The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Generic Memorized Deck Book Titles?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
I am in the process of learning the Aronson Stack and have extensively read the materials in Simon's "Try the Impossible" book (the Undo Influence section and the Unpacking the Aronson Stack section). This got me wondering as to whether or not there are any books out there that generically deal with memorized deck routines that are not specific for a specific memorized deck.

The reason I am asking is because a friend of mine is currently learning Doug Dyment's wonderful "Quickstack". My friend is now somewhat disappointed that Quickstack apparently does not have any built-in features lsimilar to those embedded in the Aronson stack. (i.e., built in spelling tricks, 4 of a kind tricks poker deal, etc.) and he is hping that there are books out there dealing with generic memorized deck setups.

Any info in this regard would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4959 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Not book titles but effects, I hope it helps:

Aronson:

Histed Heisted
The Invisible Card
Two Beginnings
Past, Present, Future
Everybody's Lazy
Four-Part Harmony
Twice as Hard
Method to/in Our Madness

Ortiz:

Zen Master
The Last Laugh
Remote Control

Tamariz:

All Of A Kind
Mnemonicosis
Control in chaos (Mnemonica)
Tamariz/Four of a Kind
Crown Jewels
Four Stop Intersection

Michael Close:

Invisible Deck
Luckiest Cards in Las Vegas
The Birthday Book

Ackerman:

Invisible Jokers
Finally Matched

Others:

Mental Triumph
Martin Joyal's Poupart Trick
Steve Ehler's 3-Card Location
John Borns ACAAN
Unforgettable by Pit Hartling
Bob Cassidy's Card Memory
Open Index with the Mullica Wallet
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Mats,

Thanks for that list. In reading over your list, are there any items on that list that are specific to a specific memorized deck? I know that my friend will be interested in effects that he'll be able to perform with Doug Dyment's "Quickstack".

I am primarily interested in generic effects that can be performed with any memorized deck--or at least any deck whereby you know both the cards' identities and the cards' stack number. And, hopefully books that are dedicated to such effects so that one book can be used to learn many routines.

Thanks again for the list.

Mike

P.S. I've heard the name Histed Heisted before. Is that able to be performed with any memorized deck? Will you need to know both card identities AND card stack locations? Can Histed Heisted be performed with the BCS or with stacks like 8 King?

BTW, what tipped me over into learning a memorized deck was Simon's "Twice as Hard" effect in his "Try the Impossible" book. The materials in that book on his Undo Influence principle and the later material on Unpacking the Aronson Stack is really primo stuff.

Eschew obfuscation.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2008-03-11 18:59, Turk wrote:
P.S. I've heard the name Histed Heisted before. Is that able to be performed with any memorized deck? Will you need to know both card identities AND card stack locations? Can Histed Heisted be performed with the BCS or with stacks like 8 King?

Histed Heisted can be performed with any memorized deck. You need to know your stack absolutely cold because you'll be reciting it and thinking about the stack numbers under arguably very difficult mental conditions.

Quote:
On 2008-03-11 18:59, Turk wrote:
BTW, what tipped me over into learning a memorized deck was Simon's "Twice as Hard" effect in his "Try the Impossible" book. The materials in that book on his Undo Influence principle and the later material on Unpacking the Aronson Stack is really primo stuff.

In spades.
spycrapper
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
295 Posts

Profile of spycrapper
All the effects in Aronson's DVD vol 3 are stack independent. You can use any memorized stack. And also I heard his books like Bound to Please and Simply Simon contain many stack independent memorized deck routine, as I only have Try The Impossible, and I'm completely agree with you about Twice as Hard. That's a very nice effect!
Magic is life

Ario A.
visit my blog:
http://amagicblog.wordpress.com
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Most of the card effects in the "Covert Use of Memory Techniques" section of my Memroy Effects document are stack-independent.
mushi
View Profile
New user
Japan
52 Posts

Profile of mushi
Not all effect in Vol.3 of Aronson's DVD are stack independent.
Christ-Aronson Aces and Routine Maintenance depend on the Aronson stack.
I constructed a similar effect to C-A Aces for the mnemonica.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4959 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
A smart buy is Juan Tamariz big book: Mnemonica - on the memorized deck.
The last chapter, from page 367 you can find lot of titles about memo stack books: Bibliography.

http://www.hermeticpress.com/Books/Mnemonica.html
Eric Richardson
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Eric Richardson
Denis Behr's Hand Cradted Card Magic has several stack independent effects and some great ideas. Well worth your time.
Eric Richardson
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Eric Richardson
OOPS... Hand Crafted Card Magic.
spycrapper
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
295 Posts

Profile of spycrapper
Quote:
On 2008-03-12 18:34, mushi wrote:
Not all effect in Vol.3 of Aronson's DVD are stack independent.
Christ-Aronson Aces and Routine Maintenance depend on the Aronson stack.
I constructed a similar effect to C-A Aces for the mnemonica.

hmm quiet true for the two effects you mentioned. But actually he explains the two effects as an example of the principle he's describing. Also for Routine Maintenance, it is basically a built in gambling routine that any good memorized stack should have. Aronson explain how to Maintain the stack after the performance of the gambling routine.
Magic is life

Ario A.
visit my blog:
http://amagicblog.wordpress.com
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Thanks for all the information, guys. It is much appreciated.

Eschew obfuscation.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
I just acquired a used copy of "The Aronson Approach" and I love "Four Part Harmony". Wow!! What brilliant thinking and memorized deck application.

I instantly compared it to Simon's "4 Stop Intersection" and I think I prefer "Four Part Harmony". That said, both are very good effects and tomorrow I might change my mind the other way.

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Generic Memorized Deck Book Titles?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL