The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Restaurant Work (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mikey Magic
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Mikey Magic
I was just wondering if any of you have a restaurant job on the side making balloons? I'm looking to get into the restaurant business making balloons, but I'm not ready yet. Although, I'm getting close and have had 3 paid jobs with different parties and am still learning. I want to know if there are any books and/or videos out there focusing on making balloons in restaurants. I've seen a lot on magic, but not on balloons. I'm not looking for a book or video teaching you how to make the balloon animals, but what to look for and how to work for the restaurant business.
JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
Mikey,

It isn't my side thing, since I am a full-time entertainer, but...

You can find a wealth of information in doing a search here, but even more so by visiting http://www.mbd2.com/forum , or in the Guide or the archives on http://www.BalloonHQ.com .

Good luck.
JM Smile Smile

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
www.JesterMan.com

"... destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology... " FZ
Smarty Pants World
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Smarty Pants World
I recently purchased the Success Strategies for the Restaurant Performer book & DVD set from DJ Ehlert of Kenosha Magic. The set wasn't cheap, but does have a huge amount of very useful information for obtaining and keeping restaurants for doing balloon work. The set is geared towards both magicians and balloon artists (DJ does both) and is very comprehensive with a huge book, DVD, audio CD and I believe you can call DJ for advice directly (I actually did so recently)

You can see more about the set for yourself at http://www.restaurantmagicians.com/index.htm

And no - I don't work on commission!
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I perform table-hopping magic and balloons at area restaurants, country clubs and banquets. I personally choose to work exclusively with 160's in the restaurant setting for a number of reasons.

1) You can do nearly anything with a 160 that you can with a 260, but they are more compact,
2) 160's seem less likely to pop,
3) 160's seem to take more and tighter twists than a 260 without popping,
4) 160's are far more forgiving of mistakes when I'm rushing,
5) 160's are more likely to break into two large pieces rather than a number of smaller pieces that may wind up in someone's food
6) 160's create smaller sculptures that take up less premium table space
7) Women ADORE the smaller poodles, ladybugs, petal bracelets and such that the more petite 160's form. The 160's are also a little more adaptable to little hands,
8) you can pack twice as many 160's into a balloon apron with half the bulk.

Balloons are an easy sell to restaurateurs, especially in restaurants that are located in or adjacent to shopping malls, arcades or complexes. Their bright colors and huge visibility draws attention as the guests leave the restaurant and inevitably walk through the mall "to allow dinner to settle." I usually try to incorporate the restaurant's printed helium balloons into my designs in some way - for example, a Spiderman, butterfly or dragon dangling on the ribbon beneath the balloon or the helium balloon held in the paw of Mark Byrne's T-Rex hat.

In the case of Princess heart crowns or space alien hats, I'll write "I Love <Rest. Name>!" on the heart or back of the alien head with marker. Every birthday guest, child & adult, gets a colorful birthday hat with "Happy Birthday from <Rest. Name!>" written on the hat. Owners LOVE to see their joint's name paraded past the competition!

Another market, being a major election year - One local politician has already hired me to work upcoming festivals handing out balloon hats & sculptures with her name and stickers emblazoned.

There's work to be had! Good luck!
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Mikey Magic
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Mikey Magic
Excellent advise and ideas, thank you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Restaurant Work (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL