The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Multiple C&R Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tank5030
View Profile
Regular user
Portsmouth, VA
151 Posts

Profile of tank5030
As I mentioned in another post, I am putting together a routine where a rope is cut and restored multiple times using multiple methods. Here is my question to those of you who regularly do something like this, what length rope do you start with and does anyone ever notice that the rope ends up shorter than it started? Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated. Thanks.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1946 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
I use a 10 foot piece.

I do 2 "cut and restored", both the same method, each a completely different effect. Then I go into a "Prof. Nightmare" then with the longer of the 3 "Same sized" ropes, I do a final C&R with another different effect. The Professor's nightmare makes having a shorter rope obvious. Losing 6-10" of rope at a time otherwise is reasonably unnoticeable (Unless you bring attention to it).

Just me. If you see a problem, there's always a solution.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5288 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
In 1956 Walter Gibson published a book for the general public, youth market, called “What’s New in Magic”. It is a little gem of a book!

One of the many treasures in it is his “Six-cut rope trick”. He started with a six-foot length of rope and cut it six times. Each time a using a different methodology and at one point doing a double cut ending with the rope knotted in two places and then restored (no not the Panama rope cut!).

His is a great start point for this type of routine since it is a very well paced and flowing routine with one cut just flowing into the next. In fact, well practiced, this whole routine with all of its six cuts is done in little more time than I’ve seen some magicians use in just doing a single cut and restored.

I perform it from time to time just for the fun of it!

The book is often found in the youth section of the public library. Used magic book sellers often have it. I haven’t checked Amazon yet but I would not be surprised if they didn’t have it listed used too!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Harry
I'm going to keep my eye out for that book. I do five cut C&R, but for the finish it's the triple pop knot.
Thanks
Al
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
758 Posts

Profile of leondo
Harry,
You're an amazing source of magic info!
Ted L
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5288 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Al the book can be had used from Amazon (I just checked 3-11-08) for $6.00! Heck I've paid more for pamphlets! LOL!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B......8&sr=8-2

The Gibson ends with two sliding knots using the old wind the rope around the hand ploy.

Ted thanks! LOL!! It is just I'm as old as mud and never had any other hobby or avocation! Been accumulating this stuff since I was 12 and am past Social Security age now! LOL!!!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
I start with about 5 feet of rope, and do 3 C&Rs. No one has ever commented on the rope being shorter at the end.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5699 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I do a 3 cut routine and a 5 cut routine.

3 = 6 foot
5 = 10 foot

I don't think anyone ever notices a length difference...
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Multiple C&R Routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL