The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » your opinion on math demonstrations in mentalism (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
geeta172
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of geeta172
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2003, Alan Jackson wrote:
Derren Brown closes his live show with a magic square. It's kind of (apparently) accidental and a very effective way of revealing a thought of number. It's cleverly disguised with a spiel about the numbers picked by people reading certain newspapers.

Could you help me with the name of the show where in Derren Brown performed the magic square as his encore? I'm really interested to check it out. Thanks!
Stefmagic
View Profile
Special user
523 Posts

Profile of Stefmagic
Math in mentalism... If Cassidy, Berglas, Osterlind, Maven, Becker, Earle, Brown, Hickok, Kurtz, Dyment, Cushman, Jermay, etc. ALL do it, then you don't have to ask the question in the first place!!!
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I actually really enjoy cube roots. It's not for every audience and I do use it as a demonstration of skill. It's how I keep my mind sharp. It's more impressive to college age kids and adults. I understand the hesitation most have. I had the same hesitation before learning the effect, but it paid off.
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
Math effects are good as long as the procedure isn't boring or too obvious.

For my stage show I've been using Some t*tal update as a closer and it works really well.
As for my strolling material I always do number rev*rsal, I love that effect.

You should check out "Lorayne's b*ck", an awesome math effect with the method well concealed.
I shall see you on the other side.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3382 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Can anyone do a rapid calculation of the number of days between the last post in this thread from 2003 and its re-emergence in 2014? Surely it must be a record!
E.E.
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of E.E.
LOL! I didn't realize that.
I shall see you on the other side.
Galileo
View Profile
Elite user
Somerville MA
431 Posts

Profile of Galileo
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
Can anyone do a rapid calculation of the number of days between the last post in this thread from 2003 and its re-emergence in 2014? Surely it must be a record!

^^^
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Further- The person who resurrected this thread asked a question to someone who hasn't even posted on the Café since 2010. So I don't think we can expect an answer.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1354 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Sep 26, 2014, geeta172 wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 13, 2003, Alan Jackson wrote:
Derren Brown closes his live show with a magic square. It's kind of (apparently) accidental and a very effective way of revealing a thought of number. It's cleverly disguised with a spiel about the numbers picked by people reading certain newspapers.

Could you help me with the name of the show where in Derren Brown performed the magic square as his encore? I'm really interested to check it out. Thanks!

It was the encore for his live show, "Derren Brown Live," from 2002-4. Here's the effect listing:

http://www.derrenbrown.org.uk/live_2002.php

Quote:
On Sep 26, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Further- The person who resurrected this thread asked a question to someone who hasn't even posted on the Café since 2010. So I don't think we can expect an answer.

But an answer may issue from other quarters. Though skilled at sending and receiving thoughts, predicting the future is not among your powers!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Picky, picky! Smile

But I've even seen people resurrecting old threads and asking questions of members who aren't alive any more.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1354 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
We all read regular books that were published years, decades, even centuries ago and mentally engage with authors who are long since dead.

If the ideas recorded are still engaging and provocative, discussion will ensue.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
But Tim, we did not write to the deceased authors and wait for an answer...
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3382 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
These threads only serve to remind me how many of the old guard are no longer with us. Smile
geeta172
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of geeta172
Sorry Bob. I wasn't aware. Very new to Mentalism. Haven't performed an effect ever. Just trying to learn now.
Can anyone help me with my question though? Am I stepping on some forum rules by asking the question?
Ummm..I doubt the performance is available to watch....is it? I don't find any DVD's of it.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
I think it's important to ask questions in the process of magic and mentalism, regardless of who performs what and how. Stefmagic, I suggest you think critically and question throughout your participation in the art---of course, you may come to a conclusion that suggests no change, but how you get there is just as important as the destination itself.

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
On Sep 26, 2014, Stefmagic wrote:
Math in mentalism... If Cassidy, Berglas, Osterlind, Maven, Becker, Earle, Brown, Hickok, Kurtz, Dyment, Cushman, Jermay, etc. ALL do it, then you don't have to ask the question in the first place!!!
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I use math occasionally as a method- but rarely as a demonstration. It doesn't fit my persona- I sell myself as a mind reader, not as a math whiz.
insight
View Profile
Inner circle
3095 Posts

Profile of insight
Great point, Bob! Selling yourself as a mentalist versus a math whiz are 2 completely different things. And where the math is done (as a method versus the demonstration itself) is also key. Please note that Stefmagic.

Regards,
Mike

Quote:
On Oct 5, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
I use math occasionally as a method- but rarely as a demonstration. It doesn't fit my persona- I sell myself as a mind reader, not as a math whiz.
paul180
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of paul180
So displaying a skill such as lighting addition just makes sense. If our brains have been developed enough to have a sixth sense, then why wouldn't our other senses be magnified?

Work well as a lead in to a mental calculation, like the Pepsi prediction, performed by Mark A. Gibson.
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a foolish man can learn from a wise answer.

Attributing negativity to a topic or post doesn't make the topic or post negative,
it shines a light on the negativity of the person or persons, making the attributions.

BEWARE these Debbie downers and anything they say. They simply lack the self esteem or good will, to be positive or productive. Your belief in self, is more
important and is all that matters, for your success to be glorious.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1737 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Well, math and memory demonstrations are the third in Corinda's 13 Steps. And if, with Chuck Hickok, you believe that the audience ought to experience in one's first effect an implied mental power that is plausible in their eyes, it may be worth reconsidering. Richard Osterlind teaches a splendid approach to performing an instant magic square, for any number from 33 to 99, in his new book, CRIB. I plan to open with it tomorrow evening.

George
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3501 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
You know, some of these very old threads are very cool to read.
Besides some genuinely good ideas from members long gone, it also gives an insight into some of the groupthink that has formed in the mentalism community.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » your opinion on math demonstrations in mentalism (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL