We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Collected Almanac vs. Apocalypse (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

acchessor
View Profile
Elite user
Nebraska
402 Posts

Profile of acchessor
For my next magic order, I want to get either Richard Kaufman's Collected Almanac or Harry Loryane's Apocalypse vol. 1. I am a magician who does mainly cards and am somewhat looking to extend to other areas of magic, such as coin or mentalism. In the book I get, here are qualities I want to find:

- the most effects that I would actually add to my routine
- a limited amount of filler compared to the good effects
- containing "classics" of magic
- great contributors in the book
- good readability - I wouldn't get bored reading it
- gives a good look at the history of magic

From your experiences, which do you think is a better buy for me? Personally, I am right now leaning towards Collected Almanac, but what's your opinions? Thanks!
Denis Behr
View Profile
Special user
Germany
686 Posts

Profile of Denis Behr
Both volumes fit the bill.

Denis
magicman812
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of magicman812
Collected Almanac is one of my all-time favorite books. There are many hidden gems within those pages.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7020 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Collected Almanac is great. Tons of terrific material. That said, I do not own Apocalypse.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Acchessor,

Both are simply PHENOMENAL. That being said, I lean more toward Apocalypse. Filler of course is in the eyes of the beholder. The reason I lean more toward Apocalypse is that it is more widely referenced in the literature in my experience. This is not a criticism of Collected Almanac, but rather to the fact that Apocalypse ran for twenty years so it will be mentioned more in the larger body of the literature just based on its longevity.

I use more material out of Apocalypse than I do out of Collected Almanac, but, that is not to say that I find Collected Almanac any less valuable a resource. I just feel that Apocalypse has a much better representation of how the close up magic scene evolved through the 70's. 80's, and 90's.

Each has its own strengths of course. The question comes down to whether you want to drive a Ferrari or a Lamborghini. I would caution you that I have heard - but you may want to confirm this yourself - that Collected Almanac and Apocalypse may soon be going OOP. Again, I am not CERTAIN if this is true or not, so do please contact a good dealer or contact Richard Kaufman about Collected Almanac and Harry Lorayne about Apocalypse. Both post here so it would be easy to PM them or, in the case of Richard Kaufman, just give a call to Genii or check the Genii boards.

If you have the dosh, I would say get BOTH. Each contains what are now considered classics. The best magicians contributed material to both magazines. To actually LIST the contributors would kill the Café's server Smile

I think that you will find that if you go with Apocalypse, you WILL want to get the other three bound volumes as well. Apocalypse combined weighs in at 2880 pages! No advertisements, just great magic. Collected Almanac is approximately 500 pages, again, no advertisements - except for the rather humourous re-subscription ads - just great magic.

Most dealers who have Apocalypse will give you a nice price break if you buy all four hardbound volumes at one go.

Whichever you decide to buy, you are in for a real treat, and both are definitely resources that are simply inexhaustible!

Best,
Vlad
Fingers_Fidge
View Profile
Regular user
England
123 Posts

Profile of Fingers_Fidge
Without confusing the issue you may also consider IBIDEM or EPILOGUE the former is available through LL Pub and their current 20% sale which means you can buy the complete set of IBIDEM for an excellent price.
jonnyboy
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego
1021 Posts

Profile of jonnyboy
Vlad- I am having trouble finding a dealer with Vol. 2 of Apocalype. They appear to be OOP. Do you know of a likely source?

John
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
Apocalypse #2 is out of print and I believe one of the other three is also on its way, if it's not there already. Somebody on Dennymagic was selling all four as a set, and I believe elsewhere there are limited edition versions which are twice the price (still a pretty good deal if you do the math).

Personally, I always found that Apocalypse was much friendlier to the card guys than anybody else (Beetlejuice Beetlejuice Beetlejuice!!). I think it averages out to something like 60% of the material is card-based, close to 20% coin-based, and the rest "other". I think because of that favouritism the best card stuff is usually a rank above the best of everything else.

Now, that said, if you're looking to add to the card repertoire, there's a TON of stuff in there. Regular card tricks, gambling effects, faro-based effects, packet tricks, tricks with gaffs or gaffless, colour changes, LOTS of moves explained. I know that a few items in my only bound copy have ended up as effects listed on DVDs. I remember once I was reading up on 10 card poker deals, and I was wondering if there was anything in there. Turned out that my Apocalypse #3 had a three-phase stage version. Every now and then when I get in the mood for a "trick fix" I pull it out and go through it.
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8520 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I think I mentioned it in another thread, but - I still have some copies of volumes 1, 3 and 4 of APOCALYPSE. That may not be so much longer, and I'm also thinking of raising the price of each. (Vol. 2 is out of print - I do have a few of the original Deluxe collector's editions - numbered, signed, in slipcases, etc. I have the other volumes in those editions, too. They're not inexpensive, but all is relative.) HARRY LORAYNE.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
acchessor
View Profile
Elite user
Nebraska
402 Posts

Profile of acchessor
Thanks for the input so far. I probably will be getting both of these books in my library sooner or later, and if possible, I will get both on my next order. Which do you think would go OOP first, and when?
acchessor
View Profile
Elite user
Nebraska
402 Posts

Profile of acchessor
Oh, also I am talking about volume 1 of Apocalypse and not buying the entire series (yet).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Collected Almanac vs. Apocalypse (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL