The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » The Haunted Mansion Playing Cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DerZauberer
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
468 Posts

Profile of DerZauberer
So I read in Genii Magazine a few issues back that Disney had made some Haunted Mansion Playing Cards. Richard Kaufman, of Genii was kind enough to provide a telephone number to purchase these directly from Disney. Since I lived 10 miles from Disneyland, I figured next time I visit, I’ll pick up a few decks. I had seen them on eBay for as much as $10.00 or $15.00 dollars, but I happened to know they retailed for $5.00.

My friend’s band was playing a St. Patrick’s Day concert at the Anaheim House of Blues and I was “All Access” in exchange for photographing their performance. I arrived 20 minutes ahead of time and went straight to the World of Disney store and asked a clerk for the Playing Cards. She knew they existed, but had not seen them. She asked a supervisor and discovered that they only had a few decks and they were in the warehouse. She brought out 3 decks which I promptly purchased.

I would not have brought these cards up in a Magic Forum, but since Genii mentioned it and I know many Magic enthusiasts collect cards, I wanted to review them.

First of all, these are clearly Disney Collectors cards and not meant to be used for play or performance. I’ll explain. Marked on the outer box it’s labeled, “Glow in the dark”. The backs of these cards are coated with a phosphorescent texture so “The Haunted Mansion” and eerie eyes glow when exposed to florescent light. The first thing I noticed as I was fanning the cards is “they don’t”. The abrasive texture on the backs causes the cards to stick together. As I attempted an Overhand Shuffle I immediately noticed the texture was scratching the finish on the faces of the cards.

The Glow in the Dark texture on card backs yields a “light” rough-smooth surface. I attempted to try an “Invisible Deck” stack, but the rough texture does not hold well enough.

The design quality is great if you like the Haunted Mansion or the gothic-spooky look. The backs say “The Haunted Mansion” and the background represents the Haunted Mansion wallpaper with the ghoulish faces with glowing eyes. Printed on one end is “Walt Disney World” and “Disneyland” on opposite end. This makes for subtle gimmick to use as a “one-Way” deck.

The court-cards, including the aces, are represented by the “Stretching” portraits in the Gallery. The pips look as if they were written with a calligraphy pen. Although I like how they are uniquely arranged and how they look, they are hard to tell apart since they design is so similar. The joker is Madam Leota’s face floating in here crystal ball. The faces and backs have a distressed look to them, with the court-cards looking as if they art is old and cracking. The face backgrounds have a beautiful Victorian ivy pattern on parchment. They are also Bridge size, not Poker size.

So in closing, these are strictly novelty or collectors cards. The cards are highly unsuitable for performance use. You cannot fan or flourish with them because of the rough texture on the backs and with continual use, the faces will scratch over time. From a Disney - Haunted Mansion - Gothic Genre enthusiast point of view, these cards are fantastic. As a magician, these cards are unusable. They retail for $5.00 and are exclusively available at the theme park stores.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Thanks for the info ... I'll be geting some. I don't need to fan or flourish, but I hope I can do something like a SS.
Hope they have them here in Orlando?
They appear to be One Way.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
r1238ex
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of r1238ex
WOW!!! this's cool, thanks!!!
Bedford
View Profile
Special user
Louisville, KY
675 Posts

Profile of Bedford
I was at Disney World in Orlando last week and they still have these decks. The price is $4.95 and they had a good stock of them when I was there. For anyone interested you can find them at the gypsy cart gift stand next to the Haunted Mansion. I did not see them in any of the other gift shops in the park. As reviewed above, they are great looking props but not suited for manipulation.
The Alchemy Moon Collective
Find us on Gemini Artifacts
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » The Haunted Mansion Playing Cards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL