The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Gregory Wilson vs. Dan Harlan (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1035 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
"On the Spot" is excellent and funny to watch but it hardly explains the Sylvester pitch. For that you need to get your hands on Sylvester-Pitch 98.
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Dr.Fate
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Dr.Fate
Greg Wilson,what a great personality and performer.
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
I have both. Dan Harlan has more tricks, but Greg Wilson's are WAY better. Without a doubt, go with Greg Wilson.
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
I didn't know that Greg Wilson had so many different usernames!
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13723 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Over and over on these forums I keep hearing fab reviews for the Wilson tapes. I was thinking about buying but now I am way past convinced. And to boot, he is the son of my boyhood hero Mark Wilson, the man who first sparked my interest in magic when I was only five years old!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
marc_us
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of marc_us
Erm... you're joking right? That's another Greg Wilson - AFIAK, Mark Wilson's son hasn't released any magic videos
Dallen
View Profile
New user
Maui, Hawaii
58 Posts

Profile of Dallen
I haven't see the Harlan tapes, but I think that everyone who has a great interest in magic should own the Gregory Wilson tapes. His on the Spot video is probably my favorite video I own...great magic that is impromptu, great and funny perfomances, and great teaching. In fact, all of his videos are top notch. I recommend them all!
Shadowzen
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Shadowzen
I just got the Greg Wilson DVD and it is the best magic purchase that I've ever made. I am going to learn every routine on it.

I don't know if the other stores are doing this or not but it came with perfect PENetration and traffic light cards gimmick effects as free extras from Penguin Magic.
Will_Tingle
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Will_Tingle
Three words:
Wilson, Wilson, Wilson. Smile
--
"Pray, n:. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a
single petitioner confessedly unworthy."
- Ambrose Bierce
ABlair36
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
234 Posts

Profile of ABlair36
I am going to have to disagree with the majority of you. I like Dan Harlan. I have met Dan Harlan and he is a very nice guy.

Cardtoon is an excellent trick that most of us have and love to do.

Dan Harlan also has the best performing skills I have ever seen. The way he interacts with the audience, his jokes, the way he acts, and the skill he has performing the tricks are all inspiring. He is also very interesting and intelligent. He is always willing to discuss magic and help you with something.

I am surprised that I am the only one that said Harlen. I lost count of how many Wilson supporters after 15. The only ones who didn't like Wilson didn't say anything about Harlan.
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Harlan has great performing skills, but his recent published material has been a bit weak. That's what everyone I think was referring to when they voiced their opinion for Wilson.

His material I think is better by far than Harlan's. This doesn't mean that Wilson is better.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24204 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I realize this has been about DVDs, but there is a resource out there that is hard not to refer to. That is Martin Garner's Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic. It's a huge book with lots of good stuff in it, far more than you will find on several DVDs. And when you get it, you will not come away looking like a clone of some other performer.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
tommy ng
View Profile
Veteran user
USA,Oregon
375 Posts

Profile of tommy ng
I like both. I meet Dan and Gregory before, they are both real nice guys.

Sometimes when you see Gregory will WOW you, but Dan also has a lot the good stuff. Dan's magic will let you go back to think about basic magic. You always can get some idea from the old magic.
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Well said tommy ng,

That's why everyone should have a copy of the tarbel series. There are many a gem buried in those pages.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
I've only met Dan in person, but I would have to say that Greg Wilson's impromtu magic is much more suited for what I want to do.
skc417
View Profile
Loyal user
australia
226 Posts

Profile of skc417
I have only seen Dan's rubberband videos and not his impromtu videos so I can't really comment, on the spot was really good. It's just something you have to see, I had gotten a set of his lecture notes before but the video is much more better in its teaching.
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I have no idea about Greg Wilson, but I have one of Dan Harlans tapes and I like it. I got a lot of great stuff from the Pack Small series.

But each to his own...
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
okito25
View Profile
Regular user
Victoria BC Canada
145 Posts

Profile of okito25
Wilson ,Harlen .. I like em both For various reasons .. my thoughts you can never have enough resources , and different performing styles .. though the context of this discussion is indeed I have to agree .. Harlen has a myriad of tapes DVD etc , and Wilsons are Indeed a little more insightful .. I like both because of the various venues I perform in ..I also believe that if I spent 35 or 40 bucks on a tape and get at least three things off any one of them I have Done extreamly well for myself
get em all and Learn all you can
Okito25
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
944 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Absolutely, I would choose Gregory Wilson's videos if you're looking for energetic, offbeat visual magic. Greg has a great in-your-face style. However, I was working under a completely different definition of what impromptu means. You can take any of the effects from my series and "energize" them if you want. Any of them can be knockouts "on the street" as JawDroppers demonstrated. Those videos, incidentally, were published after mine.
My series was always intended to provide you with material suited for a casual situation. Not something that you plan for in advance. Just impromptu. Not guerilla style, "Hey, let's hit the streets and freak people out." You won't find any knuckle-busting sleight-of-hand on my impromptu series. There's barely a palm on it. I think maybe just once, when I do the coin under the watch. You won't find intricately scripted routines (it's impromptu), although you will find presentations. And you will find solid magic. And you will find a foundation in classic methodology. All I know is that the effects are solid and within the ability of most people.
I'm curious about something. For those of you who prefer Greg's videos, what material do you perform from them? And where? Just so there is no misunderstanding, I think Greg is a phenomenal performer and his videos are great. His style is different from mine and perhaps I've lost touch with my crazier side.
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Quote:
On 2004-02-27 20:35, okito25 wrote:
Wilson ,Harlen .. I like em both For various reasons .. my thoughts you can never have enough resources , and different performing styles .. though the context of this discussion is indeed I have to agree .. Harlen has a myriad of tapes DVD etc , and Wilsons are Indeed a little more insightful .. I like both because of the various venues I perform in ..I also believe that if I spent 35 or 40 bucks on a tape and get at least three things off any one of them I have Done extreamly well for myself
get em all and Learn all you can
Okito25

I agree, and sometimes you only get one effect that you'll preform or like. The funny thing about magic is that we all go through "growing periods".

What you don't really like today, usually you'll look at differently further down the road as you progress. Many times have I bought something just to 'file' it away, finding a gem years later.

MM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Gregory Wilson vs. Dan Harlan (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL