The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » reactions to dancing cane? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Just wondering what reactions you get to the dancing cane. I have seen it performed (live, and on Jeff McBride on Stage Vol 3) and it just seems so obvious to me. The hand movements leave no other option, especially with around the back moves etc.

So I was wondering if you get good reactions to your routine, or do people tend to watch with that 'It has to be string' look on their faces?

Thanks,

Chris.
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
Symmatrix
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Symmatrix
Good Question Chris ! I totally agree with you. Hope that someone out there can answer this.

Symmatrix

Smile
What We See Is Mainly Depend On What We Look For.
Only Those Who Can See The Invisible Can Do The Impossible.

Symmatrix Magic
boltt223
View Profile
Regular user
Arizona, USA
175 Posts

Profile of boltt223
Chris... I perform dancing cane whenever I have the right setting for it. I personally love doing it. Since I have friends and family in the audience they hear more good than bad comments. I still hear "How do you do that with the cane?" Answer... "It's magic". Smile
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2682 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
I added fire to my cane, and this dispells any obvious methods.

I float a living breathing girl and vanish her in mid air, and yet after the show the audience talks more about a floating stick that's on fire that vanishes into silks...go figure. Beautiful magic.

P.
Brand New: - MICRO VANISHING STATUE OF LIBERTY ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.tenyoelite.com
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
When performing the dancing cane, remember the shorter routine the better. Try animating the cane more than actually making it float.

I use my dancing cane in only the shows where I have control of the lighting and staging.

The effect can be beautiful when in the right hands. Smile
Magique Hands
View Profile
Loyal user
Lincoln, NE.
247 Posts

Profile of Magique Hands
I close my show with the Dancing Cane, but the cane itself does not float or dance at any one time for more than 20 seconds.

Watch Dirk Losander perform his routine... I''m sure you'll be a believer. The beauty and 'wonderment' of the effect should truly camoflage your method. If the audience is guessing ******, then the performer is doing something to tell them that (either by his hand movements, cane swings and moves, etc...).

Reactions... people remember the cane that floated and danced around as I said my goodnights.

Magically,
- - Troy
"If you go around sprinkling Woofle Dust on everything... people will think 'My... What an odd character." www.magicmafia.com
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1990 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Brevity is important when performing the Dancing Cane. Do ANYTHING long enough and you feed the audience exposure vs. wonder. I like the idea of 20 or 30 seconds. Thanks Troy.

How many brief moments last forever in our minds? Think about it.
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of 1908
Personally, I can say that is my worst trick! It is too obvious even with a good performance ... there are so many other great floating effects than the dancing cane...
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
inidyls
View Profile
Veteran user
NYC
315 Posts

Profile of inidyls
Killer effect , but keep it short! Smile
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
I agree inidyls. Short and sweet. Less is more. Smile
Luke Sherratt
View Profile
Loyal user
The Isle Of Wight, England
246 Posts

Profile of Luke Sherratt
Hi

I disagree with you. The dancing cane is one of the best tricks ever, the longer the routine the better. I do it in my act. When I do around the body go around with it. It takes people's minds off looking for a thread.

Go to a guy called Loki. Go to his site, he sells canes that are the lightest on the market. They are £15.99p (that's about $25) and buy his notes on the dancing cane too. It's worth it. Go to http://www.magicweek.co.uk then click on Magicians then go down the list and click on Loki.

Luke Smile Smile Smile
We're 106 miles from Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
All I can add to the above is to keep BOTH hands moving, especially the one connected to the cane, when I discovered this my routine improved 100%.

As far as audience reaction, I have found this to be extremely mystical, unexplainable and magical for an audience. Mind you I AM from Australia, we have animals here that jump up and down. Smile

Billy
johnr733
View Profile
New user
Denver, CO
66 Posts

Profile of johnr733
Having had the opportunity to see Peter Pitt do it, I can honestly say this— if it is performed right, it is breathtaking to behold. I don't think time matters, but it helps a lot if you're a good dancer. Like Fred Astaire dancing with a hat rack; people would end up being mesmerised by both the magic and the dexterity of the performer.
Backroomboy
View Profile
Regular user
David
114 Posts

Profile of Backroomboy
Peter Pitt was the best performer who did the dancing cane. But that was late sixties, early seventies. It has fallen into disuse since then.

Precisely because of that, it would probably be all right to use it again. But— I have to agree that the routine should be kept short, preferably woven into a routine and not presented entirely on its own.

There are some great moves, although they belie the fact that it's a ***** gag. Watch some old videos of Peter Pitt if you get the chance.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5700 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I saw Ben Caesar perform it a few years ago, when he had won a few contests. His routine was great! A good routine can make all the difference.
yosef_dov
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC area
242 Posts

Profile of yosef_dov
Greetings...

My use of dancing cane is this: I come out with it in hand... then I trip on something and the cane flies out of my hand - oops! But the cane doesn't fall down, it tries to run away from me... I manage to grab it, but then the naughty thing turns into a candle and a silk... how bizarre...

P.S. YES! It's very tricky getting it all
"working" and balanced right...

Smile

Oh yeah...
If you work with Fantasio stuff, or want to, GET HIS BOOK!

Joe
M-Illusion
View Profile
Special user
549 Posts

Profile of M-Illusion
I've been getting an incredible response with the cane for the past few years. (Been doing it for about 10 & those first few years weren't so great!) I make sure to only do a few moves & do them well. The routine is only about a minute long, but that's all it takes. Any more than that & you can kill the effect. At least that's my experience anyway.
Dmann
View Profile
Inner circle
Crossville, Tennessee
1683 Posts

Profile of Dmann
Check out my Dancing Cane 101 DVD at: http://www.store.yahoo.com/magicmusicand......aca.html
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Well I agree with most of what each of you has said...obviously the trick is a classic because it can really look like magic! Also obviously it has a very direct method and therefore is easy to tip if you aren't very clever.
Keeping it short is one key and the other is for you to do all that nasty homework on picking "that special material needed" for the method and learning about lighting and how it affects varying performance environments.
I love the cane but never do it anymore for fear of exposure unless the circumstance is just right and then...it kills! Good luck and keep em flying.
-Ed
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Less is more.
Learn to DANCE.
Think about the same thing with a golf club.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » reactions to dancing cane? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL