The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Table Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Warlock1
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Warlock1
Hi Guys

Hope all are in the sun having a great sea$on ........

When you guys buy a pair of folding tray legs ... do you do anything to then as part of your busking unit ?

I have heard of some performers cutting off the 2 straps & using a single leather belt so the table height can be adjusted .

I have also see some performers Drill 3/4 inch holes down the length of the legs as a way to cut down the weight.

What do you do to cut down the Weight of your Busking Unit

WL1
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I've drilled small holes in the rails so I could feed a leather lace to secure my table servante. I don't need to do that currently but it works great. That is one reason that I like wood. You can drill holes where you need them.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
ShawnB
View Profile
Special user
728 Posts

Profile of ShawnB
I have never had to do much of anything with mine.. They are actually not that heavy... The only thing I had to do was take off the straps and put on some new ones to adjust the height of the legs. Other then that it was good to go strait out of the box.

Shawn.
Shawn.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
I just finished building a couple from scratch.

Reason being, I wanted something strong enough to stand on (without my pretty table top on it of course).

They really aren't noticeably heavier than commercial ones...they're just built better.

I've also designed a wicked-cool servante to go with them....I could make millions of dollars off of these alone!!!

(well, more like dozens of $...well, probably not even that Smile )
Joe Howard
View Profile
Loyal user
The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts
204 Posts

Profile of Joe Howard
Hey Chad,

May we see a photo of the servante ?

I was lucky enough to find a couple of used tray stands for 10.00 each. They were filthy, and the straps were gross. I cleaned them up with a little Murphy's Soap, replaced the straps with belts and now they are beautiful. They are very strong and should last me forever. I made a new top and I'm back in business.

Joe H
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Joe, you are a clever "do-be."
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Quote:
On 2008-03-13 15:56, Joe Howard wrote:
Hey Chad,

May we see a photo of the servante ?

Joe H

I haven't sewed them up yet. I'll put some pics up when they're done!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
I only travel locally in SF to busk, so I'm not too worried about cutting weight down. In fact, my tabletop is 1/2" ply... It's much thicker than it needs to be, but, man, is it solid! I followed both Cellini's and Gazzo's advice from their dvd's, so the whole unit is very well balanced despite a little extra weight.

As far as modifying the tray stand, I just add a few extra wood screws to the joins,a few brass fittings for a strap, and two small shelf hangers to the bottom so I can attach the tabletop to it for traveling as one unit.

PS- I cannot imagine drilling holes down the length of your table legs would do anything other than weaken them. Don't do that...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Anyone who would even ask about drilling holes in the legs to lighten them is the kind of guy who would talk to himself after his show.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Table Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL