The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » What the !!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Khayman
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Khayman
I don't swear often... but darn!!!
After 1 minute and 12 seconds in this clip the man is doing some kind of multiplying sponge routine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcKOKCZMN2s
Do you think he created the routine or does anyone know were I can learn it?
That is the most beautiful sponge routines I ever laid my eyes on!
// Jesper
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Everything you saw was all stock dealer items. Multiplying balls, loops (over used, but for demo OK)... just buy all the stuff and then spend time getting handling down. Whowever did this hand the handling near perfect.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
That was a nice video. Thanks for posting.

John
SeanD13
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, RI
263 Posts

Profile of SeanD13
That was the first time I have seen a multiplying sponge rutine like that. If you find a source for the routine please let me know.

Sean
Have you hugged a Cup Junkie lately?

Learn more at www.CupsCon.com
"If We Build It Will you Come?"
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3494 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
And listed on the same page
as this neat set of routines,
are the "how to" clips,
exposing the methods and slights,
but of course,
ignoring the artistry and efforts
necessary to success.
<sigh>

Walt
mdspark
View Profile
Special user
783 Posts

Profile of mdspark
Poorly done, to bad music!
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
I am totally underwhelmed.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5354 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
As said above everything is "off the shelf". The multiplying sponge routine is commercially available. Most of the stuff he did was self working. The few basic slights he used are in old publications and old videos on sponge magic. The IT stuff was the weakest (to me) of what he was doing.

In all I found it rather pedestrian, common place, mediocre, and with no entertainment value.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Joe Howard
View Profile
Loyal user
The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts
204 Posts

Profile of Joe Howard
I guess the stuff is so old, it's new, eh? (referring to the multiplying sponge balls)

For someone performing only for a camera and no spectator involvement, I thought it looked OK, (with the exception of the IT).

JH
Khayman
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Khayman
So could someone post a link to a book or dvd hwo teaches that rutine?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5354 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
There is no one source for this Hoge Pope of sponge ball things. The kid simply put everything he had and knew on video to music. To bad he didn’t think of doing more than a demo of various stock items.

The Multiplying Sponge balls used to be sold by Magic Inc. (back in the 60’s) as Chicago Sponges (I guess because they were being made and sold in Chicago). They are easy to find as “multiplying sponges”. For example you can see a set at:
http://www.magictricks.com/stage/multsponge.htm

The sponge balls to sponge square is also a standard dealer item and can be found at:
http://www.magicstor.com/files/sponge_tricks.htm

In fact most of what you are looking for can be found on that page. This is all fairly elementary stuff and been around for years.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24273 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Chicago Sponges are no longer available. They came from Ireland's, later Magic, Inc. You can make them yourself with some flocking and the gaff.

They seldom look as good in person as they do on a low quality video.

But this goes to show you, you don't need a bunch of new crap. There is plenty of old crap out there that will fool you.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Khayman
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Khayman
Yea I seen a lot of this before and are not impressed, BUT!!! the multiplying sb are looking as real magic as it could be to me Smile

But now I know that that beuty does use a gimmick... and I don't use gimmicks in my magic... grr. I really thought that it was only slight of hand Smile
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
What is wrong with gimmicks?
Magikrn
View Profile
Veteran user
333 Posts

Profile of Magikrn
If you like the routine and were fooled by it, why not use them? You are not going to use something that made a magician go wow, which would probably devastate a lay audience, because it uses a gimmick? I'm sorry...........
Khayman
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Khayman
I do agre. I have to change what I said before, I do use gimmicks TT, ] and so on.
But I really try not to.
Im more in to closeup magic with streaks of street in it, so I don't think this routine would look that good in closeup right?
SeanD13
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, RI
263 Posts

Profile of SeanD13
Well I feel a little robed I thought the Multiplying Sponge ball routine was done with just sponge balls. I thought I was really seeing some great Slight of Hand.

How cool it would be for a real slight of hand routine. Anyone have any ideas on how it could be done??

Maybe with a ******?
Sean

Khayman
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Khayman
On the dvd "Sponge" by Penguin magic and Jay Noblezada there are a bonus section where they talk with Gary darwin.
And he show and explain a routine that looks almost exactly like that.
Hmm I wounder if... if I extract that part (only that routine witout the explanation) from my dvd, would it be ok to put it out on youtube for you to see? or is that illegal to or not ethical (is it spelled like that)
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5354 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Any elementary study of the Multiplying Balls would immediately lead you to a number of routines of 1-to-4 that do not rely on any gimmicks at all. Frankly, it is even easier to perform those routines with compressible sponge balls!

I suspect that just knowing a couple of basic sponge ball slights would give you a similar routine again without any gimmicks.

Of course that assumes that one has basic (and elementary) sponge ball knowledge and skills. It also assumes that one has the very basic Multiplying Billiard Ball knowledge and skill. This is not an impossible or even difficult routine to shoot for.
SeanD13
View Profile
Loyal user
Bristol, RI
263 Posts

Profile of SeanD13
Ouch....

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » What the !!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL