The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Movie Falsehoods thought as truth. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
During a recent discussion among friends (yes I have some) someone in the group mentioned how Houdini died performing the Water Torture Cell. I corrected them and told them about his ruptured appendix and how he died in Detroit and then they said.... " Oh yeah.... his appendix burst in the water tank but the movie didn't show that part." LOL

Can anyone else name things that biographical movies got wrong (artistic licence) but many think is fact?

Best,

Tim
Rimbaud
View Profile
Loyal user
Saint Louis
291 Posts

Profile of Rimbaud
JFK.

The whole movie.

Very exciting film-making, but the list of complete untruths and inaccuracies is overwhelming.

There is a moment when Donald Sutherland as Mr. X, tells Garrison that all the phone lines in and out of D.C. were 'mysteriously down for an hour'...didn't happen. Completely made up. Both the character and the thing about the phones.

Showing the photo of Oswald with the guns being created by mysterious gloved hands while the heroes are discussing how vast the conspiracy is?

Marina took the photo. She has always acknowledged taking the photo. She wrote a mocking insult to Oswald on the back of it, in her own handwriting. Oswald showed the photo to friends before the assassination. There is nothing remotely mysterious about that photo.

There are hundreds of details that are just plain, demonstrably wrong. (I'm not even counting portraying Garrison has a hero, when he was, in fact, a world-class whackjob.) The movie is utter fiction, parading as fact.

Still, a whole generation things Oliver Stone got it right.
http://www.DanLaddthehypnotist.com
"Saying 'Everyone is special' is just another way of saying 'No one is.'" --Dash from The Incredibles
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Thanks Rimbaud,

Just thought of another. The Titanic Officer that committed suicide in the movie didn't in real life. If I remember correctly his family sued or threatened to sue James Cameron for the false portrayal of him.

Best,

Tim
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
In an interview segment that runs fairly regularly on AMC, Oliver Stone has stated that a lot of JFK is not factual ... he blended many conspiracy theories together in order to spin an entertaining tale ... he almost seemed to heap some scorn on those who took JFK seriously. Maybe that is some revisionary history on his part, I don't know, and I don't recall what he said when JFK first came out ... in any case I agree that many people probably confuse much of its fiction for fact.

Anyway, all sorts of biographical war movies have gotten things wrong, to greater or lesser extent. I can think of U571 and The Great Escape as examples off the top of my head.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1305 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Quote:
On 2008-02-28 23:36, Timothy Drake wrote:
The Titanic Officer that committed suicide in the movie didn't in real life. If I remember correctly his family sued or threatened to sue James Cameron for the false portrayal of him.

Well, that's actually something that's not so simple (sorry man! LOL) According to both crew and passenger testimonies someone did commit suicide; it is plausible that it was 1st officer Murdoch-but testimonies vary on the subject. Its said being him but some also say Captain Smith or Chief Officer Wilde. 1st officer Murdoch's body was never recovered or if it was, it was never identified. It is quite understandable his family was angered because of his portrayal in the film, but they don't have any real first-hand information either. Though its likely he didn't as there is also testimonies of him being on the ship right before the final plunge.

Another Titanic error is that there was no door connecting the boiler room to the cargo hold with the Renault.
Sent from my Typewriter
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20521 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Any movie by Michael Moore?

Ok, Tombstone. That really was a stretch.

Hidalgo, was completly fictitious from start to finish and put off as biographical. Nobody can find any reference in history to that race, or a payment from Buffalo Bill Cody to Frank.

It also seems odd that the only cops on the planet who don't know that a "cop killer" bullet has never actually KILLED a cop, are those on TV.

Yea an entire 2 generations now think Oliver Stone had a biographical look at the JFK thing. Made a good movie, but when you have to change facts to do that it is disturbing.

Helter Skelter also was pretty close but had a few pieces of artistic license.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Man of a Thousand Faces

Lon Chaney Sr. DID NOT give Creighton Tull Chaney (aka Lon Chaney Jr.) his 'death-bed-blessing' to become an actor.

The Alamo

Davy Crockett did not die fighting. He was captured and tried to talk his way out of it, but was executed by being hacked with sabers.

Buffalo Bill

The whole movie.

Hannussen, and Black Magic (about Count Cagliostro)

Both films painted the protagonists as relying on a natural skill at hypnosis, and Black Magic had Cagliostro dying in a dramatic sword duel.

Pit and the Pendulum (1990s)

A butchering of Spanish Inquisition history, it showed devices the Inquisition never used, and had Tomas de Torqueamada dying violently.

Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean

The whole movie.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Braveheart

I especially love the scene where the King of England sends his Queen to Scotland in a wagon with a couple of guards. In truth she would have traveled with an entourage of several hundred.

The Patriot.

Pretty much got nothing right

Gladiator

Loved the fact that Rome looked more like Speer's Berlin than it did ancient Rome
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
The JFK comments remind me of the intro to one of Robert Tannenbaum's books, which is on the JFK assassination. He makes the usual disclaimers, then sums it up with, "In short, this is a work of fiction, loosely based on actual events, much like the Warren Commission report."

"Hurricane" comes to mind...they took many liberties with the witnesses, the Giardello fight, Carter's place in boxing at the time (He was well on the decline, and no threat to win the title; in the movie, one of the pieces of support for his innocence is "Why would a guy on the verge of stardom throw it away on a stupid robbery?" His position in the political activist community (pretty much didn't have one, but he was portrayed as a political rabble-rouser the cops wanted to set up), etc.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2008-02-29 14:17, LobowolfXXX wrote:

"Hurricane" comes to mind...they took many liberties with the witnesses, the Giardello fight, Carter's place in boxing at the time (He was well on the decline, and no threat to win the title; in the movie, one of the pieces of support for his innocence is "Why would a guy on the verge of stardom throw it away on a stupid robbery?" His position in the political activist community (pretty much didn't have one, but he was portrayed as a political rabble-rouser the cops wanted to set up), etc.

Yeah that's a good one. Dylan stretched the truth in his song as well. But it's still a great song, the movie, not so much.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Every Movie ever made about Wyatt Earp, including "Tombstone" (mentioned above), "Wyatt Earp", "My Darling Clementine", "Gunfight at the OK Corral", and many more.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Not quite on the same lines but I hate when Hollywood has its artistic license with comic book adaptations. Grrr.

M:C or R:B?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2008-02-29 14:32, Vandy Grift wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-02-29 14:17, LobowolfXXX wrote:

Yeah that's a good one. Dylan stretched the truth in his song as well. But it's still a great song, the movie, not so much.

Great, great song. Probably my favorite by Dylan.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2749 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
"Shakespere In Love," Willie did _not_ write a play called "Romeo and So-and-so the Pirates Daughter" as a rough draft to "Romeo and Juliet."

The story of Romeo and Juliet was already a well know tragedy. (A lot of Shakespere's stories had been done by others before, seems that once Willie got a hold of the material, the other versions just kind of disappeared!)
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1627 Posts

Profile of randirain
Mel Brooks' "History of the World".

Some parts of that movie are not true.

Still one of my favorite movies though.

Randi
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
It would be interesting to see which movies are completely factually accurate.
People should watch movies for entertainment value not education so I am voting every movie ever made and that is not meant as a sarcastic comment.
Day 1
elmago
View Profile
Loyal user
Northridge- Los Angeles, CA
268 Posts

Profile of elmago
The ending of the movie Rudy. The portrayal of the coach that would would not let him play was flase. The real coach got upset when the movie came out because it made him look like a mean jerk. He had every intention of letting Rudy play.

The offensive players did not make the extra play just so that Rudy could play. They had their own agenda.

The announcer did not properly credit Rudy with the last "sack" or tackle of the game. It did not seem as glamourous as the movie portrayed it to be. I do not have the link, but I saw a clip of the last play on youtube.

Also, the janitor character never exsisted. He was a composite of different people who made a strong impact in Rudy's life.
"Excellence is not a single act; it's a habit" Shaq quoting Aristotle after winning NBA MVP.
elmago
View Profile
Loyal user
Northridge- Los Angeles, CA
268 Posts

Profile of elmago
The movie Amadeus. Salieri was not out to destroy Mozart. They actually got along in real life but the "media" at the time loved a conterversy. Some misunderstanding happened, but it blew over.

Also, Salieri did not take a vow of chastity. He was actually married and had 8 children.
"Excellence is not a single act; it's a habit" Shaq quoting Aristotle after winning NBA MVP.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20521 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
King Kong.

The monkey really lived.

Independence day, they came from a different planet than they say they did.

Oh and the Simpsons episode, Marge really shot Mr. Burns, not Maggie.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
One false myth that used to be perpetuated by Hollywood was the glamorizing of the Stuntman YAKIMA CANUTT who used to double for actors in dangerous action scenes. During that time, it was done for mostly westerns and mostly the stunts on Horseback. To make it appear more glamorous, they encouraged the myth that all the Horse stunts were so remarkable because the Stuntman Yakima Canutt is actually an Indian, a native American. After all, who but an Indian could perform Horsemanship so spectacularly? But in actuality, Yakima was a pure Caucasian.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Movie Falsehoods thought as truth. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL