The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Steve Bedwell's "In Over Your Head" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Jay Buchanan
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
512 Posts

Profile of Jay Buchanan
Hi all. I know it's been said a lot before but I rehearsed this for a year with immediate family. I finally just performed this twice (at two corporate events) and I have to say it simply kills. The audience is howling throughout the whole routine! If you perform a stand up show and like to use rope and comedy... you should check this out if you haven't already.

It's very well thought out, depends on some great comedy principles and even has a callback. For the audience member that is on stage during this, it's a thing of absolute beauty! To them it is completely impossible!

Steve Bedwell's "In Over Your Head" is a great read and looks great on paper... amazingly it is even better than I thought it would be live. If it fits your style and you put the work into it that it deserves, it's a great comedy rope routine with powerful audience participation and cooperation.

Ok, that's all that I will say. This thing is awesome. They truly loved it (understatement) at both shows.
Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt. ~ Shakespeare
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
None of this is TRUE! All of you PLEASE avoid this effect! As a matter of fact, it is unavailable..yeah...that's it...UNAVAILABLE. That's right...it's not even sold anymore....so...keep moving people! Smile

Jay - Shhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Scott

Day 3
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
Jay Buchanan
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
512 Posts

Profile of Jay Buchanan
Uhm... yes! Scott is correct! I was trying to trick everyone into wasting a bunch of their time!

(help! I am past my edit time limit on the orginal post!)
Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt. ~ Shakespeare
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
It is too hard to do and requires five years of practice.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Jay Buchanan
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
512 Posts

Profile of Jay Buchanan
Quote:
On 2008-03-03 18:09, Pete Biro wrote:
It is too hard to do nd requires five years of practice.

Yep! Plus I just found out they were really boo'ing me, not applauding!

Scott - OMG you look like John Locke (Terry O'Quinn) from LOST. Look!http://images.eonline.com/eol_images/Profiles/20061008/244.quinn.terry.100606.jpg
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
Well...LOST certainly applies to me!

Scott

Day 3
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
Jay Buchanan
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
512 Posts

Profile of Jay Buchanan
Quote:
On 2008-03-03 18:37, Scott Compton wrote:
Well...LOST certainly applies to me!

Scott

Day 3

lol! Me too! Smile
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1229 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
I agree with you, the effect is good, but I think it’s difficult to combine it with Fiber Optics due it shows the secret to the trick.

Question: Does anyone join this effect with another Rope routine?
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Jay
Do you belong to SAM 4, IBM 6, or go to Super Sunday? If so I'd like to get together with you to discuss rope magic.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1019 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I have the manuscript, and have always wanted to see this performed.

I don't think Steve Bedwell has a dvd with this on it.

Is there any footage online of this routine?
Make your show FUNNIER with Rindercella & Tim's announcements cd

Preshow Announcements Sample & INSTANT DOWNLOAD

Rindercella Story

[email]tim@pkshow.com[/email]
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13350 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I doubt that bedwell would want footage of this out there. I've seen it performed once but it was done with a stooge and was not that great. ok though.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
884 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Steve himself told me that he has no footage of his performance of the trick.
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1433 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
It's not hard to imagine a performance of this great routine from Steve's booklet. If you've ever watched a youtube video of Al Flosso doing the Miser's Dream with a kid onstage, that's close to what it is like. I love it but it's too over the top for my persona.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1975 Posts

Profile of puggo
Dear all,
I perform a rope routine as a close up act, and have a booking to do close up followed by a bit of stage / parlour. Will performing a rope routine with elements of Fiber Optics (with other influences)during the close up spoil a performance of 'In over your head' later?
The usual requirement of enough practice and suitable presentation would obviously be met before I did perform something based on this.
Thanks!
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2563 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Puggo; My intuitive answer to your question would be; yes.

I think it more likely than not that the one rope routine would tread on the toes of the other. However, even if the answer is not; yes, but; maybe, why risk it?

Steve's 'In Over Your Head' routine is, (IMO) excellent but there are a thousand other effects you could turn your attention to where the possibility of this toe treading would be completely avoided.

Frank, you don't say whether or not it was Steve Bedwell you saw performing this routine. When I 1st read your post it sounded like that's what you meant. But on 2nd reading you don't actually say that and given that Steve doesn't stooge anyone for this routine, (in fact stooging it is a terrible idea. You have nothing to gain from it and stand to loose the whole soul of the routine if anyone was to suspect that what they were watching was being faked) and he gets a great reaction from it. I'm assuming therefore that you saw someone who doesn't understand what the routine is about perform it badly.

I'm pretty sure if I was to pick up some rope now and go out and perform Fibre Optics in my next show it would be painful to watch. Why? because I've never learnt the moves in the routine.... and I've certainly not worked on scripting and staging it. However me going out and performing Fibre Optics wouldn't make it a bad routine it would just make me a bad performer.

Of course if you have reasons other than a bad performance to dislike Steve's routine that's fair enough. I think it's a brilliantly constructed masterful piece of theatre and so it would be very interesting for me to hear a differing opinion.

Neal.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1975 Posts

Profile of puggo
Neal,
Thanks for your comments. I think that I will go ahead and buy the routine, although probably won't have practiced it enough to be proficient, and to have adapted it to my style. I guess I'll be doing something else for the 'parlour' performance instead.
I understand there could be several reasons why there is not footage of this routine, but I would still love to see it, either on DVD or live, as I am a rope fan.
Puggo
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13350 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Nope. It was not Bedwell that I saw. someone different. It wasn't poorly done but a real spectator would have made it much better.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2563 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Quote:
On 2008-06-30 16:49, Frank Starsini wrote:
...... but a real spectator would have made it much better.

Frank; regarding this point.... I'm sure you're right.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
Doctor Bedwell is a terific performer.He won many awards with his cassette act..Cordially,Howard
defconskylude
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of defconskylude
I just got this manuscript the other day. sounds like a GEM. I don't do stage but more of close up and street magic. I don't want to carry scissors with me but what about using a pocket knife or a multi-tool that has small scissors built in to cut the rope?

I'm already doing paper balls over the head and sponge ball routines using crumpled bills and napkins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Steve Bedwell's "In Over Your Head" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL