The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » White Castle (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
So, who lives near a White Castle, and do you ever eat there? Why or why not?

Jeff
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2443 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
I live near The White House, does that count?
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
It depends. Does the White House sell hamburgers?
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I live near the white lodge.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Jeff, I gotta tell ya. I went to a White Castle one time in Louisville, KY. Heard all the hype - had to experience it myself. They're called "Sliders" for a reason, eh? After the first one, I fed the rest to the trash can and went in search of a Big Boy to scour the grease from my throat. How do they stay in business?
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3409 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
I eat at White Castle generally once every ten years, to remind myself why I don't eat their more often.

Back in my 'yout "Sliders" were the cure for what ailed 'ya at the end of an evening of partying.

The southern version of "Sliders" can be had at Krystal's.

FWIW

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
SeasideShowman
View Profile
Elite user
Myrtle Beach, SC
443 Posts

Profile of SeasideShowman
I grew up with White Castles in the North and here in the South they are Crystal's. Same thing - different name. Perhaps an acquired taste but back in the day they could be purchased for young money so you could spend a little and eat alot. They would return on ya something fierce though so I learned to consume in moderation. They stay in business by staying open 24/7 and catering to the late night/after the bars close crowd (so I've heard ...).

Cap'n Mike
(who suddenly feels like going to Crystal)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I didn't care if they were laughing at me or laughing with me ... as long as they were laughing" - Unknown
www.MagicAtTheBeach.org
"I'm with it"
SeasideShowman
View Profile
Elite user
Myrtle Beach, SC
443 Posts

Profile of SeasideShowman
Ah, Stanyon and I posted at the same time but he spelled 'Crystals' korrectly ... see, I am a Yankee ...

Cap'n
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I didn't care if they were laughing at me or laughing with me ... as long as they were laughing" - Unknown
www.MagicAtTheBeach.org
"I'm with it"
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
I grew up eating White Castle burgers. I even saw my Doctor eat there.
In my youth I could eat a dozen. Now I eat 4 once every few months. 100% beef lots of onions, ketchup and a pickle. Greasy but tasty.

Hey I am 61 and in good health. But some people can't digest them.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
They're all over the place around here. I used to eat there when I was a kid, the burgers were better quality in those days. Don't eat there anymore, for many reasons.

Now I go to the White Manor, in Hackensack New Jersey. Same size and style as White Castle but made with 100% real Beef, made fresh in front of you. $1.20 for a double cheese burger. Order 4 -6 at a time, enjoy!

21/31
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
You're lookin' pretty good for 61, there, Harry. Ya must be doing something right. Goes to show...but then, I haven't been to a McDonald's or Hardee's in more than 10-12 years...grease just isn't my thing. I do wish we had the Bob's or Frisch's Big Boys below the Mason-Dixon. Now those I miss!
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
vmendoza
View Profile
Elite user
Farmingdale. New Jersey
430 Posts

Profile of vmendoza
Say what you will. These guys have been at it before any of the other chains popped up. And at 4:30 am, after closing the bar down and then sitting in the half-dark with the owner and downing a few more while you try to out do each other story-wise. There's nothing better that a bag full of slyders. Otherwise lovingly known as rat-burgers. Those were the days, young and no thoughts about cholesterol.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Quote:
On 2008-03-21 10:32, vmendoza wrote:
Say what you will. These guys have been at it before any of the other chains popped up. And at 4:30 am, after closing the bar down and then sitting in the half-dark with the owner and downing a few more while you try to out do each other story-wise. There's nothing better that a bag full of slyders. Otherwise lovingly known as rat-burgers. Those were the days, young and no thoughts about cholesterol.

WORD!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
After many, many years of curing future hangovers with Krystal's, I had my first White Castle last summer in Detroit. There is a difference. WC's are definitely more greasy. But, here in the South we make up our deficincy with fried everything else.

One big plus for White Castle... I was the only person in the drive thru and my order was ready at the window before I had the chance to pull up and get my money out. The South, having its reputation for being slow, illustrates that fact at every fast(?) food dive here.

A side story on the mental effciency of a particular Krystal employee...

Back in the day, when late evening often found my apartment full of post toasties sitting around vegging on a test pattern, someone would usually break the silence with, "I'll buy, if someone goes to get it." Krystal was close and gut bombs were often on the munchie crave list.

One of the times I was the chosen, with a collective order from about a half a dozen people. No drive-thru in those days, so I was inside losing my retinas to the florescent glare. In fact, while not the only person in there, I was the only one standing at the counter. I ordered something like 30 or 40 Krystals. The bonehead behind the counter asks, "Is that for here, or to go?"
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Rimbaud
View Profile
Loyal user
Saint Louis
291 Posts

Profile of Rimbaud
A few year's back my girlfriend and I befriended a couple of very nice young college students from Hanover Germany. They were both big blues fans, so one night, I took them to one of Saint Louis' better blues bars. The bar was just south of downtown and right next to a White Castle, so afterwards, on the way back to the car, I drug them inside. I ordered a couple of burgers for them and we sat down. (By the way, never eat inside a White Castle in Saint Louis at night. The clientele tends to be...unpredictable.)

So they sat down in this strange, seedy circus atmosphere, with a puzzled look on their faces and stared at these, odd, small, funny smelling, soggy things. One of them slowly started to lift up the bun to examine what was inside. I reached out and stopped him and said that nothing good ever came from doing that to a belly bomber, and that he just needed to take a leap of faith.

I think I'll never forget the look on their faces when they took the first bite. A weird combination of horror and happiness. It was exactly what Glenn Savan once said about them, that they were like "what sin would taste like, if you could eat it."

Occasionally, when they email me, they'll still mention the night they ate those weird little greasy hamburgers in that scary place.

Dan
Day 21
http://www.DanLaddthehypnotist.com
"Saying 'Everyone is special' is just another way of saying 'No one is.'" --Dash from The Incredibles
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
When I worked overnights or bar hopped I would go to a nearby WC and buy a few. I liked them and had no problem.
It's been quite a while since I've done either.

There's not any close by where I am now but I do see them being sold at the local A&P. I'll have to try them.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2750 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2008-03-21 11:26, Rimbaud wrote:
A few year's back my girlfriend and I befriended a couple of very nice young college students from Hanover Germany. They were both big blues fans, so one night, I took them to one of Saint Louis' better blues bars. The bar was just south of downtown and right next to a White Castle, so afterwards, on the way back to the car, I drug them inside. I ordered a couple of burgers for them and we sat down. (By the way, never eat inside a White Castle in Saint Louis at night. The clientele tends to be...unpredictable.)

So they sat down in this strange, seedy circus atmosphere, with a puzzled look on their faces and stared at these, odd, small, funny smelling, soggy things. One of them slowly started to lift up the bun to examine what was inside. I reached out and stopped him and said that nothing good ever came from doing that to a belly bomber, and that he just needed to take a leap of faith.

I love that thought! It typifies (sp) the whole concept of WC or of fast food in general!

I've been to a White Castle once, just before I left New York City. It was an experience, not one I would go out of my way to repeat. (A lot of supermarkets sell frozen White Castle burgers. I guess they answer the call if you're really addicted, but seem to miss the point of going to the place and buying a bag full!)

Quote:
I think I'll never forget the look on their faces when they took the first bite. A weird combination of horror and happiness. It was exactly what Glenn Savan once said about them, that they were like "what sin would taste like, if you could eat it."

Occasionally, when they email me, they'll still mention the night they ate those weird little greasy hamburgers in that scary place.

Dan
Day 21

Day 21/31
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Why does it have to be white?
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Maybe something to do with RACISM?
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Thanks Skip.

Now the best burgers around Long Island are All American and Five Guys.
Both always have long lines.

I try to do all in moderation. Some times it works.

Oh Josh, to answer your question- when White Castle first started, they wanted people to know it was clean. So the outside and inside were white. The staff wore white shirts, white pants, white hat and a black bow tie. I go back when they were 7 cents each. And they still had carhops.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » White Castle (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL