The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism smack dab in the middle... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
This is a long clip, watch it, and lets discuss how the mentalist in this video appears in contrast to the magicians.

Also -- what does his appearance among magicians do to his performance?

Curious what the thoughts of others are here...

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=8......lindex=5
xxx
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
Horrible!!!!

Wheres the Magic gone...
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of VIEW
It's an interesting program.

I felt for the guy with the chop cup. Never work with oversized fruits - I think that's what dale winton's golden rule was.

Nice to see the old maven envelope thing in use again. I lost the manuscript that was in, so no longer have the details Smile
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of VIEW
Just realised I didn't' really say much.

first. sandwiching mentalistm between sleights and bandana wotsits clearly didn't work well. I think the mentalist had conviction, and didn't do his cause any harm. Any exposure counts. He did a good job in tough conditions.

as for the rest, if you don't mind me saying, the chair levitation got the best reaction. maybe I should crank that out.

feel free to vomit on my feet.
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of VIEW
Now that I think of it, the mentalist could have been more subtle about the pre show revelation. added more of a pseudo explanation. and some sense of purpose.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18823 Posts

Profile of IAIN
To be honest, I switched off after they introduced themselves - I just didn't really get on their side as it were...i wasnt interested in who they were...

couldn't get on with it - sorry!
I've asked to be banned
Virungan
View Profile
Inner circle
Here and There
1156 Posts

Profile of Virungan
I'm with abraxus here... this pretty much lost me from the get go...
Smile When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth...Smile
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of VIEW
Agreed.

I think it's hard for us to appreciate kids show performances. In their genre, most did a good job.
Rory Raven
View Profile
Special user
Providence, RI
514 Posts

Profile of Rory Raven
I don't think the mentalist was a good choice for a kids program. Too wordy, too slow, not enough "wow". Epsecially the 1089 thing; I just don't think kids are interested. I'm not even particularly bothered that he showed them how it was done, I'm more bothered by the fact that it all didn't (ha!) add up to much of an act.

We saw a little glimpse of him bending a fork (thought not IMHO particularly well) -- he should have done that for them. Kids do respond to it.

But in fairness, the others were having a hard time, too.

But Jenny Adams is cute!

Rory
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx
visit www.roryraven.com today!
HollyMental
View Profile
Elite user
OR
423 Posts

Profile of HollyMental
What was funny to me was that the mentalist told the host that mentalists prefer not to call it tricks, but effects. The host made every effort to respect that but then the mentalist kept referring to what he was doing as tricks. So I don’t think it hurt him to be among magicians because I think he obviously had a background as a magician.

Also, I think the “cold” reading went completely over the kids’ heads. The host didn’t seem too surprised that this guy would know his daughter’s very unusual name, which reeked of pre-show work.

I applaud the effort though. The envelope thing went well. Actually, the 1089 thing went well. I’m just not sure the kids found it at all very exciting. Smile

I also think the very respectful and obliging hosts were about as terrific of hosts as any performer could ever hope for.

Holly
The devil can advocate for himself.
VIEW
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of VIEW
If mentalism is gonna be done for kids, it needs to be like a demonstration of 'super-human' powers maybe.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mentalism smack dab in the middle... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL