We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My favorite novel... ruined (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Don't forget the masterpiece To Kill a Mockingbird and how Hollywood got that one perfect. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onw4THV0hWg

Best,

Tim

Day 8
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2008-03-05 21:50, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

and hold onto your hats folks, next summer The Watchmen is due in theaters.

Have you seen the movie stills from The Watchmen that are on the web? They look pretty incredible, really capture the flavour of the comics in my opinion. Though some of the fanboys are quibbling over (IMHO) some truly minor details.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2008-03-04 08:04, JRob wrote:
I never want to see my favorite novels made into movies. They always get butchered After The Fountainhead came out and she saw how badly they botched it, Ayn Rand absolutely forbade any of her other books to be made into movies. Until recently her estate had done a good job of carrying out that wish. Until they recently sold the movie rights to Atlas Shrugged, of all people, Angelina Jolie.

'Atlas Shrugged' was in the news recently. Some bank is and has been (for several years) pledging money to universities, provided they teach about the book in some of their classes.

I have no problem with that, it's just something I came across recently in the news:

http://www.twincities.com/business/ci_8901570
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2008-03-03 21:53, Joey Stalin wrote:
Well not my number one favorite, but one of them. The Book Neuromancer by William Gibson is being made into a movie. That isn't what bothers me. What does bother me is that poor excuse for an actor, Hayden Christensen, is apparently going to play the lead roll of Case in the move... And to add insult to injury, the director, Joseph Kahn, is the same guy who directed the movie "Torque."

What did you think of the movie 'Johnny Mnemonic'? My recollection is that I always enjoy the first half, but sort of lose interest before the end. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever watched the movie the whole way through.

I saw today that another of William Gibson's novels is being made into a movie, this one being 'Pattern Recognition'. I still have to read that one.

(EDIT)

Ooops. I just saw a note to the effect that the deal might have fallen through, and this movie may not be going ahead after all.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
The atlas shrugged thing is horrible!!! on the other hand, they did do a good job with jaws, the godfather, princess bride, catch-22, fear and loathing (in my opinion, though "where the buffalo roam' with bill murray is a better hunter thompson bio), but that's all I have now.

kevin
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2008-04-16 00:53, kcg5 wrote:
The atlas shrugged thing is horrible!!! on the other hand, they did do a good job with jaws, the godfather, princess bride, catch-22, fear and loathing (in my opinion, though "where the buffalo roam' with bill murray is a better hunter thompson bio), but that's all I have now.

kevin

Shawshank
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Movies (like most everything else) follow Sturgeon's Law: "90% of everything is crap."

Since you can surmise that only the 10% of books that aren't crap are the ones being chosen for adaptation into films, and that subsequently 90% of those will be crap, it's easy to see that less than 1% of all books will ever be adapted into films that aren't crap. QED.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2008-04-16 00:25, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-03-05 21:50, Jonathan Townsend wrote:

and hold onto your hats folks, next summer The Watchmen is due in theaters.

Have you seen the movie stills from The Watchmen that are on the web? They look pretty incredible, really capture the flavour of the comics in my opinion. Though some of the fanboys are quibbling over (IMHO) some truly minor details.

They always do!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Quote:

kevin

had some to add:

from stephen king,
shawshank redemption
stand by me (the body)
the shinning

clockwork orange
red october
patton (based on 3 books)
and the band played on
AMERICAN PSYCHO!!!!!
one flew over the cuckoos nest
apocalypse now!
the right stuff

in the 70's (maybe before), a studio executive- think the name is spelled baballan, related to bob the actor-created a rule for hollywood, or at least a standard. they know that 1 of 3 movies made needs to make a profit in order for the studio to be profitable.

kevin

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
To speak of movies "making money" conflates multiple business models that exist concurrently. Movie PRODUCTION is a notorious money loser. So much so that new and creative ways of financing that production crop up every several years (before the investors to whom it's new figure out that they're going to lose their posteriors).

Movie DISTRIBUTION, however, is a lucrative business for the studios.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2008-04-16 20:46, kcg5 wrote:
Quote:

kevin

had some to add:

from stephen king,
shawshank redemption
stand by me (the body)
the shinning

"Don't you mean the 'Shining?' "
"Shush, boy! Y'want to get sued?"

Seriously, I argue with your choice of "The Shining." While the movie had some creepy moments, the story (as originally presented in the book) was badly botched!
Ain't life unkind?"
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
You caught me on the spelling, but I'm just talking of overall adaptations of books to movies. the book "the godfather" is slightly different from the first movie, as is "american psycho" .

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
My apologies. I thought you were giving examples of books that had been improved as movies. "Stand By Me" and "Shawshank" certainly fit under that definition.
Ain't life unkind?"
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Ed, That would be a whole other thread... and your examples are excellent. many of kings short stories leave a lot to the imagination, and the body was certainly improved. the stand would have been a much better movie had it not been made by a network (though lonesome dove was well done)

kevin

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I liked "The Stand," (I went so far w a y back when they first proposed the film of sending a resume and a tape of myself labeled "Test Tape of Ed Rhodes as Nick" -- it was a blank tape!)

I also liked the television version of "The Shining" as I felt it kept the flavor of the characters as their world collapsed around them. (I wasn't even upset by the redemption of the father or the "upbeat" ending which wasn't in the book. King had a different form of "upbeat" for the book.)
Ain't life unkind?"
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1256 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
I would like to add "The Green Mile" to the list of good book-to-movie translations. Also among those would be "Ran" by Kurosawa. It is a translation of King Lear set in feudal Japan. For me "Shogun" would go into a list of the movie was actually better than the book.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1197 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2008-04-18 02:59, kcg5 wrote:
You caught me on the spelling, but I'm just talking of overall adaptations of books to movies. the book "the godfather" is slightly different from the first movie, as is "american psycho" .

The Godfather is pretty darn close.

I'd love to see King's The Long Walk made into a movie, but I'm pretty sure that ain't happening.

kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
I loved shogun as a book, havent seen the movie. love the test tape for the stand thing, and you are right the tv version of the shining wasnt bad, more truthful to the book (hedges coming alive ect...)

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » My favorite novel... ruined (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL