The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Gregory Wilson vs. Dan Harlan (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
silapmata
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of silapmata
Greg ROCKS! Nothing can beat him..even tsunami..YE!
Cheif_Magi
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Cheif_Magi
Tally one up for Wilson!
~~Chris
Charles Adams
View Profile
Regular user
Silver Spring, MD
156 Posts

Profile of Charles Adams
I second Brad Burt's mention of the Mullica impromptu series. Not that they are *better simply another source of solid material when you need to pull off a minor miracle, dare I say, on the spot. Steven's Greater magic library also has two collections of impromptu effects by a variety of magi. Get 'em.
lane99
View Profile
Elite user
420 Posts

Profile of lane99
From what I've seem I prefer Dan Harlan's style over Greg Wilson's style. And I have a feeling, on average, audiences would ultimately be left more happy and satisfied seeing Dan Harlan's style. Harlan's magic seems to say to me "let's look together at something wonderous", while Wilson's seems to say "I'm too fast and smart for you, and I'm able to fool you". Even though it's done with a good natured attitude, I still have the feeling Wilson's style is liable to be annoying to many people (for example, see the "On the Spot" video where he steals the lady's glasses...she's irritated by it, and I probably would be too).

I haven't seen Harlan's Impromptu videos, but his rubberband video Volume One (the one I have) has some beautiful impromptu effects. And they're explained in meticulous detail from multiple camera angles. A very helpful video.

Overall, Greg Wilson's On the Spot video is good, too. "A Questionable Trick" I think is great. But I find Harlan to be a better teacher than Wilson. For example, in the explanation for "Florida Keys"- one of the cooler tricks on Wilson's video- it seems to me that he forgot to properly emphasis the illusion that is being created by a certain move. Thus, I was left thinking "which part of the routine is this now??" True, if you rewind the video back to where he's performing the trick (prior to giving his explanation for it), you will be able to sort it all out. But, still, you shouldn't have to do that.
Eight Spades
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio (northwest)
482 Posts

Profile of Eight Spades
While I learned much from Greg Wilson years ago, I've come to realize that Mr. Harlan's style is much more suiting to my taste. I think his masterful skills with equivoque are greatly overlooked. Many young magicians seem to like Greg's style because it's easier to adapt to, but I challenge you to look deeper and see what Dan has to offer. I mean this with no offense to Greg, he is VERY skilled.

-Christian
"Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained." -S.H. Sharpe
anime_file
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of anime_file
I like Wilson better since I've never seen Dan Harlan's stuff
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
13878 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Awww, heck. They"re BOTH good!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
LordPH
View Profile
Regular user
Suomi
189 Posts

Profile of LordPH
Vote for Gregory Wilson!
Lucas Ace

Ultimatemagic.Net
Helsinki Street Team
david alan
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of david alan
Dan.... I hear he's a heck of a nice guy... Never met him... don't know. But, Dan Harlen's style is "His" style. He can have it. His DVD seems like a bunch of stuff from decades ago that he uses to get dates. He also needs to stop offering those same two girls "sips" of this and "bites" of that before he does his "stuff". The tricks on volume three are stuff that every basic book on magic has... even from the sixties. Eating a piece of popcorn off of your shoulder "like a lizard" is just stupid. And to go into an explaination of how the saliva from your tongue is the "SECRET" that makes it work is even more stupid. OOPS... did I give away a secret here? I think I did.... That's O.K., go to E-Bay.... I'm also giving away his DVD. (Who are the same three people he keeps doing tricks for, anyway?? They sure love him.... Sisters? Fan Club? Father & sisters? Two girl fan club w/ bonus father?) But seriously folks... I'm gonna start eating popcorn off my shoulder and see if I can get women like that. Licking my eyebrows is getting kinda old...
Angelo the Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Vienna(Austria/Europe)
214 Posts

Profile of Angelo the Magician
I only know the Dan Harlan Videos (but after reading the above posts, I will soon buy the Greg Wilson). We can see that Dan Harlan is a very sympathetic performer, but most of the material on these tapes are puzzles and not magic!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Gregory Wilson vs. Dan Harlan (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL