The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Spruce up Bank Night ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
I would like to use a "Bank Night" type routine at a wedding reception. Does anyone have ideas on ways to make this fun or humorous? Some funny way to reveal the selections or draw out the process perhaps?
And what about the ending? How can the sting be taken out?
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
I remember years back using the Technicolor Just Chance idea of Borodins that RAR Magic put out. It was the Becker purse idea but with coloured purses. You get four, I just used three. I mention this because the angle I once used at a wedding anniversary show, was to get the wife up, then point out after 25 years of marriage her husband had asked me if I could give her a psychological evaluation during the show. Nothing to worry about, uses four purses and colour psychology. There are some comic predictions in the selected purses but the one she leaves you with has the money. I turned to the husband and remarked, "She's still willing not to take the money so I think she's good for another 25 years!" or words to that effect.

Possibly you could do something similar with the bride and groom.

Paul Hallas
http://www.PH-Marketing-magic.co.uk
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Thanks Paul for the input. I am leaning toward some way to get the money or the envelope with the money into the brides hands? As a sort of wedding gift.
It just seems like the entire thing is too direct or short? Mostly though I am concerned about leaving a "sting" feeling with the guests?!
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Perhaps some sort of presentation with boxes or coloured bags rather than envelopes then you can have some minor consolation prizes which are funny in the non winning bags.

If you are wanting to GIVE the bride the money/prize as a wedding gift, then perhaps it would be better done as a magical production. Or a seven keys routine when on the lucky wedding day the bride can always find the correct key to open a box with a prize in it. Just bare bones ideas.

Paul Hallas
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
You could have a number of people, including the groom, select the items.
Then, naturally, the groom gives his selected item to the bride.
It is, of course, the "right" item, proving that there truly is a bond between the bride and groom!
That way, she gets the "prize", there is no "sting", and you get the credit for a "warm and fuzzy" presentation.
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,
Larry Becker put a routine in his book Mentalism for magicians where a borrowed note is placed inside one of the envelopes they are mixed. burnt/shredded the final envelope containing the note this has no sting as the spectator is relieved to get the cash back.

Steve Bedwell does a routine where a watch is borrowed placed in one of several bags
these are mixed and one by one beaten with a mallet the surviving bag has the watch.
both of these have inherent comedy and room for byplay
phillip
Nicodemus
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of Nicodemus
Well not exactly to GIVE the money to the bride, but more like to have her win it.
(I feel most comfortable with the use of a TT and wrapping the contents of the envelopes in tissue a la' Al Koran)
The hard part for me is the comedy by-play? How to draw the selection and swapping part out a bit and add humor??
" Res Non Verba "

" Deeds Not Words "
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
The Becker routine mentioned Monte Inferno, (I think it was called) was a good one. I used to use that. As with anything being burnt these days, watch out for sprinklers!
:)

Paul Hallas.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Spruce up Bank Night ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL