The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best Invisible Deck? (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
The greatest strength of the Brainwave Deck is also its greatest weakness. The different coloured card back is very powerful, but it also suggests that the deck might be gimmicked or that there are more "wrong" cards that have been added. As a result, it significantly increases the likelihood that spectators will want to examine the deck. With the Invisible Deck, spectators have no reason to think it's not an ordinary deck, because it comes across completely impromptu, and they will be convinced you've only used an ordinary deck. With the Brainwave Deck, they know you've been monkeying around with at least one card from another deck, maybe more.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Quote:
On 2008-03-10 23:26, madkiki wrote:
I want to buy an Invisible Deck, are there ID better than others? If so, who sells the best ID?

Hello, I have been using an ID for years and have found out a few things that I'd like to share with you. I found that it really depends on the deck, whether it be a cheap deck or a Bicycle deck. When you can spread without flashing, that's a GOOD deck.

I used to work at FAO Schwarz, NYC. I worked for Fantasma and they have TWO Excellent decks. The ID is very good and they call it Paranormal Deck. The other is their Svengali deck. (I can't remember what it's called?) It is very good because it is rough and smooth, so you can spread the cards, face up!

Both decks are worth a look. But then again, they also have another great deck, the Psychic deck, which is a shaved and marked deck!

But back to your original question.

I use a Bicycle ID when I am doing important shows and I use a cheap deck when I am doing hospital shows. When they are in good condition, both are just as effective.

Hope this helps a little?

Good luck...

20/31
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I do a jumbo ID in my show so everybody can see what is going on, and they are so easy to make I have no idea where to buy one. One big problem I have with my jumbo deck is the cards last much longer than the box so I carefully wrap my boxes with 2" packing tape, and they last for years.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Excellent tip about the tape, Al! And yes, they are easy to make!
rxwookie
View Profile
New user
Tennessee
59 Posts

Profile of rxwookie
As mentioned earlier, go with Haines House of Cards. They are honest and have good products. Get the Bicycle version.

Wook
If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a sucess unexpected in common hours.
~Henry David Thoreau
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1021 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
Also, check out Sankey's "Invisible" DVD, which contains tips for beginners and more advanced, with different routine ideas.

John
jocdoc
View Profile
Inner circle
Carlsbad, CA
1183 Posts

Profile of jocdoc
Quote:
On 2008-03-20 10:40, Topov wrote:
The greatest strength of the Brainwave Deck is also its greatest weakness. The different coloured card back is very powerful, but it also suggests that the deck might be gimmicked or that there are more "wrong" cards that have been added. As a result, it significantly increases the likelihood that spectators will want to examine the deck. With the Invisible Deck, spectators have no reason to think it's not an ordinary deck, because it comes across completely impromptu, and they will be convinced you've only used an ordinary deck. With the Brainwave Deck, they know you've been monkeying around with at least one card from another deck, maybe more.

I think that one's presentation of the Brainwave makes all of the difference in the world. I use Bob Elliott's Brainwave patter as a closer effect and it never fails to kill laypersons. By the time I reach the climax, they've been laughing so hard, followed by the sudden relevation and amazement, that no one seems to ever focus on the deck - they're just simply blown away.

On the other hand, had I simply used the deck as an out (similar to using the ID), I'm sure that many people would figure out that the deck was rigged.

I own both decks, but it's the Brainwave that I carry with me at all times.

jeff in san diego
http://www.medicine-in-motion.com
Life is an improv. The game goes on...
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
There are a few places that offer invisi decks and a learning DVD...

Im sure if you check Penguin Magic and Magic Depot - they all offer them.

My own site offers them as well http://www.magicvault.net

I like the invisi deck as an all purpose carry around. The brainwave is nice also, but I personally prefer the invisible decks. I own both, and use both. Sometimes the brainwave can be flashed and you end up revealing the gimmick if you aren't careful with position and handling.

The other deck I like to carry is a marked deck. They can be a lot of fun in a mentalism type way.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1524 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Once you have found your deck...
however you end up performing this, don't do it like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAsp0JKniXI
It,s about 2.30mins into the clip.
This has to be THE worst presentation of the effect, ever!
He even puts the card back into the deck "upsidedown" ??????
He's normally better than this
maybe instead of spending years learning how to juggle cards, he should work on the presentation instead?
Dynamo, shame on you........
MattSconce
View Profile
Special user
654 Posts

Profile of MattSconce
Quote:
On 2008-03-13 23:41, erlandish wrote:
In my opinion the best invisible deck is one that matches the sorts of cards you normally use. It's possible to make your own using material you can buy from your local magic store.

Absolutely!
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Mad I'll answer this for you:
Get yourself the dvd by Rick Castro the only thing you'll need. Rick is a good kid smart and has made an awsome dvd for the invisible deck.
Ps. Make your own. and I'll ad to this dvd from Marty Martini Grams-gaff cards.
chias
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of chias
Quote:
I want to buy an Invisible Deck, are there ID better than others? If so, who sells the best ID?

I use Daryl's ID that you can get from Murphy's and many other places.
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
I see the Invisible Deck vs. Brainwave deck argument that starts whenever either of these decks is discussed has started again... This time I want to play too so here's my 2 cents (that is opinion)YMMV:

Brainwave is a mentalism trick: Spectator's card was predicted beforehand by reversing it in the deck, when revealed it is shown as coming from a different deck as proof that it was actually predicted and not reversed with sleight of hand.

Invisible deck is a magic trick. Spectator takes an invisible deck of cards and reverses one card in it. Deck is handed back to magician who make the deck visible and as proof of the magic spreds the deck showing the spectator's reversed card is indeed reversed in the deck.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
miistermagico
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of miistermagico
I attempted to improve an invisible deck that was faulty by spraying the back of each card with krylon matte finish.
Now I have difficultly parting each pair of cards. Suggestions?
danielrjt
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of danielrjt
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2016, miistermagico wrote:
I attempted to improve an invisible deck that was faulty by spraying the back of each card with krylon matte finish.
Now I have difficultly parting each pair of cards. Suggestions?

Sounds like you've used too much roughing spray. All you need is a quick squirt of the can. I usually use a roughing stick to patch up my invisible decks
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Can I play, too? I use a regular ungimmicked deck of cards that I hand to a spectator to put in HIS pocket. Then I ask him to reach into his pocket and remove the SPIRIT of the deck, which will be invisible to everyone but him. After doing all the usual "stuff" with the invisible cards and he finally selects one and reverses it in the invisible deck, I ask him to return the invisible deck to the invisible box and place it slowly back in his pocket, lowering the SPIRIT deck back into the physical deck. Now he removes the physical deck, opens it, spreads it and discovers by HIMSELF the card that is turned over, which matches the card he chose from the invisible deck. No roughing fluid, smoothing fluid, or any other kind of fluid is needed. It works with sleight of mind. Some magicians call it "equivoque."
Karli
View Profile
New user
Estonia
78 Posts

Profile of Karli
Ive used the normal roughing spray ID for years and lately I bought one roughed with roughing stick. Totally different feel, cards seperate too easily, too risky for my taste. I couldn't imagine not having my roughing spray (a can from paint shop) as I need to upgrade a pack quite often.
blurrylines
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of blurrylines
An ID treated with Science Friction is amazing to use. It fixes all the R/S problems. You can either buy one direct from Card Shark, or get the spray and make them yourselves.
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Mar 23, 2008, jocdoc wrote:
I think that one's presentation of the Brainwave makes all of the difference in the world. I use Bob Elliott's Brainwave patter as a closer effect and it never fails to kill laypersons. By the time I reach the climax, they've been laughing so hard, followed by the sudden relevation and amazement, that no one seems to ever focus on the deck - they're just simply blown away.

On the other hand, had I simply used the deck as an out (similar to using the ID), I'm sure that many people would figure out that the deck was rigged.

I own both decks, but it's the Brainwave that I carry with me at all times.

Where can I find Bob Elliott doing this Brainwave routine?
A. Evans
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
105 Posts

Profile of A. Evans
I found an Invisible Deck made out of Red Bicycle cards on Amazon and it has worked good for me every since I got it
"It's better to have 3 amazing tricks than 10 good ones"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Best Invisible Deck? (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL