The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Poll about magic software/database (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Suppose you saw a computer database that stores and archives your effects, listing descriptions, materials needed, method, and an ability to insert several photos and/or files such as ebooks. Ability to print reports that list all the effects you know, as well as a detail effect sheet for each effect. There is also a ranking system and needs practice flag to help manage your effects.

If you were to store your effects in a computer database like this, what 3 features or abilities would be "must have"?

What reason(s) would you NOT use a computer database to store/archive your effects?

If a database were available that met your needs, what price points would you consider a "no-brainer - buy it now", and where would be the point in which you say, "No, not spending that much on it...."? 9.95, 12.95, 14.95, 19.95, 24.95, 29.95?

I am a software developer by day - amateur magician by night - and have designed a few prototypes for a magic database and would like to bring this to market. But first, I would like to know more of what the community would like to see.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
If I'm not not mistaken, I recall two sources that mention organizing tricks.
"The Amateur Magician's Handbook" mentions using index cards.
I think "The Magic of Michael Ammar" book also has some ideas on this.

Pricing something like this? I don't really know.
For me, I prefer keeping it on paper and as simple as possible.
Others will want all the details of the effects, placement and pocket management of props, resources, possible sleights, length of the routines, prop you begin with and end with and where they will be, etc, etc.

All I can say is pick what you think is a reasonable price and give it a shot.
You can always lower the price if it doesn't go as expected.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20493 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
"If you were to store your effects in a computer database like this, what 3 features or abilities would be 'must have'?"

1. Venue (close up, stage, platform, mental, TV, walk-around, etc.)

2. Time and space requirements (time needed and space needed for performing, setup, striking, repacking and transporting)

3. Other requirements: Volunteers, helper, setup, sequence demands, staging, music, PA, lighting, angles, etc.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com http://www.magicbysander.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Poll about magic software/database (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL