The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Gigs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ghoulia
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Ghoulia
Hi I was just wondering if there is somewhere that one could go to find out what venues are good for magicians and illusionists in north america? I have the means to travel and would go anywhere in north america to work I just have trouble finding places that are good for gigs of my nature, I do a horror/goth style show and there are few places that I have found that book my brand of magic (adult/horror/goth)
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Dear Ghoulia:

Part of the problem will be the 'type' of show you have. I have nothing agin' it, but it will have a MUCH smaller audience than a more prosaic type of family oriented show. I would think you have cut about 95% of your available audience unless and until you find a venue, like in Vegas perhaps, that is specifically looking for the style of show you offer.

What you probably need to do is attempt to connect with an Agent who does in fact book to places that are looking for novelty acts, and magic generally falls into that category, that are more on the fringe. I don't mean that in a negative way, but it's simply a fact of the business.

I would also go around to all the younger clubs that offer music, the harder the better and see if they would be interested in an opening act before the music starts or an act to fill in the first or second break. It's a hard venue to work, but if you get in you can gain some real world experience that will either have you off performing for ever or make you a heck of a lot better performer! It's kind of like 'busking' for close-up guys. Good luck,
Brad Burt
JC Johns
View Profile
Regular user
Annapolis, MD, USA
133 Posts

Profile of JC Johns
The Palace of Wonders sounds like your cup of tea. It is located in DC. Their website is http://www.palaceofwonders.com.
fxdude
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood
241 Posts

Profile of fxdude
I live in Hollywood and there is a huge goth crowd here.
Vegasvent
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix
288 Posts

Profile of Vegasvent
Goth seems to be growing in Vegas also.
Magical Phil-Kidzshow, LLC

"My Wife says that either all of my Stuff goes, or she does......" "Boy, I'm sure gonna miss her cookin'."
Austin113
View Profile
New user
New Jersey
67 Posts

Profile of Austin113
I'd look into the college market. Colleges are always looking for entertainment outside of bands and comedians.
The method is not the secret.
Cyar
View Profile
Regular user
132 Posts

Profile of Cyar
I'm in NYC and there's plenty of Goth activity going on. Just doing a basic google search of "Goth Clubs in NYC" brought up http://www.neitherland.com/hyperballad/clubs/nyc_clubs.shtml

Start contacting the promoters and/or the clubs themselves directing to find out who the booking agents are. Your fortunate that being in the niche you've carved for yourself that the edgy and bizarre is always welcome.
I told those f***s down at the league office a thousand times that I don't roll on Shabbos!
Ghoulia
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of Ghoulia
Thanks guys for all the fantastic advice!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Gigs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL