The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Psychics and Mentalists (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
My understanding is that a Psychic is someone who believes he has special "psychic" abilities or powers that he or she might use in the real world or on stage, while a Mentalist is someone who uses specialize knowledge, illusion, suggestion, feats or memory, etc., for entertainment or theatrical purposes.

I'd be interested to know if others have thoughts on the distinctions between a psychic and a mentalist.

- entity
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17523 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Could a Psychic practice Mentalism?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Yes, they could. Not quite sure why they would want to, but I'm sure some will say they do. That's up to them.

Perhaps posters could also say which they see themselves as being.

I'm a Mentalist.

- entity
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17523 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I've had Psychic experiences but there is the issue of control. If a person has visions or other paranormal events in their lives, can they be psychic without control?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Dunno. Good question -- for another thread.

Do you have any thoughts on the distinctions between a Psychic and a Mentalist, Slim?

T. Baxter
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17523 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I guess my problem is the distinction of Being Psychic and being A Psychic. So what is a Psychic by definition?
Not trying to be difficult ... Just trying to get a clear definition on Psychic and Mentalist.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10576 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
To help complexify da issue:

Magician

Magician who performs mental magic

Mental Magician

Mentalist

Mystery Entertainer

Psychic Entertainer

Gospel Magician (and other Clerical Magi)

Paranormalist

Psychic

Medium / Spirit Channeller

Shaman

There are certain grey areas... but a psychic versus a psychic entertainer versus a mentalist is somethng interesting...

Oh and being psychic - I think (correct me if I m wrong) - its not about traits and abilities but how someone proclaims themselves to society that Entity is talking about?
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Actually, I've given my own definition, but asked that others provide theirs.

In providing the distinctions between psychics and mentalists, I'm hoping that people will include their definition of each.

It might include, as Spektor points out, how each proclaims themselves to society.

- entity
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2076 Posts

Profile of yachanin
I believe whether "being psychic" or being "a Psychic" implies a consistent, special awareness/sense (not among the ordinary seven senses) or ability/power which are usually classified as "paranormal," "supernatural," or some similar label, regardless of the degree of control exercised. I would not include those individuals who have had occasional "strange" or "unusual" experiences which might be classified as paranormal.

Entity's definition for "Mentalist" seems clear.

Regards, Steve
magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of magicusb
I believe we fall under

Mystery Entertainers
&
Paranormalists

Dick Brooks & Dorothy Dietrich
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2076 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Magicusb,

Who is the "we" to which you refer?

Sorry. Didn't notice both names at the end of your post.

Regards, Steve
magicusb
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of magicusb
Dorothy Dietrich.

In our current show, "Haunted! Mind Mysteries & THE Beyond!", though I am featured, there are two of us performing.

Dick Brooks & Dorothy Dietrich
Check out http://HoudiniOpoly.com

Houdini Museum Tour & Magic Show.
Only building in the world dedicated to Houdini.
http://Houdini.org
http://HoudiniDisplays.com
http://PsychicTheater.com
Scranton, Pa (570) 342-5555
"The truth shall make you free, but first it will make you angry." -Robert Ingersoll-Atheist (on the mind of Houdini when he died.)

We are thrilled we were able to bring The Grim Game to the world! Thanks TCM.
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2076 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Hi Magicusb,

In what way(s) do you see a Paranormalist different than a Mentalist or Psychic?

Regards, Steve
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2081 Posts

Profile of gabelson
They can call you "mentalists", they can call you "paranormalists", they can call you "psychics... just hope they call you.
RileyG
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
835 Posts

Profile of RileyG
And their check clears...
Signed,
Riley G Matthews Jr
SAG-AFTRA actor
Www.RileyG.com
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2081 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Amen. Ask for at least half up front.
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
I see a psychic as someone who can perform genuine feats of telepathy and or clairvoyance. I'm a psychological illusionist, as I create illusions that are experienced more psychologically than anything else.

I have no idea (and have never known) what the word 'mentalist' means (aside from it's current common definition, which is 'lunatic'), so I would never apply it to myself. I always thought it to be a 'nothing' word, in that it does not say anything at all, aside from having something to do with the mind. Technically, psychic just means 'of the mind' as well. Over here (UK) to the public, 'mentalist' only means 'lunatic'. So I never use the term.
kriskraze
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of kriskraze
Quote:
Over here (UK) to the public, 'mentalist' only means 'lunatic'. So I never use the term.

True dat.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18823 Posts

Profile of IAIN
A full-blown psychic to me, would not go and perform on stage - as they'd see it as a waste of time, and potentially too confusing mentally to get hit by so many thoughts - they'd be making a tidy sum predicting horse racing events and things like that...or if they weren't that good - make a living telling people's potential future(s)...they would not be able to talk to the dead.

They would require absolutely nothing in the way of "material". No props, no cards, potentially no tarot either, cos if they were a top-notch psychic, they wouldn't necessarily need a physical deck...

In my mind, not all psychics would be created equal...bit like footballers, no matter how hard they train and apply themselves - they'd have a natural "limit".

Mind-athletes?!

Their overall remit would be to help people (and occasionally themselves). You would of course, as in all walks of life have some that would be just out for themselves, getting laid, making money and manipulating people to take care of them.

The caveat for the above is this: maybe, some people who feel as though they are psychic, are just naturally good at certain psychological techniques, yet do not realise that is what they are utilising. People who are highly empathic for example - are occasionally classed as "sensitives" - but it may be they are naturally highly skilled at face-reading (Ekman) yet are unaware of that principle.

mentalists or whatever comfy label you wish to attach to yourself - would be able to display a myriad of skill sets and esoteric knowledge...i use that word in the true sense...

just as an example:
exoteric - meaning outer more common knowledge, for example a basic kata learnt in martial arts, a basic block, kick, punch set...
esoteric - meaning inner lesser known principles, for example how to summon and control chi energy...

yeah - so a mentalist could be a scholar of the esoteric. Nothing occult in that; but has learnt closely guarded secrets/techniques from the worlds of psychology, linguistics/body language/hypnosis/whatever.

And has then decided to display and share what he has now learnt to do in a thought-provoking and entertaining way. They may even emulate the psychic world, by very different means. They would be able to combine various principles to achieve highly unusual outcomes.

Mentalists would have to be able to control their environment to achieve these things. They would do these things to provide an interesting and entertaining evening for their audience.

They would also form attachments to forums and enjoy arguing.
I've asked to be banned
DR STEVE HOSKINS
View Profile
Special user
North Wales, UK.
831 Posts

Profile of DR STEVE HOSKINS
I describe myself to laymen as a psychic, and I do beleive I have some BASIC psychic ability.
- yes I suppose I am stretching a point a bit, but to describe myself as a magician / mentalist just takes all the mystery away, people either don't understand the term mentalist or see it as a person that uses trickery to perform psychic phenomonen,[which is true of course].

a psychic does not need to be an entertaining performer, a mentalist does.
- a psychic just needs to be able to demonstrate an unexplainable feat of some kind,so that suits my style better.

spectators prefer to beleive what they just saw as some kind of psychic feat not a clever magic trick.

I think magicians/mentalists get too hung up on this subject, lets move on !
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Psychics and Mentalists (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL