The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Canadian Stuff (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2008-03-05 10:20, Yola Sol wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-03-05 10:01, Timothy Drake wrote:

Oh Yeah... well when you people there in the Netherlands learn how to pronounce IKEA then I'll be impressed. LOL

Go on now....tell us phoneticly how you say it.. I dare you. LOL

Best,

Tim

Day 5

We're closer to Sweden! But I'll change my 'ee-kay-ah' into whatever you suggest as soon as you start saying Den Haag instead of The Hague Smile

Ah HAH! I knew it. I'm betting that you are actually saying it right but on this side of the water we say it like "eye-key-aah" . Last summer some friends from Finland arrived and I picked the up at the airport in Toronto. We passed by and IKEA store and they called it something like " Icky Ah " and my jaw dropped. LOL

Best,

Tim

Day 5
Yola Sol
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
51 Posts

Profile of Yola Sol
Quote:
On 2008-03-05 10:32, Timothy Drake wrote:

Ah HAH! I knew it. I'm betting that you are actually saying it right but on this side of the water we say it like "eye-key-aah" . Last summer some friends from Finland arrived and I picked the up at the airport in Toronto. We passed by and IKEA store and they called it something like " Icky Ah " and my jaw dropped. LOL

Best,

Tim

Day 5

I'll remember that one for one of my friends who works at 'Icky Ah' Smile

Almost beats one of my others friends' 'hairball shampoo'. He even got mad when we couldn't figure out what he was talking about.
On the road of life, don't forget to stop and eat the roses
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2008-03-05 10:47, Yola Sol wrote:

Almost beats one of my others friends' 'hairball shampoo'. He even got mad when we couldn't figure out what he was talking about.

Took me a minute but I got it...LOL.

Best,

Tim

Day 5
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Now if you have a cat and you are into the "all natural" do you buy "hairball hairball shampoo" or even better should you feed him "hairball hairball food"
Johnnie Blaze
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Johnnie Blaze
After spending a few , well quite a few years living in Clearwater Beach Fla.
I have said the following phrase Way To Many Times
" out and about on a boat "
oh how they would chuckle I really never got it but , yeah I'm Canadian,it sounded the same to me..
things I'm stuck with..... I don't say eh... like I should slowly coming back though
I do say y'all
and huh
did a show with the Jeff Healy band some years back . very nice guy great musician, may he R.I.P
John
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
The accent found in some Canadians where the round the vowel combos is very similar, in my opinion, to the accent in coastal Virginia. I have a feeling it came from the fishing industry and spread from there, for example about becomes 'aboot' while 'boat' becomes close to 'bouwt'.
The Scary Librarian
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of The Scary Librarian
The Banff Springs hotel is beautiful. Excellent service and help whenever you need it. Above and beyond! And the location can't be beat.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Feel good story of the day: Free Chicken!

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/409908
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
When does curling season begin again?

What's Tim Horton up to these days?

Just kidding, I love my Northern Brothers and Sisters. Most of my North American ancestors are from the north (family "Gadbois"). If I could get away with working legally up there I'd move back to Toronto in a heartbeat. Being an illegal was a little too tough on me...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Who knows what Canada's national sport is (without googling for it, I mean)?

Warning, this is a trick question ...
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Two industries you might never have associated with Canada:

Shrimp farming!

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news......&k=55643

Video game development!

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/......1ea26c4d
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
National sport of Canada is curling. South Park has a new episode dedicated to the Canadians.

My former company provided sound support to the gaming industry (SoundMax) and yes I knew they had some good companies involved with video game development.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You forgot to mention that Canada is making efforts to go against Germany in the production of Ice Wine (no, I'm not making that up).
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2008-04-03 22:10, MagicSanta wrote:
National sport of Canada is curling.

Sorry, that's a misconception. It was a trick question, as we actually have TWO national sports. Hockey is the 'winter' national sport; lacrosse is the 'summer' national sport.

http://www.pch.gc.ca/progs/sc/legislation/n-16_e.cfm

National Sports of Canada Act

CHAPTER N-16.7 (1994, c. 16)

[N-16.7]

An Act to recognize hockey and lacrosse as the national sports of Canada

[Assented to 12th May, 1994]

Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and House of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:

SHORT TITLE

Short title

1. This Act may be cited as the National Sports of Canada Act.

NATIONAL SPORTS OF CANADA

Hockey and lacrosse to be national sports

2. The game commonly known as ice hockey is hereby recognized and declared to be the national winter sport of Canada and the game commonly known as lacrosse is hereby recognized and declared to be the national summer sport of Canada.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2008-04-03 22:11, MagicSanta wrote:
You forgot to mention that Canada is making efforts to go against Germany in the production of Ice Wine (no, I'm not making that up).

Ice wine is good stuff. Have you tried it?

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
thorndyke
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of thorndyke
As a Canadian, I hereby state that I have no interest in either hockey or lacross.
Give me a decent baseball game instead.
My favorite sports fans are .....curling fans, no hooliganism there, some shouting maybe, but they don't seem to have brawls.
Is there any magic collectable that is worth anywhere near the highest priced sports collectable?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Lacross isn't a sport, it is my friend from highschools last name and he aint no sport! ha ha!

John, I am good friends with a guy who is a great advocate and vinter of ice wines and I've had them. They actually are excellent but I think Ice Wines are not well known among the wine people. Hard as it may for some to believe I have business and social relationships going back over a quarter century with Canada and have been a non resident importer there for a looong time.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Lest any believe Canadian politics are boring, we do have a titillating sex scandal from time to time:

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=549786
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Canadian Stuff (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL