The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnosis and Criss Angel (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
themysteriousone
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of themysteriousone
I don't watch much Criss Angel, I just recently saw an epsiode of his though where he puts people in the street into hypnosis by having them read his handout with words on it. They were handing out these handouts, and people starting reading them and falling to the ground. I was wondering if this is really possible. My first thought was pre selected people. Then I talked to a friend who is a hypnotist, and he told me that it is possible. I forget what he called it but he said he had heard stuff about this, and that he read stuff onlin about it. I just wanted to know if anyone else knows anything about this. Is it actually possible to accomplish something like this, having people read words and going into hypnosis? I have been a hypnotist for some time, and I have heard nothing about this. Then I saw the Criss Angel episode, and my friend was telling me about it. Thanks in advance for any responses.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19524 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ok let me just ask some questions here about it and you decide for yourself.

Well one quesiton really.

Do you think his insurance company would allow what you saw? Connect your dots through this prism.

For the record my insurance company will not allow such a thing. People way out of your control, falling over on a sidewalk after you gave them something to read? Possible or not, is not the point I am making notice.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver Canada
959 Posts

Profile of A.G.
I was the only hypnosis consultant CA had for season 2 and 3 of MF. I am not able to talk about my work or to what extent I had on the show.. on or aff camera. But I will say everything you saw involving hypnosis was real.

I am no longer working on the show, although I did enjoy my time on it.

all the best

Gerard
TheTrance-Master
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of TheTrance-Master
It is possible, as long as you get them to read all that's written there.
If they skim, as most would tend to do, not so much of the effect you are seeking will occur. They can be more to this than just reading though.
Hypnotically Yours,
The Trance-Master
Vincent.Lynch
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Vincent.Lynch
Quote:
On 2008-03-17 11:03, G.t.H. wrote:
I was the only hypnosis consultant CA had for season 2 and 3 of MF. I am not able to talk about my work or to what extent I had on the show.. on or aff camera. But I will say everything you saw involving hypnosis was real.

I am no longer working on the show, although I did enjoy my time on it.

all the best

Gerard

Thankyou for the confirmation.
themysteriousone
View Profile
New user
48 Posts

Profile of themysteriousone
Thanks to everyone who has responded so far. Also thanks Gerard for the insight.
HypnoScriptoHottie
View Profile
New user
USA
33 Posts

Profile of HypnoScriptoHottie
Quote:
On 2008-03-17 11:12, TheTrance-Master wrote:
It is possible, as long as you get them to read all that's written there.
If they skim, as most would tend to do, not so much of the effect you are seeking will occur. There can be more to this than just reading though.
Hypnotically Yours,
The Trance-Master

I suppose it's just as possible to hypnotize someone in less than 10 seconds with words on paper, as it is one-on-one with a Speed Trance induction...

However, my guess is that there is at least some "off camera" "pre-induction + suggestion" work going on, in order to have such an intensely immediate result.

Having spoken to a TV producer of these shows once - and having seen many of Peter Powers "street hypnosis" TV shows, the off camera set-up seems highly likely.

Inductions (that aren't one-on-one instant) are for the most part quite boring (to a TV audience) and they can take up precious minutes of air time - and, seeing the induction process can take the WOW out of the intended performance shock value - so they don't make the cut to the final aired version of the show.

But, of course, I could be wrong...
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2008-03-17 01:58, themysteriousone wrote:
I don't watch much Criss Angel, I just recently saw an epsiode of his though where he puts people in the street into hypnosis by having them read his handout with words on it. They were handing out these handouts, and people starting reading them and falling to the ground. I was wondering if this is really possible. My first thought was pre selected people. Then I talked to a friend who is a hypnotist, and he told me that it is possible. I forget what he called it but he said he had heard stuff about this, and that he read stuff onlin about it. I just wanted to know if anyone else knows anything about this. Is it actually possible to accomplish something like this, having people read words and going into hypnosis? I have been a hypnotist for some time, and I have heard nothing about this. Then I saw the Criss Angel episode, and my friend was telling me about it. Thanks in advance for any responses.

It's not only possible and Criss can in fact do this. You see, he hires people and they are given instructions on what to do after reading the handout. They sign some legal papers before hand and then the cameras role..........
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
RobAnderson
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of RobAnderson
I always kind of figured it said something to the effect of:

"Want to make $500.00 FAST?

You are currently being filmed for a TV show on magic and hypnosis. When you get to the end of this page, fall over as if you were put into a deep sleep and await further instructions.

Blah blah blah blah blah, A&E"

:)
C.W.G.
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of C.W.G.
No way you guys!! Cris Angel does everything for real... I'm a member of his fan club (I'm a stage three member and only have to pay half price for his T-shirts!). And I got a hot e-newsletter telling me what was on that card and I will reveal it here and now for the first time. I just hope your minds are ready.... Here goes, try not to go into trance.

There was no writing on it... Just a picture of his pathetic, idiotic, talentless, face! That would make any person with a working brain want to switch off immediately. I mean of course you'd shut you're eyes!

Why do we even allow this idiots name on these threads... I'm proposing a (will not say his name from now on) ban.

The man has single handedly done more damage to real working magicians than all the worlds hecklers combined through out history....
Athos
View Profile
Elite user
NADO - Mind reader
481 Posts

Profile of Athos
I heard that when you are a stage three member you can come to know the salt-shaker throught table effect,

WHAT A DEAL, I will be able to understand it now! Only for 99.99$!

Seriously, what you see may not be camera tricks, but lots of edditing tricks,
Grab some books, listen, learn then create.

Mentalists sells mentalism, not secrets.
~Max
NADO
«How much of a gift it would be to really know what someone is thinking of?»
- Steeve Blanchet, news anchor, TVA
«Here is someone that truly uses his powers for good.»
- David Meclomesnil, weekend radio.
C.W.G.
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of C.W.G.
Dude... don't be crazy?

The salt-shaker through the table is only legend. I heard some stage ten fans saying that they heard that someone said that there was a rumour going around that Chris had heard that someone could do it... He's apparently throwing money everywhere trying to find out if that's true.

He's even throwing money up his bum?

Saw the Youtube clip Athos, well done kiddo!
Athos
View Profile
Elite user
NADO - Mind reader
481 Posts

Profile of Athos
Lol...
NADO
«How much of a gift it would be to really know what someone is thinking of?»
- Steeve Blanchet, news anchor, TVA
«Here is someone that truly uses his powers for good.»
- David Meclomesnil, weekend radio.
Eddini_81976
View Profile
Inner circle
2183 Posts

Profile of Eddini_81976
Quote:
On 2008-04-02 09:31, RobAnderson wrote:
I always kind of figured it said something to the effect of:

"Want to make $500.00 FAST?

You are currently being filmed for a TV show on magic and hypnosis. When you get to the end of this page, fall over as if you were put into a deep sleep and await further instructions.

Blah blah blah blah blah, A&E"

:)

EXACTLY. Sorry Gerard YOU DO IT FOR REAL, and are a myspace friend of mine, though possible, this guy I think hit it on the head, Ed, (Eddini), C.H.
"Treat Others As You'd Want To Be Treated" - Jesus Christ
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6123 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
"Having spoken to a TV producer of these shows once - and having seen many of Peter Powers "street hypnosis" TV shows, the off camera set-up seems highly likely."

I new a broadcast egineer who used to work on the Peter Powers studio tv shows. He said it took up to five hours to shoot with hours and hours preparing the people to take part. He said it was one of the most boring projects he ever worked on.
WillBox
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of WillBox
See, I always liked to think that the Peter Powers stuff was real, impromptu hypnosis. If I'm wrong them I'll be disappointed. Having learned that the Derren Brown staring routine was totally acted, I am now starting to feel pretty frustrated on the whole with how TV is shaping peoples expectations of hypnosis. Sure its good to have them get excited and informed about it, but surely you don't have to manipulate the audience to such a degree to achieve that? I see Criss Angel as more of a spoof magician, its all ridiculous but I laugh at him, rather than with him.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19524 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Interestingly enough it has kind of helped in an odd sort of way. One which you may not suspect.

I will expound LOL. I have had people come to the show who are fully aware that the people used on almost ALL of the TV nonsense is set up. They are losing interest at all.

BUT when they are at the resort for 2 weeks, and each week 2 different sets of 20 people seems to imply that there is NO WAY it is set up, ESPECIALLY WHEN THEIR FRIEND IS ON THE STAGE! It makes my show seem that much more cool, because these morons have gone and diminished the expectations of the audience for me.

I would not do this on purpose mind you, but it does sort of work this way. When they get busted and it is obvious, and it is even more obvious that is NOT what you are doing, it hightens the experience a bit.

Mind you I sitll wish they would stop!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Magicray69
View Profile
Veteran user
Tampa Bay
369 Posts

Profile of Magicray69
I have just finished watching the season premier of 'MiNd FrEaK' and believe me IT IS TRUE! Chris Angel CAN PUT YOU TO SLEEP-INSTANTLY!

Twenty minutes of commercials, twenty minutes of Chris stating how great he is, twenty minutes of faked, edited audience reactions and...OOPS, times up.

And what's this with the slobby, grunge look? I was waiting for him to sink into Lake Meade with all that tacky jewelry. Liberace is rolling over in his grave.

Is it me or is this show just BOOOOORING?

I know, he makes more money than I do and I'm just a jealous wannabee.

MagicRay
There was a time I had the blues,

the reason was I had no shoes.

Until I met upon the street

a man who had no feet.
dennper
View Profile
Loyal user
241 Posts

Profile of dennper
Yes, but for $99 you also get the "Ultimate Loyal Freak Poker Chip" .... what's not to love?
hypnodoc
View Profile
New user
WA
64 Posts

Profile of hypnodoc
I have seen a technique invilving a similar procedure but it involved a standsard induction first followed by a suggestion on a card handed to the subject while they were still in the waking state after the induction and count out. There is a window for this type of thing it takes about 2-3 minutes to come out fully. I would say he had induced them all ahead of time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Hypnosis and Criss Angel (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL