The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » You ever get recognized? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I was helping a customer pick out a digital camera at Wal*Mart when he looked at me and said; "You don't know me?" I said that I didn't. Turned out he runs the snack kiosk at Roger Williams Park where I'd performed a few time last summer. He said to his friend; "He does magic, (to me) show him." So I did a quick French Drop and they were impressed. (Didn't have time for anything more.)

Ever have someone come up and mention they knew you from the street?
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
Isn't that a cool feeling?
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
I have been recognized...and it's a great feeling I agree.

That being said, if I am not prepared to do justice to my sleight of hand abilities (modest as they may be) then I will not perform for someone impromptu. Rather, I'll hand out a business card and suggest that they book me for their next corporate function or block party.

THAT being said, I'm ALWAYS preprared to do justice to my sleight of hand abilities. I'm like a boyscout, mixed with a ninja, mixed with smoke & shadows.

I am half cat, half dragon and half warrior monk.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
There are certain members of this forum that also feel that I am three-quarters turtle...but this is just a misinterpretation of my genius.
kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
Quote:

Half not good with fractions

:)
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
marD
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of marD
Quote:
On 2008-03-07 11:16, kid iowa wrote:
Quote:

It's fuzzy math...Smile

I haven't been recognized yet but my daughter is always quick to point out to others that I do magic...lol Sometimes it's "Dad, do that one where you make the card..." and I have to smile and tell her to hush...lol

Mike
At Ease Tees - Christian apparel and other items!
marD
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of marD
Quote:
On 2008-03-07 11:16, kid iowa wrote:
Quote:

It's fuzzy math...Smile

I haven't been recognized yet but my daughter is always quick to point out to others that I do magic...lol Sometimes it's "Dad, do that one where you make the card..." and I have to smile and tell her to hush...lol

Mike
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Quote:
On 2008-03-07 10:25, Chad wrote:
...I am half cat, half dragon and half warrior monk.

And this is from a high school math teacher. BTW Chad I never say your 3/4 turtle, only half turtle.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
DoctorCognos
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of DoctorCognos
Interestingly enough, the kids seems to remember me more than the adults.

Or maybe they just have fewer social inhabitions and are willing to say 'Look! There is the magic guy we saw at ...fillinyourevent....'

But I rarely have adults acknowledge me............

I don't do a kids show b y any stretch of the imagination. But I do a family friendly show and treat the kids and adults the same. Maybe that is why they remember me. I don't perform down to them.

The Doctor
The Doctor Knows.....
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Everwhere I go in Berkshire County I am accosted by individuals that have seen my shows, whether on the street or at somebodys backyard party or the numerous times I've been in the paper.

I'm used to being known and well liked by countless thousands of adoring fans, it's humbling, but I do like the old ego stroking occasionally.

SUPERSTAR!
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
It happened again!

I was out at one of the areas grocery stores tonight and wouldn't you know it...I have a lady come up to me, praising my obvious magical abilities, she had seen a b-day party show I had done months ago...well, she raved.

Her favorite was the eggbag, or so she said.
<BR>I never inhale Smile
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Quote:
On 2008-03-08 01:11, johnnymystic wrote:
Her favorite was the eggbag, or so she said.

What, you didn't show her your tea bag...or she just didn't like it as much?
flooglestreet
View Profile
New user
New York
63 Posts

Profile of flooglestreet
I was working in California and somebody asked me if they had seen me in Key West, which they had. didn't get an extra tip. Smile
If ya wanna be the Top Banana, Ya gotta start at the bottom of the Bunch (Johnny Mercer)
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
I was leaving the grocery store and the Girl Scouts were selling cookies. One started to ask me if I wanted to buy some and it went like this "Would you like to ...IT'S THE MAGIC MAN FROM QUAKER STEAK! (one of the restaurants where I perform.) All the girls gathered round and begged me to do a couple of tricks. Always carry coins and 2 sponge balls.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
marD
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of marD
I haven't been to Quaker Steak in a looooong time. I'm glad that you're a local celebrity there...Smile
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
ALL THE TIME! My family and I can't go anywhere without "HEY...it's The Balloon Guy", or whispering after we pass. The park, Wal-Mart, Kroger, our town square, anywhere. Guess I've been entertaining too long.

Steve
DJBrenton
View Profile
Regular user
Midlands, England
129 Posts

Profile of DJBrenton
Quote:
On 2008-03-09 17:26, Stevethomas wrote:
ALL THE TIME! My family and I can't go anywhere without "HEY...it's The Balloon Guy", or whispering after we pass. The park, Wal-Mart, Kroger, our town square, anywhere. Guess I've been entertaining too long.

Steve

I get the same thing. Unfortunately I'm also good at recognising faces from my shows but not placing them. At my local supermarket one day I saw a woman who I knew was a regular at one of my shows somewhere but didn't know where. *** I knew her face though. I mentioned it to my wife and she sort of did a double take then looked a little oddly at me. Right about then I realised that this woman was pretty attractive and that my wife might be mistaken about why I recognised her. That might explain the odd look she was giving me. Then I found out why my wife had a quizzical look 'So she's not been our next-door-neighbour for the past four years then?'. Well I knew I knew her from somewhere.
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
My wife has always been uncomfortable when other good looking women stop to talk to me about a show they had seen. At times my wife thinks I enjoy what I do too much...well I do.
<BR>I never inhale Smile
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
It forced me to learn more impromptu magic tricks and business card tricks and to re-read Aye Jay's "Golden Rule of Schmoozing".
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Work & pitch at a lot of markets & festival expos etc not including our Professional evening cabaret & theatre shows

Few people I don't know yell out hey magic guy etc at many markets or local malls & if people remember anything its usually the rice paper trick (normal paper) but I tell them its rice paper as I change into a $20 note -bill switch-people love & remember money magic, before pitching Svengali decks with a tried & tested routine.

Nice feeling as you think thank god somebody was watching !!!!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » You ever get recognized? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL