The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Hello, Harakhan Appearing Metal Cane (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

simchamagic
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of simchamagic
Hi,

Does anyone know where you could buy a Harakhan Appearing Metal Cane for a reasonable price (I saw places advertising them for above 100$).

Thanks,

Simcha
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
740 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
Unfortunately, about $100 actually IS a reasonable price for these. About 10 years ago, they were going for $90, and that was if you got them from a source that didn't put on much of a markup. -- These things are great though. I own three torch to canes and feel they are very worth it. These days, UGM is a good source.
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
When I was performing in Japan last year I ran into Makha Tendo and he told me that he was manufacturing the Harakhan style canes. He also was painting them in many different colors and they were very well made!

I don't know if Makha has a website, but as Christopher Moro said, I am sure you can get them from UGM Magic (Nagoya, Japan) website!

Levent
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
740 Posts

Makha's canes are great too. They are very similar to the Harakhan canes, but different. I think Makha calls them "harakan" (as he did a few years ago) because they share many similar qualities. Perhaps he gives Mr. Harakhan credit.

But his indeed are different. His does not have an automatic spring release, as in Harakhan's (think more like a Fantasio cane release), but...you can VANISH his appearing cane. That's right, you can vanish them. 10 years ago, he was selling them for $80 or so, if memory serves me correct.
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
I am pretty sure that the Mahka Tendo canes that I saw last year had the same release mechanism as the Harakhan canes that I purchased in the 1980s.

Right now I am on tour, but when I get back home I will check on this and get back to you!

Levent
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
740 Posts

They very well may, Levent. This will be interesting to learn, as the ones I saw were in the late 90's and did not have a spring. Please do tell if you find a moment to check.

Best,
Chris
Koji Takada
View Profile
Regular user
Tokyo, Japan
146 Posts

Profile of Koji Takada
Hi
Mahka Tendo sells many kinds of apprearing cane in Japan.

For example,

http://www.mahkatendo.jp/shop/movie/multi_color_cane.wmv

http://www.mahkatendo.jp/shop/movie/zebracane.wmv

Koji
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Sometimes Stevens has the harakhans, I got two of them there.
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
818 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
I bougth a lot of canes for years(A LOT OF PROBLEMS)
I buy The 3 harakhans canes, they are the best of the best!

Paulo
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
818 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
I recommend UGM.

Paulo
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7350 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Seomagic also carries the Tendo canes. Figure $120+ per cane.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1722 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Does anybody has the web address of UGM please ?

thanks.

Oliver.
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
818 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
Make a search in google, by UGM magic.
If I find I will put here.

Paulo
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
818 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
Thanks for the UGM website.

Paulo
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1722 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Thank you for the link Chris.
Paulo, just for your information, I did a search on google before asking, but couldn't find anything.

Oliver.
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Christopher Moro:

I checked it out, and the Makha Tendo cane's release mechanism looks very similar to and operates the same way as the Harakhan cane. The main difference is that the tip (ferrule) of the Harakhan cane is made of a kind of white plastic and the Makha Tendo cane tip is made of a machined piece of aluminum.

Levent
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7350 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Levent is correct. I never trusted the Harakhan release. I always center it with my fingers. I guess that comes from using a Walsh for so many years. I also had one (Harakhan) that id not work quite right and it ruined the cane.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
740 Posts

Hi Levant:
Thank you for the info on the Makha Tendo canes. The ones I saw from him back in the 90's had a simple metal release like the plastic Fantasio. The ones you have sound much better.

Richard & Levant:
I actually rather liked the Harakhan/Tendo release. The one-move spring action was always reliable to me, except when I used cotton gloves that were rather fuzzy. One end of the spring got caught on the glove and, when the cane was released, it stretched the spring out of shape and from that point on, the spring was useless (you'd have to replace it). Of course from that point on, I used sleeker gloves Smile
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7350 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
It is a nice release but I simply do not trust it after I ruined a cane. Old habits die hard. I had done it with the Walsh cane with a spring for years without any problem.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Hello, Harakhan Appearing Metal Cane (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL