The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Microphone (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SM41
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of SM41
Hi,

In your hypnosis shows you use the handed one, the clipped, etc type of microphone?

Why you use that one?

Many thanks
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I use a countryman headset because they are clear and invisible. I use a hand held shure for interview segments.

I like my hands free.

BUT if you don't know how to be on a stage and not hold a mic. then don't go with a headset. This is a LOT tougher than you may think at first.

My headset is crystal clear, and THAT is the first consideration.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TheTrance-Master
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of TheTrance-Master
Hand-Held wireless, by Sure.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On 2008-03-20 18:01, Dannydoyle wrote:
I use a countryman headset because they are clear and invisible. I use a hand held shure for interview segments.

I like my hands free.

BUT if you don't know how to be on a stage and not hold a mic. then don't go with a headset. This is a LOT tougher than you may think at first.

My headset is crystal clear, and THAT is the first consideration.

Countryman makes some good stuff. How did you get used to NOT using a hand held?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Slim this is actually a great question.

The problem is what to do with the hands and arms when standing there. Toughest part in ANY stage show is to look natural while standing doing nothing. How many magic "assistants" biff that part? Almost all!

I gotta say part of the reason it works for me, is I leave the direct view of the audience a lot. My theory is the show is not about me, it is about the people on stage with me. So this idea works well.

But the opening lecture has to be done and this is the toughest part. Slim I am sure with your background in music you have seen singers who are completly clueles with what to do with their body. They spend SO much time on the voice that the body move's are not taken into consideration. It is uncomfortable to watch.

This is why I am such a HUGE fan of "blocking". You figure out every gesture, every mark to walk too. Working the stage helps, because you tend to use your arms to walk when you move. It creates movement, and this is more dynamic.

Pick a mark, walk to it, stop look and address the audienc, and then while you are making another point, move to the next mark.

The big thing that bites, is that this REALLY has to be done to get used too. It is a confidence thing. Confidence is going to help your show in the first place, os this is great all round.

This is really as far as I am concerned the "dirty little secret" of what we do. You can learn to do hypnosis relativly quickly. Being on a stage takes far more time. Slim, again with your background I bet you agree. Singing, may not take as long to learn as "entertaining" right?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RSD
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ontario
534 Posts

Profile of RSD
I tried using a lav type mic, it didn't work for me. The reason being is because I use a lot of off mic cueing, which just isn't possible without a handheld. I also use my mic as a prop in a lot of skits.
readytogo
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of readytogo
Love the handheld mic. It's not that I use a lot of off mic verbal cueing to the volunteers, but just that sometime you may want to say something to your assistants or someone comes in to talk to you from off stage, it's easer to lower your mic then remember to shut off and on the headset. I do admire the people who are able to use them, so hats off to you guys.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
You are correct Danny! So many time we get singers who want to train into the show but they have NO CLUE as to positioning themselves to "Sell" the song or lyric. NO CLUE! A little too much Thespianism (sp) and not enough Rock and Roll Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2008-03-21 18:05, RSD wrote:
I tried using a lav type mic, it didn't work for me. The reason being is because I use a lot of off mic cueing, which just isn't possible without a handheld. I also use my mic as a prop in a lot of skits.

You would be shocked at how easy it is.

The mic. has become a distraction today. People don;t really use them in big shows and in a few years they will be a thing of the past. A relic.

When they looked like the "Madonna Mics. then there was a need not to use them. Now that clarity is so great, and they are invisiible, and everyone is going to them, it really is a style thing.

Slim, I KNEW you would get my point. (nice to have us on the same page a couple times in a row!)

I don't do ANY off mic cues, so that is not even in my concern. But if you talk soft enough, those can be done without the mute button.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Microphone (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL