The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Deep Astonishment (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

clui
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of clui
I have only read the effect and never seen it before. I am wondering if the effect is good and how are the reviews about it out there.
sak07
View Profile
New user
Stirling/Manchester UK
54 Posts

Profile of sak07
There is tonnes of info on this site about this effect, just do a search ?

But to just recap, the majority of reviews on this site rate it highly and its a very well thought of effect. I personally haven't got the effect but I've seen it performed and if I'm honest I don't like. The wallet looks cheap and just shouts...Gimmicked !! The routine is a little confusing also. However there is a deluxe version with a better quality wallet that sounds better. Performed in the right hands this is a real miracle, but if you're going to get it get the deluxe version.
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1504 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
The wallet is fine. But it's not really a wallet. It's a check registry, like the one you get with a new batch of checks. Put some checks in it and it looks quite ordinary and doesn't shout gimmick.
nitram
View Profile
Veteran user
London U.K.
308 Posts

Profile of nitram
The original wallet that came with it is a long plastic one. I bought an ordinary brown leather wallet and converted it myself.
You can buy one from the deep astonishment website for $25, but I bought my wallet from a charity shop for 75p ($1.12).
I filled it to look like my normal wallet.

Smile
JustAnotherMagi
View Profile
New user
Oak Canyon
79 Posts

Profile of JustAnotherMagi
One of the best card magic effects out ther. There is no way to describe how powerful the reactions are.
"I am the best magician ever..."
-The Conceited Part of My Mind
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
the two main downsides for me are the wallet and the presentation. The wallet isn't very nice looking and it is a little too long to look normal. The trick doesn't come with presentation for the cards in your wallet, they just appear there.
daniel1113
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of daniel1113
redstreak,

You can greatly improve the trick if you present that "wallet" as a checkbook. All you have to do is add some checks and none of the spectators will even think twice about it. Also, come up with your own presentation. I agree that the one included in the manuscript is weak, but there are literally thousands of ways you could present this trick. However, I must say that I prefer the good old Anything Deck. I hope this helps.
Daniel M. Carrico
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
You can REALLY greatly improve the trick by getting rid of the wallet altogether and performing "The Anything Deck."
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
I'm kinda young to have a checkbook, I'm thinking about modifying a wallet of my own to do the effect.
nitram
View Profile
Veteran user
London U.K.
308 Posts

Profile of nitram
You will still need a long wallet as you need fabric expansion. A standard billfold will be too tight.
markjens
View Profile
Loyal user
N. CA
213 Posts

Profile of markjens
Wow, I guess I am surprised by the mostly lukewarm responses here. I have seen it done not-so-well, but cannot blame it on the trick. When done well, and mind you this doesn't take a Houdin, the result is stunning. I have seen magicians absolutely drop their jaws over this effect, and the backward construction was pretty slow in coming due to the nature of the thing. I give it a big thumbs up, it doesn't take all that much to fool the lay public, but with this one I've had magicians pulling out the credit card fast. Now *that's* magic Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Deep Astonishment (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL