The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Psychics and Mentalists (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1418 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Quote:
On 2008-03-10 13:30, bdekolta wrote:
Thanks John that was a fun clip.

I'm pleased that you enjoyed it.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5783 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Hi Bill,

There are some parts of your post I agree with, and others I don't understand the origin of.
Quote:
Mentalists sometimes use disclaimers out of respect for their audiences.

Yes, I agree. "SOMETIMES"

Quote:
Possibly, but more often it appears they use them for the reason I have stated above; and for the reason you have stated elsewhere, a theatrical purpose, not a disclaiming one.

What I see is actions (here and elsewhere) and words which lead me to believe some or many are at odds with guilt that they wish to not contribute to the belief in something they disbelieve, yet they accept that their actions do contribute to that belief. Torn between their intention and their action.

Interestingly they do not change their actions, but instead use a "disclaimer" to justify their actions. I find it quite telling when one goes on tirades about not wanting to contributing to something, and then admits their actions do and dismiss that fact. Wouldn't someone truly devoted to that belief work even harder to achieve it.
Quote:
More significantly, whether you're right or not is totally irrelevant as to whether it's right to use a disclaimer, or not. By analogy, someone might feel guilty if they were to rob a bank, and you could state that the only reason they don't rob banks is because of the guilt they would feel, but that wouldn't change the fact that robbing a bank is wrong.

Are you insinuating I said it was wrong to use a disclaimer?
Quote:
Attributing attributes to people is not a weak supporting argument, it's generally not an argument at all. (You did not do either of these, but the same can be said of labeling people, and name-calling).
Are you insinuating I did either of those? If so I'd like to know where so I can rectify that belief or action.

Quote:
If some people ignore a disclaimer, then it is ineffective for them. If others pay attention, and trust the performer, then the disclaimer clearly will have an effect. If the goal is sending a message, then clearly reaching some people is better than none.

And stopping some people from robbing banks might be better than stopping none, yet still we strive to stop ALL people from robbing banks. We don't just say, "Well, what are you going to do and let certain people go on robbing banks?"
Quote:
I agree, any message a performer wishes to convey should be clear, and usually concise, and ideally it should reach everyone.
Ideally, if that message fails to reach everyone, what do you do?
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3220 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
For me belief, or disbelief, or even the existence, or nonexistence of phenomenon, has absolutely nothing to do with the issue at all. It's about evidence.

And, for this type of decision, I use my intellect to choose, not my feelings. I believe this is most likely the case for other performers who use a disclaimer too. I admit, I could be wrong about that, although I don't think I am. If their show is scripted, it demonstrates forethought.

And, for the record, most of the time my disclaimer is not when I perform, it's a larger overall context of how we present the group I perform with, although, when I perform certain routines, I do make a joke that implies I will by lying to the audience at some point.

And, I agree, it's best for your message to reach everyone all of the time. It's probably not possible to do that though. I've read of people overseas who really believed that David Copperfield did real magic. I expect most of these people were probably later set straight by family, or friends.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Psychics and Mentalists (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL