machine slot to try to steal a soda. The rescuers employed axes, crowbars, an air chisel, and a rotary saw.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
(From Syracuse, New York) James Washington believed he had gotten away with a 1995 murder, but then he had a a heart attack, and on his deathbed, in a fit of remorse, he confessed to a confidant. "I have to get something off my conscience," he told a guard in the jailhouse where he was serving time for a lesser, unrelated offense. But Washington miraculously recovered from the heart attack and tried to take back his confession, but prosecutors in Nashville were unfazed. The used it to augment the sparse evidence from 1995, and the now-healthier Washington was convicted of the murder and sentenced to 51 more years in prison.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
1 In Every 99 Americans Now Behind Bars?

Yes, especially after work on Fridays.

Smile

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2008-02-28 17:54, balducci wrote:
http://wcbstv.com/national/prison.americ......053.html

So the question I have is, which of you off topic forum posters is a jailbird posting from inside some correctional facility?

Do I need to include a smiley face?

Here you go: Smile

I'm not taking the time to go through all the posts from 2008. Not a jailbird here, just someone who likes stirring up the doo doo from time to time.... Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
I was at a 3 day Bluegrass music festival in Bear Valley, CA in 1999
Walking around the campgrounds playing my mandolin in the morning.
There were allot of drugs being sold everywhere.
One camp was having a jam session, I was invited over to sit and play
one person motioned for me to sit on the ice chest...not good.
While we were jamming on Shady Grove, a dude came over and asked me to get up,
I did, then sat back down. Within 1min of sitting I was tackled and beat down
by the local undercover police.
short story I went to jail for sitting on a cooler full of marijuana food.
I got f'd, I have a felony class 6 spent 21 days in jail at Lake Tahoe.
The public pretender refused to believe that I had nothing to do with them.
The courts made me take 3yrs unsupervised probation and time served.

What the F did I do to deserve that? I've often wondered and right now I think about
how the cops beat me up that morning, punching me in the left temple 7-8 times,
slamming my face in the dirt several times knocking me out, I woke up to a
bad left knee, a bloody cut up face. ringing in my ear, and impaired vision in my left eye.
Mom saw me and couldn't stop crying, same with my 2 friends.
short end of the stick is they wanted $400,000
for my bail which would have been $40,000.
I did the time for a crime I had no involvement with.
Yeah I puff so wtf.
But I NEVER sold drugs in my life EVER!, and that happened me an innocent bystander.
Just because I like to play guitar violin and mandolin.
I get tears in my eyes still to this day.
I had a cataract due to the whole getting beat up, and I have bad knee now
can't snowboard anymore, no riding mtn bikes, hiking long distance is a no go.
I tried to sue...no on would take my case.
So I wonder still wtf did I do to deserve that...

I will always hate on Cops for the rest of my life, and I will and have never show respect for anyone who is since that moment. I know we have a few here, and I don't respect them as fellow humans they are Evil Aliens disguised as humans. Just think what it would be like to have 6 giant dudes tackle you at once at beat you down, at the time I thought I was getting robbed by the people in that camp, only wake up in hand cuffs and leg shackles.
When I was in jail I was dosed with something in the food, the medical staff injected me with a flourescent pink dye, and
I hallucinated all weekend long, thinking I was in a UFO holding cell, like that movie Matrix, then they let me out into this day room with a violent murderer who had killed 3 inmates with no supervision.
Dude confessed his past to me, and when I finally was put into general population, I was told by an Aryan Brotherhood member the cops wanted him to kill me...wtf was that all about...I'll never understand.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Wow Octupus Sun, I don't always agree with you but your situation sucked big time. I'd be extremely bitter today myself.

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16260 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well that is what they call a Mandolin Wind I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjKVBj0fmkg

Its a song about love sticking by your side in the face of long, debilitating death.

"The coldest winter in almost 14 years" is the toughest test of their marriage, fourteen years long.

"When the rain came I thought you'd leave
'cause I knew how much you loved the sun"

When things got tough with the cancer, he thought she'd leave because she couldn't stand to watch, she's a happy person, not one to tolerate decline.

"But you chose to stay, stay and keep me warm
through the darkest nights I've ever known"

But, she chose to stay, and he's singing his gratitude for her steadfast companionship

"If the mandolin wind couldn't change a thing
then I know I love ya"

If the sad, cold truth didn't dissuade her, then he's sure he loves her for it.

"Oh the snow fell without a break
Buffalo died in the frozen fields you know
Through the coldest winter in almost fourteen years
I couldn't believe you kept a smile
Now I can rest assured knowing that we've seen the worst
And I know I love ya"

Hyperbole on how cold, how severe his condition is. It may actually be winter outside his deathbed... but the rest is self-explanatory here - she kept up a smiling face, terminal disease is the worst possible end to a marriage, so if she sticks through it, nothing could ever be worse.

"Oh I never was good with romantic words
so the next few lines come really hard
Don't have much but what I've got is yours
except of course my steel guitar
Ha, 'cause I know you don't play
but I'll teach you one day
because I love ya"

Sure, he'll teach her, someday.

"I recall the night we knelt and prayed
Noticing your face was thin and pale
I found it hard to hide my tears
I felt ashamed I felt I'd let you down
No mandolin wind couldn't change a thing
Couldn't change a thing no, no"

Remembering the night of the diagnosis, how shocked and dismayed she was. He felt he let her down by having a terminal disease - which is somewhat common of a cancer patient, though he tried to mask his emotions for her sake - also very common of a terminal patient. And, it's terminal - nothing could change a thing.

It's a sad song, and not all that metaphorical, either. Maggie May gets all the attention, but I really like this one - in little, tiny doses, to remind me I survived cancer.

Read more at http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/6......fyz8e.99

Tommy
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Octopus Sun,

What a story. I am sure one of these days mankind will look back at our time and the barbaric marijuana laws and we will shake our heads, like we do when reading stories about prohibition.
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Some times it's tough to look at the world and not be angry because things
have been taken away due to that event.
Bright side...I have 2 boys, a great wife, I work for myself and my
bills are paid.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
1 in 99 is a very small number, that is why society is unsafe.
We should have a Purity Test to see if one deserves to be free. The Industrial Prison Complex would reap a fortune (more than they do now).
The streets would finaly be safe.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2662 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Right, because one group of bad cops means every cop is crooked. Got it.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2012-12-01 13:49, Andrew Zuber wrote:
Right, because one group of bad cops means every cop is crooked. Got it.

You make a good point. How about that NYC cop who spent $75 out of his pocket to buy a homeless man a pair of boots? It went viral, so you can't miss it. Good on him.

Still a bad experience as Octpus Sun experienced would probably make me bitter too.

Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
In addition to the tv-series,COPS, has anybody else seen the reality series, JAIL? I think that Jail has even more censorship and bleeping than Cops because the arrestees in J seem much more rambunctious. After all, they have been already taken into custody and what worsens their resentment is body-searches. Even more emotionalism than in Cops because in Jail, you,for example, see some arrestees violently banging their own heads against the wall, probably suicidally.

The only monotonous thing about Jail is that it's the same environment, confined as it is to the inside of a building, as compared to Cops which always has different environments each time. Which brings me up to an Inquiry: Does anybody know where I can get dvds of every episode of COPS? When I check the COPS site, the only dvds they carry are anniversary dvds and "The Best Of..." dvds. So the availability is very limited. As I said, I need every single episode. Can anybody provide information?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » 1 In Every 99 Americans Now Behind Bars (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16~17 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL