The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fun with Babelfish (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I've decided to have some fun with Babelfish.

I am going to take a text at random from the Café, have it translated into a foreign language and then back into English again, and see what happens.

At random I am choosing to use...Portugese.

For the text I am choosing--again, at random--the first post in one of the threads in the Food for Thought forum.

Here is the result:

"One essay that I affixed on my Blog... It argues... Undressed In the No. Period of training, it is not what you think... Not accurately... Some years episode of the factor of the fear has I gave attention to one. I had been never really a fan, but he did not have nothing in this night more and thus that I adjusted inside when I made some I work in laptop. The first challenge started my attention immediately. Contestants was going to face one of the 3 fears that superior the peoples have - the public nudity! To make this, they would participate in a naked sample of the form! That one is right, all the 6 contestants had had that to peel undressed, and approximately walk catwalk in the front of a hearing of 350 peoples, everything with blink of the cameras. They had had that to walk the walked one of the cat and to pause in the extremity and pose for 1 minute, naked, and comes back and to walk back-up the ticket. Assumption that? All had made it. More more, a challenge was thus dramatical that one contestant was not eleiminated in the following circles. Each one had become invincible. A challenge of the relay of the time would be the final challenge - that the winner would decide finally. This episode started me that it thinks on invincibility of that contestants few moments of vulnerability had felt excruitiating after, and what it means to performer of the period of training. I started to observe definitive things on great hosts. They were all that want to be vulnerable in the front of its hearings, for expo - to be undressed in the period of training. I am not speaking on the literal nudity in the period of training. I am speaking on the voluntariedade to show to its vulnerability the end to gain invincibility. A recent example is that one of Hillary Clinton. It had its naked moment when it cried out in the period of training, in the one front rally of supporters. You it will also observe that after that one, numbers soared. For a moment invincible became. Thus, as can we as performers and hosts to explore this principle?"

So...nudity in the period of training? I like it!

The funniest translation of a Café text (don't cheat!) wins.

Jeff
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I'm going to translate this.

My adventure at the pub. Monkeys spit water onto the faces of old ladies. The German man from down south likes his beer and stares at women a lot. He is a creep, officially. The pub is a nice place, but not for kids.
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Translated from:

Hello Tim!
Is glad to hear!
As always such "hot" themes do not do without you.
I against spears! But I as against robberies from manufacturers!!!
The car do hundreds workers, illusion - a box is done by one person!
It is not necessary to become impudent! 10 000 dollars are a robbery! Even if to consider, that the material costs 1000 dollars work should cost no more than 2000 dollars (rather ORIGAMI).
They that use gold or platinum???
It makes laugh me!
At builders very good appetite!
I remain at the opinion. The wooden box cannot cost 10000 dollars!!!

Translated to:

Hello time! Is glad hear! Like always such "hot" topics do not do without u. I against spears! But I compared with diefstallen of manufacturers!!! the car does hundreds workers, illusion - a box is done by one person! It is not become necessary impudent! 10,000 dollars are a robber stable! Even as to think that the material costs 1000 dollars would have cost no longer than 2000 dollars have a lasting effect (more earlier ORIGAMI). They that use gold or platinum making laughs me! At builders very good appetite! I remain at the recommendation. Houten the box cannot cost 10000 dollars!!!
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
From Italian to English...

My adventure to the publication. The monkeys spit the water on the old faces of the getlteman. The German man down gives of the south appreciate its beer and stares to the women mólto. Strisciamento is one, officially. The publication is an pleasant place, but not for kidskin.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I think it was the Times that used to take classic prose and babel it to various languages and back.

Matt, it doesn't work if the sentence is ridiculous to start with. Why don't you write a serious sentence then....Oh... actually never mind.

George
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
OK...here's a re-translated post from an illustrious member (I used German so that I could follow what was actually happening):

"Met lots by round (heavyset) (rigid thinking) the linguistic Reframing is squared a fundamental ability in the magic - and frequently informs by mysteries."

Now, the real fun here is to read the original, pre-translated post:

"Met lots of round (heavyset) squares (rigid thinking)
linguistic reframing is a basic skill in magic - and often taught by riddles."

It seems to me that there is no fundamental change in the intersubjective communicability of the two texts. They both make an equal amount of sense.

So we have now solved one of the mysteries of the Café. Jonathan is actually speaking an English form of German.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
To French and back again...

I think that in fact times took traditional prose and Babel it with various languages and behind. Chechmate, that does not function if the sentence is ridiculous to start. Why not write serious to you really never condemn then... the spirit de.Oh.... George
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fun with Babelfish (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL