We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » How do I know when Im hypnotised? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hypnoivan
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of hypnoivan
So last week - I went on stage for the first time in a hypnosis show. Although ive hypnotised many many people - ive never actually undergone hypnosis myself.

However - throughout the show I felt like I was 'faking it'.Now I know this is a common feeling of people who are hypnotised -because they are 'aware' of what they are doing the entire time, they feel they are doing the things because they want to do them , rather than becuase I am telling them to do them.
However I truly felt like I wasnt hypnotised at all. Yes I did feel very relaxed when those words 'deep sleep' were uttered. And there were moments where I felt like I was observing what was happening from a distance rather than being there..but I just felt like I could have stopped what I was doing at any stage. I realise this comment is silly as in hypnosis you CAN stop whatever you are doing at any one time. But then at what point does it stop becoming 'faking it' and become real hypnosis.

I love being on stage - so that's why I was going along with it.But how do I know if I was relaly hypnotised. I want to experience hypnotic amnesia and/or catalepsy..I guess then I will know for sure that I am hypnotised..
hypnoivan
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of hypnoivan
In fact this whole issue really does drive me crazy....about what it means to 'fake it'....
If, in hypnosis, you feel like you could stop doing the suggestions at any time..and you feel like you are just going along becuase you 'should' (which is how I felt)..then how do you really define 'faking it'? I know you do NOT lose control in hypnosis - but at what point are you doing the suggestions becuase you are being told to -as opposed to because you think it will be a good laugh to do so?
TheTrance-Master
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of TheTrance-Master
It is helpful to use convincers, whether hosting a show or even a clinical session.
They make your work stronger and more viable.
If they start laughing at my pen or my watch as per suggestion, which most would agree aren't normally funny then, you've convinced them and you.
There are 6 levels of Hypnotic depth in the Aron's Scale of Hypnotic Depth testing. As you can only do suggestibility/concentration tests, and NOT a long and drawn out series of depth tests, you have to do something so everyone knows something has occurred. Many times, when I've done these convincers, the subject/volunteers are still saying, nothing has happened, they were awake, but are averting their eyes and sceaming laughing like crazy, so then it's really hard to refute, for them, you and any audience.
The Trance-Master
aka
John
Trance-Master.com
HypnosisGurus.com
hypnoivan
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of hypnoivan
Well tonight I went on stage again..And this time I felt less like I was just 'playing along' and more like it was just 'right' to do the suggestions. I was certainly more relaxed than last time. However I still feel like I could have just opened my eyes and walked off the stage at any point..but then I know this is an expected feeling anyway.
Im going to continue going on stage until I experience deep hypnosis.
Vincent.Lynch
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Vincent.Lynch
Quote:
On 2008-03-18 01:45, hypnoivan wrote:
Well tonight I went on stage again..And this time I felt less like I was just 'playing along' and more like it was just 'right' to do the suggestions. I was certainly more relaxed than last time. However I still feel like I could have just opened my eyes and walked off the stage at any point..but then I know this is an expected feeling anyway.
Im going to continue going on stage until I experience deep hypnosis.

Your sense of playing along is not the only sense 'all' subjects experience under hypnosis.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6124 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I can honestly say that 70% or more of those Ive hypnotised for a stage setting can't remember anything whatsoever. Plus you can tell by the way they are responding whether they are aware of whats going on or not.

Laughing and other "simple" behaviours in my "model" of stage hypnosis doesn't mean they are hypnotised. To me it means they are on the hypnotic ladder. In very light hypnosis perhaps. Afterall usually everyone else will start laughing does that mean they are hypnotised to? You need to progress through the light behaviours to being deeply hypnotised as a way of conditioning.

Likewise what are being described as rapid inductions in "my model" are pre-inductions. And not fully induced hypnosis.

As a stage hypnotist the way I work is that there only four levels you need to be aware of. Initial response (handclasp) induction (or pre-induction) Light state (laughing etc) waking state (hallucinations, eyes open, proper skits)

You could create as many levels as you want 6, 10, 24. Its really whats useful to the outcome your looking for.

I teach another kind of waking hypnosis to business people my model for that is completely different.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6124 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
And above are only Models nothing is the absolute truth..
TheTrance-Master
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of TheTrance-Master
Light Stage Hypnosis is still Hypnosis.
From a Clinical Model, I've had light subjects who had been 3 or 4 or more pack a day smokers, for 4 or 5 decades, who never reinforced, but never smoked again, even a decade or more later. They were extremely light, and yet responded.
When I've been asked to be a test subject in classes, I've known to a greater or lesser degree, what was going on around me, when I was in light, I followed along but just didn't care. You will find many who are coming from this disposition.
I've also had audience members collaterally Hypnotized, and have had as many as 30 people I've had to yank out of my audience and up onto the stage.
And then, there are those in the audience, whom had read a book or 2 on Hypnosis and want to engage you in an argument post-show, about who you really "had" and "didn't have."
For me it's not what level of depth they are at, just that they are there.
In a lot of shows, we've all had people who have tried to leave the stage, still Hypnotized, whom I've put back into chairs, to keep them in the show or to just keep them safe. I've also had people who pop out, with full bladders or for other reasons, for example, torn between watching the show and being in the show, in for the 1st half, watching the 2nd half.
One thing I'm looking for is various REM States, indicating Hypnosis. Oddly, 6 Levels of Hypnotic Depth in the Aron's Hypnotic Depth Scale, and 6 Levels of REM. So watch their eyes. If you at some point are not getting some sort of REM, well. . .
The bottom line in a show is, you are there to ENTERTAIN, not perform Clinical / Laboratory Depth Experiments, you show must be bigger than the audience and Rock the House.
Ormond McGill once asked me, "Did you keep them entertained? Did they laugh? Then you had a hit show!"
So that's my model.
What's yous?
WillBox
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of WillBox
Hypnoivan, although it may sound ironic and paradoxical, sometimes your conscious awareness of the situation might bear little resemblance to what is going on. If you look at the conscious/subconscious divide, you can see examples everywhere e.g. smokers who say "i can stop whenever I want" but can't. The conscious mind is an expert rationaliser and does this to make you feel in control, to feel ok. The psychological immune system.

If you really want to check, ask the stage hypnotist to give you a post-hypnotic suggestion, that he can in some way try to prevent you from doing (e.g. leaving the stage, then blocking your way). If you start to feel uncomfortable and disturbed because you can't carry it out, then you know its a subconscious compulsion at play.

Another thing is that subconscious responses as evoked in hypnosis can be very difficult to do consciously. For example, looking at a hollow picture frame and being suggested that its a mirror - the subject will usually focus between the frame rather than through it (as if the mirror was there) which is difficult to achieve consciously. Or feeling hot/cold sensations etc.
Gork
View Profile
New user
Germany
70 Posts

Profile of Gork
Sure you can stop at every time! This has nothing to do with faking at all (at least if you are in a light trance)!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » How do I know when Im hypnotised? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL