The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Word In A Million Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
stanz
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of stanz
Incidentally, I made up my own version of this effect following some instructions I saw in one of the classic books (can't remember which one - is it Tarbell?) for my first-ever performance of a mental magic effect (before I became a mentalist) when I was in college more than 2 decades ago.

I used the front cover as the hot area, didn't give any instructions on how to write the words properly nor any reason for them to write it down (that I can remember). Subject wrote her word down, kept the slip, and returned the book to me. I flipped through it and said she could have chosen any page and any word from the tens of thousands of words there.

Luckily for me her writing was big and bold and I never realised the trouble I would be in if it wasn't.

I invited her on stage, where 2 whiteboards were back to back. I asked her to stand in front of one while I stood in front of the other one. The audience could see the edges of the whiteboard and both of us facing each other, separated by the boards. This is the opposite of the "check-to-cheek" stance so beloved of magicians everywhere.

At the count of three, we would both write the word at the same time.

I then turned her board to face the audience while she stood on her end, for them to see her word. At this stage still nobody knew what I wrote.

I then turned my board around.

There were gasps from the audience on my end as my word slowly came into view, until it reached her point of view.

What happened next shocked me and the audience.

She screamed (like literally, SCREAMED), and ran out of the hall!

I don't remember if they applauded after that, as I didn't expect her reaction to be so strong. I totally forgot what my patter was to be at that point, as I was wondering what got into her.

But it was a reaction that any one of us would die for.

Later some audience members came up to me to ask if she was a stooge. The fact that they actually thought of this possibility shows you just how strong this effect is in its purest form.
TheGingerWizard
View Profile
Special user
561 Posts

Profile of TheGingerWizard
I have used the paralabs stuff with book covers for ages, works a treat
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Word In A Million Question (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL