The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Why use a gimmick when you can use none? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
DaveM
View Profile
Special user
Germany
782 Posts

Profile of DaveM
I don't try to make effects more difficult than they need to be. I think about what would look "cleaner" to the spec.

Dave
Airave
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
137 Posts

Profile of Airave
Yesterday, when I came home from work,
there was a small party going on in our
Local Garden so I took a look.

A Kids Birthday Party!! HelleeHallooo!

I "devined" the BD boy and shook his hand
as I greeted the rest of the table of kids
and parents.

After catching and vanishing a Flying Golden Butterfly
above the boy's head (a Lucky Omen!!!) and having my
4 y/o Daughter animate a small Straw Man on my hand,
with Magic Gestures (and then letting another of the kids
do the same)I said "Thank You & Have Fun!".

They begged for another Trick and I was at a temporary loss.
Made my commercial pitch to the Kidz and Parentz as I searched
my pockets and mind. Yeah, was caught off guard.

Ha! What does Hand Find?????

Hopping Halves in front left pocket
(Johnson- Elmwood)! Haha!

Impromptu Magic... One of the kids (YouTube viewer?)
knew what was going on, but was easy to manage him-
in fact the whole table ignored him (to his credit
he was discreet) and tripped on the last complete vanish!

Even the "knower" wasn't ready and dropped jaw! ;D

My point is.... Whatever works. Do it well and make Fun
and Amazement. I had 2 gaffed coins in my pocket (always do)
and made some "easy" Magic.

It went sooooo well!

Presentation and what works.

:D
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Why paint your walls white when they could all be painted BLACK?

Why buy a Honda when you could buy a Toyota?

Why wear a leather jacket when you could wear a cardigan sweater?

..........forget the gaffed coins, answer me THOSE questions!

:)
Airave
View Profile
Regular user
Germany
137 Posts

Profile of Airave
Paint a Colorful Mural.

Ride a Rocket or a Winged Blue Horse.

Wear whatever over your Birthday Suit.

:D
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
There is another point in this discussion which has been touched by Jonathan Townsend and seems not to sink in.

A gaff is generally built only for one specific effect.

Great magicians like Al Goshman, Dai Vernon, Tony Slydini, David Roth, Michael Rubinstein, Geoff Latta, Roger Klause, Curtis Kam, John Carney, Kainoa Harbottle, David Neighbors, Reed McClintock, Jonathan Townsend (he would not say it himself, but he should be credited never the less), and many, many others which are unfairly omitted take the gaff created for one trick and make plenty of routines out of it.

The Flipper coin gained fame with Troy Hooser (already combining this pre-existent gaff with sleight of hand). Craig Petty's DVD shows how a creative mind can generate several effects with that tricked coin. The gaff of a trick then becomes a magical prop for many effects.

You would probably have a hard time naming a gaff which has not been put to use in different routines where the effects seem far from the original "trick".
A routine is different from a single trick, even if the nature of the difference between a routine and a trick is an open debate.
Yet magicians become famous (to a relative extent) for routines, not for tricks. Their routine gets published or filmed on DVDs. This attaches their name to an effect, and this is what creates their fame. Don Alan became associated with the chop cup (published by an obscure magician in Scotland, 14 years before Al Whitley would start spreading the gaffed cup). Jamison describes in a cups and balls routine what we call the shuttle pass when David Roth (who convinced the magical community of its versatility) was not even born. Jean Caroly describes in writing the Spider Grip Vanish (not under that named, which was coined by Ed Marlo half a century later) in 1902 when Marlo was...

My point is clear, build routines instead of just showing the trick. It's good for your reputation, and it contributes to the progress of magic (and to the progress of the quality of gaffs: see the good old coin shell and compare it with the Sun and Moon).
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
QuailCreek
View Profile
Veteran user
McKenna, WA
388 Posts

Profile of QuailCreek
I know this started out as a S&S question, but if it's OK I'd like to expand the thread a little rather than start another one. There has been some great information shared here. While I'm sure there are coin purists out there that wouldn't touch a gaffed coin, or at least won’t admit to it, there are just some things that can only be accomplished using them. Not to mention, it gives us more toys to play with. In addition, they give the performer the opportunity to gain some handing / practice time and get the feel of manipulating coins while perfecting their SOH techniques. My thought is that if we can get some performances under our belt that make us more enthusiastic and magic becomes more fun, then we’re more likely to stay with it until we master some of the sleights. We all have opinions, and I’m no different. Based upon what you currently own and use, if you had the opportunity to do it all over again, how would you respond to the following?

1)Silver vs. Clad - No need to ask, really; silver coins are the only way to go.

2)Coin size - Half vs. Dollar. Close-up and/or stage.

3)Does the hollow sound of the [ make a difference, and how do you deal with it?

4)Not using price as the determining factor, who makes the best gaffed coins?

5)What combinations of gaffed coins would you recommend that would give the most bang for the buck? Expanded [ , m******c, sets.

6)Would you recommend getting all your different gaffed coins in the same coin type? In other words, all Kennedy halves and English penny, or some of the sets different so as to go from trick to trick and make it look like you’re doing a number of different tricks?

7)What is your favorite method of bringing gaffed coins into play?

8)What’s your favorite gaffed coin or coin set?
Regards,
Silverthorne
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2008-03-23 16:36, KurtK wrote:
Why would you buy a gimmick for Scotch and Soda when you can learn quite a few sleights and gain talent while getting the same or near the same effect using no gimmicks?

Well....

When I was a kid and had no money, I did EVERYTHING with sleights. It was a good learning experience. But now that I can afford some toys, what I look for in gaffs are ways of doing things I either couldn't do or couldn't do as spectacularly.

I've done a Miser's Dream since I was 16, for instance, but I've always kind of wanted a Copenetro to do the toss to. I think it would accent the effect nicely...

The flip side, though, is the really nice thing about sleight of hand is it's really easy to "get clean". Gaffs do make me a bit nervous, and I'm happiest if I have a routine that vanishes them into my pocket by the end...or even better, substitutes real coins and does the last pass or two as straight sleights.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
Cyberqat
View Profile
Inner circle
You can tell I work on the net from my
2210 Posts

Profile of Cyberqat
Quote:
On 2008-08-08 13:56, QuailCreek wrote:
1)Silver vs. Clad - No need to ask, really; silver coins are the only way to go.

Almost all my work is half dollars. I like the size and feel. (Though, I will do some quarter/dime/nickel impromptu work if that's all I have on me at the time.)

I like American money as it feels less "rigged" to the audience, I think. The only non-American coin I use is a Canadian $2 when I want contrast because it's almost the size of a half but looks quite different.

Quote:
2)Coin size - Half vs. Dollar. Close-up and/or stage.

As per above, I mostly do closeup/bar these days; though, I have a stage performance coming up in 9 months or so.

Quote:

4)Not using price as the determining factor, who makes the best gaffed coins?

Just started using them. Have no opinion really.

Quote:
5)What combinations of gaffed coins would you recommend that would give the most bang for the buck? Expanded [ , m******c, sets.

I'd like to hear people's answers to this, too!

Quote:
6)Would you recommend getting all your different gaffed coins in the same coin type? In other words, all Kennedy halves and English penny, or some of the sets different so as to go from trick to trick and make it look like you’re doing a number of different tricks?

As mentioned above, I work Kennedy halves mostly, so a utility prop is most useful if it matches.

Quote:
7)What is your favorite method of bringing gaffed coins into play?

My one current routine with my one current set (Dream Coin halves) I start by taking it out of an Okito box and "explaining" what's on both sides. This both introduces the box and launches me into my "The Elvi" routine. (I show that the eagle is on one side and Kennedy on the other. I then explain that the only man more popular than Kennedy in the '60s was Elvis, and that segues into my routine.)

Quote:
8)What’s your favorite gaffed coin or coin set?

Folding coins are neat mechanically, but I've never come up with a good routine to use it. My current only set are the aforementioned Dream Set.
It is always darkest just before you are eaten by a grue.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
While I myself enjoy my sleight work, because I know how hard I worked to get this skill, some 'trick coin' tricks go over really well.
I can't believe the reaction that a Dime and Penny trick gets.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Why use a gimmick when you can use none? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL