The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Hardly Any Phone Calls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1434 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
I've noticed that my business phone has practially stopped ringing during the past 6-8 weeks. Has anyone else noticed this but me?

With the cost of gasoline rising to new heights and the cost of food skyrocketing, I'm wondering if everday folks are being stretched to the max with their disposable dollars.

Gerry
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3724 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Phone has been slightly slower than average for this time of year.

Steve
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
Yep, it is slow right now! It is that way with everyone I've talked to. Times are tough!
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1239 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
Agree, just watch the Sale's Threads, never saw too much items 4 sale.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7437 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I intend to double my shows this year. So, I'm doing more mailings, phone calls, etc., and not just relying on shows that come to me passively. I also found a group to support me on my way.

I believe the potential is there for growth in my marketplace.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Cold calls by my wife...lead to leads...and of course a lot of not interested at this time....but emails and the correct person to contact.

I hate cold calls, but my wife doesn't mind them. Magic is a business....which led me away from full time entertaining back to full time counseling and magic as a full time pro/part time entertainer.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
It was slow for a while, but is now picking up quickly.
Bradley Roberts
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas
413 Posts

Profile of Bradley Roberts
Every year I find it slow after xmas. For the past 5 years that has been the trend for me during Jan and Feb. I still do about 2 shows a week min during that time. Then about March it picks back up for me a lot. I have been really busy this month. I have birthday and school shows booked out as far as May right now.
I see it slow down again around Sept. I am not sure why but it has been like that every year for me.

Cheers,
B-Rad
B-Rad "The Kids Magician"
Brad Kids Magic Website
"A child's smile is one of life's greatest blessings."
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
"I see it slow down again around Sept. I am not sure why but it has been like that every year for me."

Back to school maybe. Parants have spent a small chunk on new clothes and supplies..
todd75
View Profile
Inner circle
1277 Posts

Profile of todd75
I think that as professional children's entertainers we need to prepare for the "slow times." These things come and go and after doing this for sooo many years, I come to expect it from time to time.

The great thing about when the phone goes silent is that this gives us all more time to do other things besides just magic. Spend time with your kids, take your wife out on a date, etc. After you've done all that, think of creative ways to get more bookings and make the phone ring again. This is just what I've done and it works.

The golden rule that I learned years ago and is to never worry today or tomorrow. Instead...focus on 3 months ahead. If this month is good, don't complain. Look at 3 months from now and focus on that. The last thing in the world you want is to look at your schedule and think, "oh no, I don;t have any shows this month!"

Best of luck to you all!
DJBrenton
View Profile
Regular user
Midlands, England
129 Posts

Profile of DJBrenton
I always used to plan my annual holiday for January as it was the time I'd be losing the least work
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1024 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Very few calls or e-mails the last couple of weeks as well. But, spring break starts next week, and the following Sunday is Easter. I've no doubt parents have plenty of other things on their minds right now.

See ya!
Joe L.
Ugly $5 Report is GOLD!

Grab your copy now:
https://makequickcashonlinenow.co.business
MagicalArtist
View Profile
Veteran user
Hobart, Indiana
373 Posts

Profile of MagicalArtist
It depends on what kind of shows you're talking about. Birthday shows should be pretty much evenly spaced throughout the year. For other type of shows, maybe this is the lull just before the summer booking season begins.
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
No, my experience is that birthday parties have quiet times too. I've found August is much slower for birthdays.
chris mcbrien
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1235 Posts

Profile of chris mcbrien
Don't let negativity be a mindset. Think positively and positive answers will come your way. Hate to sound like a fortune cookie, but it's true.
Also, think about other avenues for your programs. There's always a need somewhere to be filled. Re-read Dale Carnegie, and the "Where's My Cheese?" book. It's not fun to hear this advice when it's not a "phone ringing off the hook day", but isn't that the case with all medicine that tastes awful going down..yet helps us get up again?
I hope this helped somebody....
Best to All!!!
Chris
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
My phone hasn't rang for 2 years...of course that's because I only use email/internet to connect with most clients (with the odd phone call made by me).

Day 14
Bridgewater
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
184 Posts

Profile of Bridgewater
If your phone isn't ringing, get out your calendars or schedule books from the last three years and start calling the clients you've worked for in the past at this time. Tell them you have a show with new material. Parents often assume that once the kids have seen you, they've seen everything you do. If that's not the case, you've got to let them know. Don't assume that because you gave them a card last year or two years ago that they still have it or remember how to contact you. People keep having kids, and although Johnny may have outgrown your show, his little brother or sister might have reached that magical 4-11 age group.
"Don't run with those..."
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Quote:
On 2008-03-13 04:23, Gerry Walkowski wrote:
I've noticed that my business phone has practially stopped ringing during the past 6-8 weeks. Has anyone else noticed this but me?

Did you pay your bill?

Sorry, my bad sense of humor has gotten the best of me.

Actually, all but one of my bookings have been from the internet. The one that did, canceled at the last minute.

If you don't have a website, set one up. Then, join some magician directories. That is where most of my business is coming in from.
-Matt
Bradley Roberts
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas
413 Posts

Profile of Bradley Roberts
I will double that what Matthew said. A lot of my business is from my website. If you do not have one you are missing out big time. Work on your site before you do anything else to promote yourself.

B-Rad
B-Rad "The Kids Magician"
Brad Kids Magic Website
"A child's smile is one of life's greatest blessings."
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Quote:
On 2008-03-14 16:35, Bridgewater wrote:
If your phone isn't ringing, get out your calendars or schedule books from the last three years and start calling the clients you've worked for in the past at this time.

That advice is absolute GOLD! I do this every time I start heading for a slow period ...and it works!!

Lyndel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Hardly Any Phone Calls (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL