The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Snowstorm Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
Quote:
On 2008-03-14 18:55, Fredrick wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-03-11 18:43, ERIC wrote:
Going back to 1971, there was a young magician at IBM Ring 200 by the name on Don Hanko. He used an old vaccume to animate a balloon to move back and forth while floating above his table as he was off about five feet making the magical gestures. Also during this, confette was made to fly up (although not from his hands) ala snowstorm.

Afterward, he showed me his set up which was built into his table, and he told me that it was an old concept (even back then) that he reworked for his needs, and to fit his dove routine.

Eric,

The effect of floating a balloon with an air source was an Abbott's product. Of course, many of the effects that they have sold over the years were purchased from the magician/inventor. Bryce's Screen is a good example.

All the best,

~ Fredrick

I am aware of this, but my point was that Don also used confette during his routine. He would float the balloon back and forth then reach over and burst the balloon making confette blow up into the air (Like in Snowstorm) and out of the confette, he would produce a dove.
Bottom line is KEVIN WAS NOT the first to have confette blowing up into the air. He might have been the first to use a fan instead of the outflow from a vaccume, but...

I hope this makes my position a little clearer. And No, I do not believe that Kevin STOLE from Don.. There have been many effects over the years that have been indipendently developed by more than one magician.
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1631 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
I'm just getting started in magic. Is Snowstorm itself an effect you have to purchase to use, or can confetti and the production of it be used without getting into trouble?

I'm a Christian and I can see some really cool applications for this when talking about manna from heaven, especially with a dove production involved.

As for the source of the wind; if and when you ever get permission to build something Tony, have you considered a model airplane fan? I don't know if all of them are too loud or not, but it may be worth looking into. You might need to build a cage to help direct the flow, but it could probably be done cheaply. You could even use the fan for a small RC hovercraft and be able to direct the flow with the rudder system.

God Bless-

Preston
Magic is the bacon in the breakfast of life.

God bless you and have a magical day
Bradacal
View Profile
Special user
595 Posts

Profile of Bradacal
Tony,

Ethics and rights aside, Im not debating whether to contact Kevin, I will stay out of that argument, regardless though

Put the fan in a Tackle Box.... to me that would make the most sense...especially if you could use that tackle box at times earlier in the show...ie as a ditch or just somewhere you keep your props in....
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1321 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Quote:
On 2008-03-30 18:16, Preston68 wrote:
I'm just getting started in magic. Is Snowstorm itself an effect you have to purchase to use, or can confetti and the production of it be used without getting into trouble?

I'm a Christian and I can see some really cool applications for this when talking about manna from heaven, especially with a dove production involved.
God Bless-

Preston

The basic Snowstorm is very old magic and you would have no trouble performing it in it's basic form. Where the ethical issues come into play is how the confettii is lauched into the air. The Snowstorm really wasn't that big of a deal to most magicians until Copperfield performed it in one of his shows. In that version, he used a theatrical snow machine to literally fill the theater with snow. I'm not sure he was the first to do this, but he definitely caused all the snowstorm furor that happened. He even published ads in the magic magazines warning people to not use the snow machine angle in their shows.

At the same time, Kevin James was performing his version that used the fan to launch a large amount of confettii. He sells his apparatus and though there have been a lot of knock-offs, his is reasonably priced and good quality.

Unfortunately, the real effect of the snowstorm is being lost in a unspoken contest of who can produce the most confettii. The classic effect was one a magician using his power and hands to transform a wet ball of tissue paper into a beautiful shower of dry confettii resembling snow and was usually combined with other paper transformations like a torn and restored, color changes, or shape shifting. Done this way the illusion is all about changes and transformations. The idea of the snowstorm probably came from the idea of the rains of summer becoming the snow of winter. When the illusion is about this, the confettii is a representation of the transformation and it doesn't take a lot to create the magical impression.

However, in the last 15 years or so, the effect has become a production illusion as opposed to a transformation and has become about the magician becoming a "fire hose of confettii" shooting a huge stream of paper over the heads of the audience. Granted, this can be spectacular, but in my opinion, a lot of the real charm and magic of the effect is being forgotten.

Thanks,
Richard
dlachance
View Profile
Veteran user
Mississippi
343 Posts

Profile of dlachance
The motor fan from one of those outdoor blowup decorating things you see at christmas is very quiet. Christmas is over so they may be hard to come by....however, if you go to a party store like party city you make be able to get a smaller birthday related blowup figure (i had a scooby doo for my kid). The fan is very quiet, already ducted and mountable.

I guess I will be the first to pull a fan from a scooby doo inflatable and use it to blow confetti around a room....I claim it...it's mine....you may not use it..... just kidding.

While I do respect Kevin James and his mind (I have several of his creations) I am certain that many have used air to animate confetti (and isn't that what a fan is, just a way to move air). In fact, I remember David Copperfield using several fans to do just that with his snowstorm. Oh wait, he didn't hide his. So if we hide the fan does that mean I am in ethics violation. Or is it a matter of where I hide it. I have a confetti cannon. It uses air to move confetti...is that a violation too. Arrrgghhhhhh, it is all so confusing.

Magically,
Dorian
-Dorian LaChance
Mississippi's Favorite Birthday Party Magician and Family Entertainer
www.magicbydorian.com
www.magicalmississippibirthday.com
dlachance
View Profile
Veteran user
Mississippi
343 Posts

Profile of dlachance
BTW.....that was a nice post Richard...
-Dorian LaChance
Mississippi's Favorite Birthday Party Magician and Family Entertainer
www.magicbydorian.com
www.magicalmississippibirthday.com
owln_1
View Profile
Loyal user
dallas /now live by tulsa
222 Posts

Profile of owln_1
There's winter time in China in Tarbell's. Owln_1
Mike McEathron
View Profile
Regular user
Peterborough Ontario Canada
164 Posts

Profile of Mike McEathron
I I just got snow IV.... from kevin james....it is not noisey a gehtto blaster would be enough to cover the small amount of noise.....I did it in my living room with high ceilings it does blow the snow storm very high at least 20 feet and kevin s snow loads give you a really nice effect and the best part is you make
them yourself for pennies per load !
I wuld reccomed you get kevins product to support him and his effect.
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1239 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
I thought I owed the Café and the magical community a little follow up on this thread. I have learned a lot about magic since I began this thread almost a year ago.

I did contact Kevin James via - e-mail. He was very polite and of course did indicate that the snow storm animator was his intellectual property and desired that no one try to reproduce a product similar to his. Knowing what I know now, this is no surprise, and I respect his request.

Bottom line - I have abandoned my attempts to make my own version of the snow animator. I did create one in a soft sided tackle box with some foam insulation to muffle the noise. It was made with a small construction type fan that had a circular blower cage. The fan was hooked to a small recharable battery (also contained in the bag).

It worked, but I was never satisfied with the noise level to use the item in a show. I was also never comfortable enough with the ethical issues involved to violate Kevin's work. I do respect the R&D that Kevin has put into his product and his designs are certainly far greater than anything I could produce.

I also believe that novice magicians building poor quality props can hurt magic. I have enough sense to know when something is stage worthy and when it is not, and my version of this was certainly not.

It was fun thinking about it for a few months, but if I use a snow animator in my show in the future, it will be one of Kevins. Thanks Kevin for all your work on this, you have added wonder to many shows all over the world. Maybe I'll find a used one at a good price one day.
From the Encouraging Magic of...

Tony Thomas

www.magictonythomas.com
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1229 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
Tony:

What about producing butterfly storm.

Past Thanksgiving I perform a mentalism show to family members and friends at home and closed performing a butterfly prediction routine where a lot of them fly around the room, Amazing!

I got great respond and thinking to add it in some special events.

I used one of my daughter’s toys. The Elefun Butterfly Catchin' Game.

And I'm not violating any rights!
Brett Sirrell Magician
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Brett Sirrell Magician
I looked at building one after a friend showed me his and how naff it was.
The best version I have seen was mounted in the corner of a bar stool youtube search "LOKI" and its in his routine. He sits at an angle on the stool with the corner sticking out between his legs. Completely unoticable and natural.
Ok so the fan to use. Go to a model airplane shop. You want a Electric Ducted Fan (EDF) unit. Used for powering electric model jets. You will get a fan and motor unit that gives a powerful column of air.

Basic ones come with a 400 motor. you can just connect this straight to a variable resistor to control the speed and a switch and then a buggy pack 7.2v power supply. Or I would suggest to buy a speed controller unit from the model shop, but this usually connects to a receiver but you don't need this so you can use a servo adjuster in place of the reciever. look here: http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=A0320107&pid=W487062

Ok now that should give you a good blast, but if you want a nice quiet tornado and get your snow into the back of the auditorium then buy a brushless motor and speed controller. You will need the speed controller for these motors, plus the servo adjuster.

Let us know how you get on. I would love to see a snow storm with a bruchless motor! That would be awsome!!!
Brett Sirrell Magician and entertainer
www.brettsirrell.co.uk
Magic Kevin
View Profile
New user
Maryland - United States
77 Posts

Profile of Magic Kevin
Honestly, when I first saw the effect with a snowstorm, I saw it on youtube with a hand fan. I thought that it is nice to be able to do that and pretty magical to make the snow appear but I found it funny that a magician has to work tirelessly waving a hand fan and can't just use 'magic' to make the snow fly. So after just thinking for about a maximum of 10 seconds, I thought that a huge improvement to the design would be to literally just hide a fan! Now I don't see why someone else who is willing to put the time forth can't make their own device to accomplish that effect.
Kevin Smile
AaronishMagic
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of AaronishMagic
I second MagicKAmazing. Kevin James did come up with the devise on his own. But the effect itself can be thought of easily without ever seeing his performance. Somebody here do their ambitious card and feel guilty about using a dxxble lift?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Snowstorm Question (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL