We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Tora Magic's Zig Zag Version (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1364 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
And what ever happened to the MDA(Magic Dealers Association).
I remember in the 70's this was a BBB of magic companies.
Does this exist any more?

ACE
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
The MDA is still around. I just noticed it on a few shops I go to online.

http://www.magicdealers.com/

-Matt
-Matt
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7448 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
MDA never did enforce the ethics and rights. Some of the members ( not all) were the biggest offenders.

The new trick of these companies (from illegal countries with embargos against them) is to send the items out through another country; ie. Singapore, Kuwait, etc.

I suggest you guy from people who clearly but their name on their products and do not hide behind a veil of anonymity.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1364 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
Quote:
On 2008-07-29 11:38, hugmagic wrote:
MDA never did enforce the ethics and rights. Some of the members ( not all) were the biggest offenders.

The new trick of these companies (from illegal countries with embargos against them) is to send the items out through another country; ie. Singapore, Kuwait, etc.

I suggest you guy from people who clearly but their name on their products and do not hide behind a veil of anonymity.

Richard

Thanks for your answers, well spoken.

ACE
ReDeFiNe
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
275 Posts

Profile of ReDeFiNe
Hey Ace,

You are right that Tora Magic now has a registered company in Singapore. Its not easy to get a company in my hometown especially for Tora, from Iran. I oversee his company registration here with my corporate secretary and he got his company and banking stuff settled. Now the only thing is for him to find a place here in Singapore, as currently his stock is in my studio Smile

Jeremy
Jeremy Pei
www.TheSocialMagician.com

For Magicians by Magicians
www.RedefineMagicOutlet.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7448 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
So it I registered in Singapore, but does that still mean it is made in Iran?

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Dixie
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of Dixie
Hi Richard,

What is an illegal country ?
Is an illusion automatically bad if the creator is in such a country ?
Is it important to know where it was made if it comes completely legal from Singapore ?
(Do you smoke Cuban cigars when you buy them at your next duty free shop or do you reject them because they might have been made in Cuba ?) Smile

For me, the term "magic community" includes also magicians from countries like Iran, Cuba etc.
Maybe they where just not so lucky that they could decide where to live ?
ReDeFiNe
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
275 Posts

Profile of ReDeFiNe
Hi Richard,

The products still comes from Iran. And most of the props I have seen are of very good quality and workmanship.

Tora also sell magic from all around the world including Japan, Germany, Italy and USA products. Certain items from his website are not copied items if it was someone elses product, those are actual Original Products which Tora has bought for re-selling. He has also helped me to promote my items as well to all the dealers which he work with.

I agree with Dixie that the Magic Community should not have any prejudice against magicians of any countries.
Jeremy Pei
www.TheSocialMagician.com

For Magicians by Magicians
www.RedefineMagicOutlet.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7448 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
It is not magicians that have the prejuidance. It is a federal law not to import products or ship goods to Iran.

I will continue to pursue this matter at it is illegal to sell or import these items here.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Dixie
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of Dixie
Hi Richard,

I did not intend to challenge the US law. It nayway may not apply to someone in Asia.
Just wondering if an import from Singapore is illegal if the product (or parts of it) have been made in Iran and then sold to someone in Singapore who then sells it to US.
I simply do not know how this is handled in US.

Regards
Richard

P.S.: Just came to my mind: What about Brent Crude. Does the US import mineral oil from Iran or is that also blocked by federal law ?
I just don´t know.
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
I side with Richard, in that if a company that is REALLY basd in iran just registers a company "shell" in another country to sidestep the US LAWS then its just a B.S. way of sidestepping the law. Its also funny that SAM alllows them to advertise with them considering it is most probably totally illegal for them to sell anything to any US citizen.

They may advertise with IBM as well, but I don't know. I'm sure I saw a big full page expensive ad in the last SAM magazine I received.

Gotta check on the ibm side, but I think we should all email those organazations national presidents and ask them why this company who, attempting to sell products to US citizens in violation of federal laws... Is allowed to advertise to our members in the IBM and or SAM magazines.

Of course, besides their attempting to sell products to the US being probably illegal, there is also the matter of the many ethical problems with this company.

Also, let us not forgt this companys owner changing the spelling of his name and his appearance to apparently attempt to benefit from the hard work and good reputation of the REAL TORA.

Is money all that matters to the sam and ibm editors? Lets all call and email them for real and ask them about this matter. It is entirely ridiculous that they are taking out full page ads trying to sell their products in SAM/IBM magazines.

Disgusted,

Steven
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1364 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
...I'm currently editing this message...
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7448 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Guys,
I need some help on this to document that Tora Magic is made in Iran. I am trying to find the registration on this company and country of origin.

In the United States, it does not matter where the company is based. But if the objects made in Iran, it is illegal to import them.

As Timothy Drake pointed out, this is more of an ethical issue than a legal issue. But there are some legal issues that can be addressed.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Dixie
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of Dixie
Hi Richard,

isn't is nice that there are also magicians outside of US and are allowed to buy from wherever they want ?
I love to live in a free country.
:)

Regards
Richard
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7448 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, I agree I love to live in a free county. But that doesn't not mean supporting countries who have openly attack the United States and its people. Those same country would take away our freedoms and then many other things would be gone.

I have two nephews in the military (by choice). I thank God every day that there are young men like them who are willing to fight to maintain our freedoms. I am certainly going to support countries and people that would go against them or our county.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Dixie
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of Dixie
Hi Richard,
countries do not fight.
It is always people who fight and in each fight those who are in the frontline may not have any idea why the really are forced to fight.
I am sure that a majority of US citizens and also a majority of Iranian citizens just want to have a decent life with a reasonable income and the last thing they want is a war.

I fully agree with you that the current little big boss in Iran, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, is extremelly efficient to show the world that he is an idiot.

However, that does not make all Iranians criminals or idiots as well.

Also many people in other countries have a negative view on your current president and his war in Irak, where he still tries to find the weapons of mass destruction which where allegedly the reason for the war (and yet have to be found).

How would you feel if someone would call you a warmonger just because of your nationality ? Completelly unfair, right ?

I have friends in many countries. Some in democracies, some in dictatorships, some in pure musilim countries.
I do not like some of these governments and I definitelly do not like religious fanatics.
But believe me, when it comes down to individual, the political system or the religion does not count too much. It can just end up in friendship between two people.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1307 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Anyone else got an email from Tora today?
Sent from my Typewriter
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7448 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes and a phone call. They now said they are located in Thailand.

I also received a blistering email from a suspended Café member ( I wonder why!), calling me a bigot against Iran and he attacked the US for attacking Iraq. He also admitted his dealer friend in the UK has trouble getting payments to Tora in Iran.

I rest my case guys and stand on my ethics and remarks.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
John Star
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of John Star
The world can be divided but not in magic.

John
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1307 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
Quote:
On 2008-10-01 17:53, hugmagic wrote:
Yes and a phone call. They now said they are located in Thailand.

Yes, that's what he said. I was about to write him back but decided against it as it really would have been futile.
Sent from my Typewriter
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Tora Magic's Zig Zag Version (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL