The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Russian roulette (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Josef K
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Josef K
Hello, everybody.

This is my first post here (and on any board...) I have really enjoyed visiting this place for the last couple of months. Thanks everyone for valuable input.

I'm currantly researching for a "Russian roulette" type of trick that works well in a parlor environment. The only thing I've encountered is "Karate" from Arsene Lupin. (The effect: Six small numbered paper cones stands before the magician. A spectator is invited to roll a die and the magician hits the appropriate cone. This goes on until only one cone stands, which is lifted and a spike is revealed!)

My questions are: Is this a trick worth buying? And does anyone know of other tricks in this genre?

Thanks
Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC
432 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
Larry Becker created a Russian Roulette routine, using a starter's pistol. It is a signature piece by Mr. Becker, and is included in his book. I'm sure there are many others, but I offer this as a suggestion.

Best, VB
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
Magic magazine published one where six cans of Coke are produced and five shook up. The one the magician opens is the one which doesn`t soak him. Or soaks the assistant, or what ever.

It`s based on a Paul Harris trick where two cans are used. One is shaken, but when it is opened, nothing happens but when the unshaken one is opened, Coke squirts out.

Is this close enough?
Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC
432 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
I like the soda pop premise. It could be really funny and suspenseful, without the added hassles of using a spike/knife/pistol. Smile
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
Although I like Larry Becker's material, I would not do his Russian roulette. As I recall, even though he describes it, he is not really encouraging magicians to use it. He has hearing loss as a result of it and the method, although it works for him perhaps, does have the potential to fail if the pistols have any sort of mechanical problem. And, unfortunately, many of the starter pistols today are not mechanically that great.

Other effects with this theme, and some danger, include the old "acid Madness" theme... magi manages to avoid drinking the glass with the acid. Kreskin used to do a bit with a number of nooses hanging from a bar on stage. He would stand on a chair and jump off... surprise the noose, either he selected or audience selected for him, broke away... the others were all tight.

There is another marketed concept like this: a number of holes in a block of wood and a sharp knife is placed in one hole by the audience and then bags or cups put over every hole. Magi avoids severing his hand... we hope.

I think with the proper presentation, one could turn Key-rect (seven keys to baldpate theme) or even bank night theme into a Russian roulette concept as suggested.

quack
Josef K
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Josef K
Thanks!

Eddie, the soda can idea put me in a whole other direction with this. The suspence is there and it's funny and familiar. And right for my venue.

Do you know where to find Paul Harris coke can trick?
Josef K
Vincenzo
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
200 Posts

Profile of Vincenzo
Penn and Tellers, How To Play In Traffic
Art Of Astonishment books
Art Of Astonishment Videos
Those are where you can find Fizzmaster.
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
548 Posts

Profile of debaser
Bob Cassidy has a famous Russian roullette routine in his book "Art of Mentalism" which was just re-released by Collectors Workshop.

Matt
-The Scot-
View Profile
Special user
Glasgow, Scotland
726 Posts

Profile of -The Scot-
Colin Rose manufactures a nice model of this effect, you can find it here:

www.colinrosemimc.co.uk

Scroll down and it is called 'SMASH and STAB!'

-Kevin-
Kevin
SethHoward
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of SethHoward
I remember hearing a cassette tape of "The MacKenzie Brothers" also known as the guys from "Strange Brew: The Movie" do this form of roulette with beer cans. I believe the cassette was called The Great White Outback. Rick Moranis played one of the brothers and I can't remember the other guy's name.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Josef,
You might want to check out my "Dinner With the Borgias" in my Bizarre Bazaar section of the e-zine Visions http://www.online-visions.com

It gives the spectator a choice of one of six goblets.

Can be very effective (he said, modestly!)
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1740 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Seth,

Doug and Bob MacKenzie played the game "Beer Hunter," a take-off on the movie "Deer Hunter" in which a Russian Roulette sequence played a prominent role.

0pus
Robert Black
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of Robert Black
Larry Beckers RR routine can be quite un-nerving if you play it up. That said.... DON"T DO IT!!! unless you are intimately, I repeat intimately familiar with the workings of firearms and are using quality props or live firearms loaded with 1/4 loads or primer blanks. Don't attempt to do this with $50.00 starter pistols. You will eventualy be sorry you did.
"Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity." -- Dr. Edwin. Land
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Russian roulette (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL