The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Spectators needed (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
433 Posts

Profile of Hushai
I am a perennial beginner, so I feel justified in posting here, even though I've been interested in magic since I was 6, and I'm now 60. Smile My question has to do with a fascinating quotation from an old interview with the late, great Orson Welles that appeared on the Tannen's blog recently. Mr. Welles said that he never did much AMATEUR magic because he didn't have any friends who were interested in magic. Since he was a famous magician in his time, I take it that he meant that he did PROFESSIONAL magic, performing for paying audiences rather than for the amusement of friends and family.
I am not Orson Welles, by a vast distance, but he and I have at least this one thing in common: I don't have any family or friends who really like to see magic performed either, not even by an accomplished magician (which I have never really been). And, of course, UN-like Orson Welles, I am not a professional magician either. Beginners are always told to start out performing for family and friends -- but if they are not available, what is a beginner to do? I don't want to be tiresome to the people around me and pester them to see the tricks I'm working on. So, who to show them to? I guess this is one good argument for joining a magic club, or otherwise getting some NEW friends who do appreciate the art of magic so as to have willing spectators. Does anyone else have this problem? Where do you find people to watch your magic?
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I don't particularly have the problem, but I have never found any difficulty finding someone to show a trick to. The lady at the dry cleaner's counter, the waitress in the restaurant, somebody standing in line with me at some store. There is always somebody willing to watch and enjoy.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3617 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
You already know the answer - join a magic club. There has to be a good one in St. Louis. It's the best thing I ever did; wish I would have done it 40 years ago.

Jim
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Check with local Children's hospitals, etc., to see if they need some entertainment for the bedridden kids, etc. You will go through a rigorous vetting process, but it can be a great way to work for a very appreciative group, if only one on one.

Check with your local volunteer center, etc. Best,
Brad Burt
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
A magic club would be a good start. You can also hang around in your fave magic store - if the place facilitates small gatherings...

Andy
Cards never lie
billm55
View Profile
Regular user
Des Moines, Iowa
144 Posts

Profile of billm55
Good advice from Brad. I volunteer (performing magic) bedside at a children's hospital and it is a wonderful experience. Not only are the kids and staff appreciative but it also has been a great way for me to hone my skills. I work for 2-4 hours every Sat. afternoon and it's sharpened my skills considerably. I also belong to a local IBM chapter in my hometown and have gained an immense amount of knowledge there also. I'm getting close to feeling that I'm finally starting to move from the beginners level to the "next" level (whatever that is). Take every opportunity to perform, even if its in the line at the supermarket Smile .
Bill Mogolov
The Mental Magic of M
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20494 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Hushai,

I vote with Jim on this one. Magic clubs are a grand solution to getting to show your stuff. And you are in the Center of the Magic Earth! Saint Louis is the home of Ring 1! http://www.ibmring1.com/

I don't believe in "ambush magic" as such. (That is trapping people on the elevator to see a magic trick. LOL) However, there are opportunities to do magic for small groups. Do get permission first. Hospitals, scouts, nursing homes, awards banquets, city park festivals, etc. take all the free entertainment they can get. Expose yourself! LOL

One often missed is the "Bloodmobile" for the Red Cross with people waiting to give blood.

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bradley Roberts
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas
413 Posts

Profile of Bradley Roberts
I agree the magic clubs are a great place. There you can share what you know and there is anyways someone there to watch.

One thing that our IBM257 club in Las Vegas does is we have themed nights where we should what we know in that theme... Robe, Card, Coin, etc... Then after you are done you will get some great feedback.

We also put together free shows for the girl scouts, boy scouts, or who ever that would want to see a magic show. We do this at least once a year and offer the guys that don't have much stage time or any at all the chance to show off. What is nice about this is that you have the support of the pros to help you if you needed.

I think most groups work in this manner... so check them out... IBM, SAM, and/or Kidabra. You will find the support to show your stuff there. Smile

B-Rad
B-Rad "The Kids Magician"
Brad Kids Magic Website
"A child's smile is one of life's greatest blessings."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Spectators needed (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL