The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Looking for the history of the Ambitious Card routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

iashraf
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of iashraf
Hi there,

I'm looking for a detailed history of the Ambitious Card routine for a university project, can you suggest any videos/books, or online resources.

Thanks.
Clark
View Profile
Special user
957 Posts

Profile of Clark
PM'd you.
“The key to creativity is in knowing how to hide your sources.”
Albert Einstein
iashraf
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of iashraf
HI Clark, thank you for your PM. Do you have any information detailing how the ambitious card routine has progressed over the years, and Dai Vernon's performance for Houdini, which fooled him.

I'm looking for a rough timeline of major players (magicians) who contributed heavily to the sleights used today for this routine, etc.

Any more help would be appreciated.
Chris Lina
View Profile
New user
Philippines
80 Posts

Profile of Chris Lina
Hi!
could I also please have a copy of the history?
I'm working on a video for a local competition here in the philippines..
thanks
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The logical starting point would be Daryl's Ambitious Card Omnibus.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
BTW, there is very little evidence that Vernon actually originated the Ambitious Card. Methods exist that do not require a DL.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
The trick actually dates back at least to Alberti, a French magician, who is said to have developed the idea in the early 1800's. The first written record of it appears to be in Prof. Hoffmann's "Drawing Room Conjuring" from 1887.
Here's an excerpt of the description:

THE AMBITIOUS CARD.
To place a card in different parts of the pack, and yet to make it always return to the top.

"SINCE I have taken to the study of prestidigitation, I have noticed a very curious fact, namely,that cards, like human beings, are extremely fond of positions of dignity. To them the highest honour is to lie on the top of the pack, and when one of them has been chosen by a spectator, it consider that it has become very superior to its companions, and will persistently elbow them out of the way in order to get to the topmost place. If you like, I will give you a specimen of these little domestic dissensions among the cards..."
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There you go! That's the basic plot, even down to the name.

I left iashraf a PM with a few important questions, not the least of which was how much technical information he was going to release to non-magicians. He has neither read it nor responded to it.

Until he answers these questions to my satisfaction, I will not be sharing any information with him.

We don't know if this person is a magician. We don't know if he is going to keep our secrets.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If this fellow is really serious about the Ambitious Card, he certainly hasn't showed it.

My conclusion -- non magician, troll, potential exposer.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
You're probably right. I do already regret my post above. Sorry, just wanted to be helpful.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
You have nothing to regret. All of us occasionally make the mistake of being too helpful from time to time. If he is just an exposer, he won't be able to do anything with ANY information.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

MagicMattMan
View Profile
Special user
Tampa, FL
741 Posts

Profile of MagicMattMan
I am publishing a card routine that uses an Ambitious card element as well as a Triumph element. I want to give crdit where credit is do for the origins of these two effects. How would I cite the information about the origins? Is that small blurb about Alberti correct for Ambitious? I had always thought it was Vernon because of the stories I've heard about how he fooled Houdini.

Please PM me if you feel there's critical information involved.

(P.S. Anyone know the originator of Triumph (using the Zarrow Shuffle instead of a C2C Deck?)
"For those who believe, no explanation is necessary; for those who do not, none will suffice." -Joseph Dunninger

"Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."Hebrews 13:2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The Alberti reference is correct.

AFAIK, Triumph first appeared in the Stars of Magic series and it was by Vernon. It may actually be earlier than that, of course, but it is a LOT older than the Zarrow shuffle.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » Looking for the history of the Ambitious Card routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL