The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » When in Rome (Actually London)! Travel advice sought (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3061 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
I'm off to the U.K. next week (from Canada). Couple of weeks in total, based out of London. One of the certain highlights will be 2 nights of Derren Brown performances, including one show for which I've managed to secure front row centre seats!

Question for the many Brits on the Café.....any suggested (other) shows or (magic/mentalism) shops of note in London (or South, as I'll be driving through Poole, Bath, etc. for a few nights)?

Thanks,
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
Try International Magic in Clerkenwell Road, Holborn.

Also Derren brown is touring- not sure where he is next week and if tickets are available. His London run starts in May.
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
Sorry just re-read your post on the Derren Brown front- I just woke up!
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1479 Posts

Profile of Piers
If you're near Poole, drive to Swanage - typical seaside town. Go to a pub, fish and chip shop etc. They are all magic!

I tend to shop mail order.
( Alakazam in Kent (?) )

Have a great trip. Where will you be based?

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2016!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
DJP
View Profile
Veteran user
London
391 Posts

Profile of DJP
David
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
I prefer International to Davenports... but that's just me.
Zoran
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Zoran
My little buddy Don Theo is rocking out a little bar in Swindon.
“When you can be your own best audience and when your applause is the best applause you know of, you’re in good shape.”LRH
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
727 Posts

Profile of Caliban
While you are in Bath, don't miss Noel Britten's now famous comedy walk. Noel is often the compere at the Internatonal Day

http://www.bizarrebath.co.uk/
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3061 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Thanks for the suggestions, particularly the Pub = magic notion!

FYI, Piers, I'll be in and out of London (staying in the Hyde Park area), a few nights in Poole, a couple in Bath, even off to Paris for a few.

Been over a few times, but this is the first time we have some 'open' time that's not scheduled, so I'm hoping to get to play 'tourist' a bit...after all, I certainly have the accent!

Cheers,
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18823 Posts

Profile of IAIN
There's a tiny club/bar called The Cellar Door in Aldwych/Strand - I think (you'll have to check) that they have a bizarrist on a sunday evening...seven quid a ticket I seem to remember...

my best advice to you though, is, look up! especially around central london/strand area - lots of beautiful statues and scenery to look at...somerset house has a little art gallery that's quite interesting, parliament square is quite interesting but touristy...

if you're really stuck for something to do one night - I'm up for meeting up (if a few of us fancy a little get together, even better)for a few drinks and a good chat...there's some nice bars around soho and round there...

if you wanted a drink in a very old pub, try the Ten Bells, in Shoreditch, just a 5 minute walk from liverpool street station - its where the ladies used to drink in Jack the Ripper times...they still serve absinthe there, and its quite a studenty chilled out place to drink...
I've asked to be banned
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Stan, If your heading over to Paris, I believe you can see Bebel perform live for free. I think he has a table that he sets up at some, I think, train station in Paris.

Maybe some here can be more specific.

Here you go I just did a search for Bebel.

Quote:
I know Bebel very well. I worked a lot with him. He's a very nice guy and an incredible magician with card. And yes, he's living in France. You can meet him at Paris's Pigalle area. Sometime at the Cokney Tavern.

I hope you enjoy your trip.
Magic is a vanishing art.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3061 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Abraxus and I have exchanged PMs discussing a potential get together on March 27...any interest amongst other London "Penny" Café members?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18823 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Yeah - come on, don't be shy...
I've asked to be banned
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
Am often there... but not that week....
Solitaire
View Profile
New user
Germany
83 Posts

Profile of Solitaire
Take a stroll throught the Whitechapel area, of course you won't meet Jack the Ripper there anymore, but it is still quite interesting and don't miss Highgate cemetery (look here: http://www.highgate-cemetery.org/index.asp), also pretty interesting and inspiring.

And don't miss the old town of Bath and the Cotswolds are: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Cotswo......0pix.jpg
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » When in Rome (Actually London)! Travel advice sought (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL