The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Do you use a GPS to get to your shows? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Jim

What's more important is when the show is over. At that time all sense of direction (for me) is lost. The GPS gets me out onto the main road or to the next show and I'm on my way. At night you don't need to shine a bright light at the street signs and scare the neighbors.

I can't tell you how many times I have been pulled over standing outside the car with the map book directly in front of the high beam trying to figure out where I am.

AND as most of you know.... many clients don't know how to give directions or where they are located any better then you.

I bought the least expensive Tom Tom and wished I had spent another hundred for a few extra features... but all in all, it's good.
Kipp Sherry
View Profile
Elite user
Boise, ID
473 Posts

Profile of Kipp Sherry
I use on-line maps. I also use a Magellan Masestro GPS.

The only time the GPS doesn't work is when I'm looking for a place that has been built during the last year (business park or residential), a rare experience but I did have it happen once. One nice thing about the Magellan is that I can go on line once a year and update the maps. The other nice thing is that it works all over the world, not just in North America.

Until we appear again,
Kipp Sherry
What is Kings Fool?
The only business card you'll ever need!
http://www.kippsherrymagic.info
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Kipp is right in regards to new places. I usually find this out ahead of time and I can usually put in a place or address that is very close to where I need to be. That has been my work around and works very well.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
bhappie
View Profile
Regular user
B. Happie Entertainment, LLC
123 Posts

Profile of bhappie
Quote:
On 2008-03-13 02:43, Brian Lehr wrote:
In spite of the flaws in the mapping of the TomTom 910, I prefer it over the Garmin (for reasons stated in the other thread). Once in a while, I still have to check mapquest on my PDA to find the exact location after I arrive in the general area (for newer sections of a city).

I used to play mp3's on it, but now I have my iPod with me all the time.

I love the remote control with the TomTom, and recently I discovered a way to change the arrow into any vehicle I wanted on the screen. So now I have my new van on the screen, and if you had a magnifying glass, you could even see where the rear license plate said "LEHR". Smile

Brian

I didn't know I could play mp3s in it? I would be afraid of it doing too much and getting confused. I need the GPS because Im diving, on the phone, changing my shirt, and eating. If I let the GPS do more than directions THAT COULD BE DANGEROUS!

Re: a couple other posts - I did have mine take me down a road at night and I nearly ran into a fence across the street! It was a side street into a gated community and I had to find the front gate on my own. If I had been on the phone, changing my shirt, and eating I would have crashed the fence and old Rosco P Coletrain would have had my tail for sure gu gu gu gu gu.
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
I have a Garmin C550 - it has Bluetooth for handsfree phone calls which is very nice.

Also it has restaurants, gas stations, and everything else you'd ever need.

It also tells me if there is bad traffic ahead and will plan out an alternate route. Which is nice to know, but not always that helpful, because when there is a jam, the alternative routes get busy too!

It also plays mp3s, but I've never bothered with that. I just have my iPhone hooked up to the car stereo.

I truly couldn't drive without my GPS. I don't know how I ever managed without it.

Now all I need is a car that drives itself so I can have a nap.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12245 Posts

Profile of John C
Garmin 200w
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2304 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Just to let you know, you don't have to have an expensive GPS. My wife bought me a Magellan Roadmate on sale for $150. It works just fine. The few mistakes it does make, like due to new construction, it automatically adjusts and gives me a new route. But be careful of the "shortest distance" option. It took my wife down a 5.4 mile dirt road Friday night in an area with no cell phone reception! No John Cleese voice either. Smile
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
bhappie
View Profile
Regular user
B. Happie Entertainment, LLC
123 Posts

Profile of bhappie
Ken, Its not that yours is cheap, they all do that!
Zoran
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Zoran
I use a handheld garmin...but I use it to keep me entertained inbetween showtime hours because I am a serious geocacher.

http://www.geocaching.com

Zoran
“When you can be your own best audience and when your applause is the best applause you know of, you’re in good shape.”LRH
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Peeps,

TomTom maps are prettier and the newer models have the most up to date mapping software for the USA.

Presently only two companies offer maps for sale, NavTeq and Tele Atlas. Nokia is in the process of buying NavTeq.

Also TomTom just bought Tele Atlas the mapping software that Garmin will use. But they have some problems during the aquisition.

http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/17/technolo......y_latest

I personally use TomTom (Dutch company), they are the #1 GPS units in many parts of the world, but Garmin (Kansas company) presently rules the U.S.

G0THIKE
tpax
View Profile
Elite user
Columbia, Maryland
443 Posts

Profile of tpax
I have a Magellan Roadmate 750, used it for almost 3 years, works great. Easy to use, been really accurate so far - with the exception of new construction. I have traveled all over the country with it and it has held up well. It is a basic unit that does all I need.
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Opps, I forgot.

I use a Garmin 305, some GPS watch that shows calories burnt, distance and heart rate. That is about what good I find Garmin for.

G0THIKE
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2008-03-12 16:54, Christopher Starr wrote:
Do you use a GPS to assist you in getting to your shows?

No, I use a car.

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2701 Posts

Profile of kinesis
Have used a TomTom One (Version 1 with updated software) for a good while now. Anytime I have a gig in a venue I've never been to before I take my Sat. Nav. So stress free. I've managed to drive round trafic problems and road works and get to my gig on time thanks to my TomTom. Very reliable, wouldn't leave home without it.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
chris_johnson_au
View Profile
Regular user
Queensland, Australia
113 Posts

Profile of chris_johnson_au
I've found the GPS is very handy in a number of circumstances.

It can help give me an estimate of how long it takes to travel. Of course I take the time and add a little extra on again to allow for traffic, map changes (due to construction work, etc) and any other mishaps.

It was also the easiest expenditure I could make without having to feel a need to THINK about justifying it.

If you're working in an unfamiliar area, having moved into a new city, etc... it's an indispensable tool and, best of all, takes away so much stress on the drive.

However I *would* leave home without it... for example if I'm just walking a few blocks to get the newspaper.
Chris Johnson
0433 181 675
www.thementalist.com.au
RichardShure
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of RichardShure
Without a doubt a GPS nav system is the way to go. Has saved me not only going to gigs but just traveling in general. Plus lots of extras like knowing where the next gas station, hotel, or place to eat is.

I travel a great deal with my day job and I would not be without one.

Richard S
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
We travel 1500 to 3000 kilometers (about 900 to 1800 miles) a week and only recently did I invest in a Garmin 250. What a little miracle machine! It not only gets us to the shows, but finds us fuel, food and coffee along the route.

Rob
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20521 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Rob,

I even find that the GPS chatting at me gives me some company in a lonesome job. Mine is a Blackbird (Alpine) so it also plays my MP3s when the lady in the box isn't giving me orders.

Bob
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
756 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
Not only do I use one of my 3 GPS to get to gig's
I have found that late night gigs are great coming home cause I no longer miss turns...

AND I GEO-Cache and have a handheld Garmin that I use for that...
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
That is the other aspect of the GPS that most do not talk about. That is the ability to find fuel, food and lodging and such when you are going too and from a gig. We have used this countless times and it has been a real life savor for us for sure.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Do you use a GPS to get to your shows? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL