The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusion Base Velvet... ("Killer Z") (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Some of you "big boys" know exactly what I'm talking about when I say "Killer- Z"... Any idea where to obtain this stuff? I'm lookin gto cover an illusion base and only want the best...

-Bryan Gilles
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
I did a search using the exact phrase "Killer Z" and other than this post only found one dealing with it and it was Here
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Yah, I can only name maybe one or two that supply it. I'm looking for a place to actually purchase it by the roll. The fabric shops in Vegas aren't likely to give up their sources as this stuff is like illusionists "gold"

Thank you for your help though Smile

-Bryan
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

You're welcome, wish I would have had more on the subject to contribute.
Fabrison
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of Fabrison
Did you try las vegas upholstery?
I have their phone number somewhere if you can not find it thorough the directery.
I also heard from a supplier in CA. that it was being discontinued
RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
533 Posts

Profile of RSD
Why don't you fill the rest of us in?
magicfreak_NV
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of magicfreak_NV
It was discontinued at one time.

however, there seams to be a supplier selling by the roll again. Not sure if they still do or not. It is kind of hit or miss at the time of ordering.

as you said "this stuff is like gold"

it is the best!
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Sorry to bring up such an old topic, but...where are we on this?

Was the actual industrial name ever discovered for the fabric, or are we still simply referring to it as, "Killer Z".

Are there suppliers available?
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
"Killer Z"!?

If you tell us, would you have to kill us? Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1302 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Again, resurrecting an old thread. Talked to a friend about "Killer Z" this week and he suggested checking out "Velours Moliere Ultra Black" which reflects less than 0.5% of light. Havent tested it myself, but might be truly black and maybe on option for Killer Z. Or maybe it is Killer Z. I don't know.

http://www.showtex.com/product/prodname/......-velour/
Sent from my Typewriter
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1302 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Was thinking the Showtex stuff might be too thick. There's also one other option. Black Fidelio velvet by JB Martin. Many sources refer to it "blackest material on the planet" and one company offers a 1000$ in cash if someone shows them a blacker velvet.
Sent from my Typewriter
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1302 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
And another update... Smile

I really started checking into this and found page after page after page of praise for Fidelio Black. It was described looking like a hole in sunlight so its gotta be REALLY black. Again, I don't know if that's the stuff we know as Killer Z, but might be a really good alternative. On this page you can see a comparison shot with other black fabrics (about halfway down the page):

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=97247

And here's where you get it:

http://www.bymichelle.com/fidelio.html
Sent from my Typewriter
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1302 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
And the latest...Heard from Michelle who sells Fidelio Black (sample on the way!) and here's what she said:

Quote:
I have been told by the U.S. Astronomical Society, or rather many of their advocates, that Fidelio Black is the "blackest stuff on earth."
It does absorb all light creating a black hole effect and telescope enthusiast love it for lining their telescopes.

It sounds promising.

Now "Killer Z" has white backing. Fidelio Black has black backing so its likely not the same (unless its been changed at some point) but if its really black, black backing only helps.
Sent from my Typewriter
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Sounds like "black hole by the yard". Imagine the possibilities for magic! Of course, once something vanishes, there's no bringing it back... Smile
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Rudy Sanchez
View Profile
Special user
945 Posts

Profile of Rudy Sanchez
Quote:
On 2012-07-26 18:55, mvmagic wrote:
And the latest...Heard from Michelle who sells Fidelio Black (sample on the way!) and here's what she said:

Quote:
I have been told by the U.S. Astronomical Society, or rather many of their advocates, that Fidelio Black is the "blackest stuff on earth."
It does absorb all light creating a black hole effect and telescope enthusiast love it for lining their telescopes.

It sounds promising.

Now "Killer Z" has white backing. Fidelio Black has black backing so its likely not the same (unless its been changed at some point) but if its really black, black backing only helps.

Killer Z is 100% polyester
This product is 65% acetate and 35% rayon.

You would never be able to use this in a commercial enviroment for drapery because acetate can't be fire retarded. For bases it would probably be ok.
www.cesaral.com
Sales Manager for Cesaral Magic
illusiontech
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
210 Posts

Profile of illusiontech
The dirty little secret about "Killer-Z" is that it cant be made flame proof. It is ok for bases. I have a partial roll, I'll find out where we got it, etc. I'm so over this lame a** not giving sources crap. Oh yeah roughing fluid is Testors "Dull Kote" spray, so there, lol My all time favorite is Kimery calling trade show vinyl "Tuff cote" the source is in Dick Gustafsons(sp?)book. Honestly paint finishes are so much better though and can be touched up!

Vinny
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1302 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Vinny, let us know if you get the info. I should have the sample velvet when I return-I am actually in Vegas now 'til August 14th.
Sent from my Typewriter
illusiontech
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
210 Posts

Profile of illusiontech
I think this is it:
http://www.syfabrics.com/View.aspx/Uphol......2869/370

But because of the lack of availability, we have switched to this:
http://www.syfabrics.com/View.aspx/Plush....../681/264

Vinny
chill
View Profile
Veteran user
colorado, usa
371 Posts

Profile of chill
Thank you for those links
bob
I spent most of my money on magic and women, the rest i just wasted
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Illusion Base Velvet... ("Killer Z") (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.36 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL