The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Brilliant Orson Welles (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10599 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
To follow up on Nathan's voice comment - I agree 1001% - I have all his old SHADOW radio stints - the Mercury theatre etc... what a voice!
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
855 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
That was wonderful. Can hardly wait until his next performance at the Magic Castle. Whenever that will be....

Hennessey
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn

GerryHennessey.com
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
Since I have not seen the answer to the Greatest Movie ever made question (as per the experts) I will name it for those that don't know. It is called CITIZEN KANE.
Supposedly the life story of Wm. Randolph Hearst which of course Welles denied for fear of a lawsuit. It made Welles a legend in Hollywood. They don't make movies like that any more.
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2822 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Rosebud

Nathan
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6392 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2008-03-17 20:02, nathanpain wrote:
Rosebud

Nathan

Does anyone know where Welles got the name Rosebud? It's naughty.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1918 Posts

Profile of DT3
Quote:
On 2008-03-17 20:25, Greg Arce wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-03-17 20:02, nathanpain wrote:
Rosebud

Nathan

Does anyone know where Welles got the name Rosebud? It's naughty.
Greg

Yes. And you are right. Naughty.

And it again it comes back to Seinfeld. Did anyone see the episode where he dated a girl whose name he forgot? (That one's for the hardcores.)

D
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Wasn't her name mulva?

;)
xxx
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1018 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Wells was fantastic. On F for fake there is a special feature that shows his last wife talking about all the unfinished films he had planned and had partially shot. One was a magic show, I wonder if this is some of that footage, or if this footage was something which did air. Please let me know if you know.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Satanic Playing Cards Live on Kickstarter Now...
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/satanicplayingcards/the-satanic-playing-cards
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4395 Posts

Profile of Paul
Quote:
On 2008-03-16 07:23, abraxus wrote:
I think more than anything, it was his voice that set him apart when performing - that mixture of commanding and warmth did wonders...

I think you hit the nail on the head there, a great voice can make a big difference, for me a few more that immediately stand out are Eugene Burger, and old actors like James Mason and James Earl Jones. Having said that, he was still a genius in his own right.

I had the pleasure of seeing Martini do a lecture on "Orson Wells-Magician" at a nostalgia convention last year.

Paul.
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1918 Posts

Profile of DT3
Quote:
On 2008-03-17 21:12, Jay Are wrote:
Wasn't her name mulva?

;)

Dolores.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Ah yes! Dolores!

:)
xxx
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1918 Posts

Profile of DT3
Jeff, thanks for playing along! Mentalism and Seinfeld just go hand in hand. There is an episode ("The Mango") where George is dealing with a certain male-specific deficiency where he claims that sometimes he thinks it would be easier to bend a spoon with his mind...

BOT, Orson was such a great performer and champion for our art.

There is a remarkable book This is Orson Welles where Mr Welles is interviewed by the brilliant film director Peter Bogdanovich and Orson shares some great thoughts on his metamorphasis from magic to mentalism.

http://www.amazon.com/This-Orson-Welles/dp/030680834X

DT3
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1477 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
I remember Orson Wells doing a couple of appearances on the Merv Griffin Show and his showmanship of the craft was overwheming. On one program, his prediction was located in the center of a large chunk of ice, I also remember him doing something with phone books ( another prediction effect ).

He was a class act all the way.
Self concept is destiny..
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1416 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Orson Wells, Orson Bean & Mr. Bean -- now THAT would be a terrific mentalism act.

:)
scarnecky
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah
330 Posts

Profile of scarnecky
Thank you for sharing this clip, it is presentations like these that really feel magical. knowing or not knowing the how doesn't really seem to matter much.

I recall when I was a younger lad, watching an old rerun of "I Love Lucy", Orson performed the broom suspension when he was a younger lad.

I remember that being one of those many sparks that led me to this delightful craft of ours.

Cheers

Scar
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2008-03-16 09:55, Steve_Mollett wrote:
In developing my own persona, I learned a lot from Welles.
He had the 'power of conviction' that could have you believing the most preposterous things for the duration of the performance; he had suspension of disbelief down to a fine art.
A true actor through and through.

Wells was blessed with an incredible presence. He could get away with things that most of could not. His very form was commanding! The dramatic was so natural for him.

Now take another performer, Mac king for example..another master..but in order for him to make that effect successful, he would have to take a whole different approach.

I suppose the secret is to know and understand what your gift is, and don't try to be someone you are not.

There is and ever will be only one Orson Wells,

few performers have the commanding aura that he possessed.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1255 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
Quote:
On 2008-03-15 20:06, CAROLINI wrote:
This proves that presentation is paramount in performing. This effect would be advertised as self-working and 100% accurate. To say that it is simple is an exaggeration, but beautifully done. Does everyone know that he directed, produced, and starred in the movie that is considered the greatest film of all time.

While Citizen Kane was a great film, I would not call it the greatest of all time. Of course, I am a Kurosawa fan myself and feel his work in Seven Samurai and Ran was better than Kane. Just my opinion mind you.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2503 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
There's another Orson Welles clip on Youtube with him doing Russian roulette. I don't know how to post the link though...
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1918 Posts

Profile of DT3
Orson Welles made it happen in a big way...read the biography...

big stuff.

DT3
carmean
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of carmean
His presence, tone and delivery is unmatched! Studying these magic clips is a real education. "F is for Fake" is one of those lost films that very few have seen but well worth the search.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The Brilliant Orson Welles (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL