The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove Vest (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

streetmagician_08
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of streetmagician_08
Hello

I was browsing through http://www.daytonamagic.com and under accessories they have a tuxedo vest which has 6 dove pockets built in. Would this work the same as having some custom made for your jacket? And would this vest make your chest bigger? And would you need to buy a fake shirt? Would this be a good item to buy?

Thanks
Thayne
Smile
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Hello,

Anytime you have doves loaded on your body there will be some bulk. I have a dove vest but it is separate from my tuxedo. Having something custom made will beat a vest any day because you will have the pockets exactly where you want them, as long as you give the seamstress enough detail.

Best,
Ed
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5112 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Thayne: Ed is right. I have pockets in my jacket and have a vest as well. I personally prefer the jacket pockets as they are exactly where I want them. The vest is stationary. With 6 pockets in it, chances are that if you don't use all 6, you'll have a couple that are positioned pretty close to where you want them but then you have to modify your act a little to make everything look smooth. I think of it as "close only counts in horseshoes and handgrenades". With dove work, you want to be exact every time.

To answer your other questions, though, you don't need a fake shirt and it doesn't make your chest any bigger. The bulk as Ed says will be there with any method. There are ways to cover up that bulk with custom designed tuxedos but that's another story. The vest is not visible so it isn't like a regular suit vest. It only extends to the edge of your jacket so whatever shirt you normally wear is fine. It's kind of like having the jacket and the liner as two separate pieces.
Where the magic begins
Jason Purdy
View Profile
Regular user
New England
137 Posts

Profile of Jason Purdy
Hey thayne, I picked up a vest from Daytona just to check it out. I was very displeased! I wouldn't recommend it. In fact, if you are interested, I'll sell it to you cheap. But I don't think you should blow your money on it. It isn't even made with the proper material. You would be better off with something custom made. Good luck!
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Dear Jason

Perhaps you can check out Dan Birch OR Andy Amyx dove pockets... they are both very good!

Dan Birch even has a pointed end on his pockets... this will ensure the dove comes out lighting FAST!

Both are made from Heavy Satin Material... by the way I own many, many of them... about ten from Dan Birch & six from Andy Amyx... let me know if you are interested.

You can also check out the version by General Grant... overlapped pockets already sewn in... very nice... think I have a couple lying somewhere in my house... if you need let me know & I will search for them... thanks! Smile
streetmagician_08
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Jason,
how much would you sell the dove vest for? Thanks
BenSchwartz
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
499 Posts

Profile of BenSchwartz
Ha ha ... you know how much mine cost (all my pockets, bags and stuff of the sort)... 5 bucks. I made them all and sewed them in myself. It will save you hundreds of dollars.
"The experience of astonishment is the experience of a clear, primal state of mind that they associate with a child's state of mind." ---- Paul Harris
streetmagician_08
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Ben,

What kind of material did you use for your pockets/bages? And where would you find this?

Thanks
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5112 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Thayne: The material used for your pockets needs to be made from satin material. The costs is going to depend on how much you buy. The slickness of this material is the secret and you sew the bag with the slick side in. You can buy this at any fabric store in almost any color you want. The bags or harnesses themselves can be of a similar material but should be smooth.

Another tip instead of the satin material is to line the pocket with plastic like the type used to make sheet protectors for paper. If you go this way however, be careful. This stuff is so slick, the doves will slide out almost on their own but it has definite advantages.
Where the magic begins
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
I also got this vest from Daytona. It was really bad, the two top pockets were sooooo small and were not a slick material making productions harder. I recommend going with pockets in your jacket.
Zaubern Smile
Leo B. Domapias
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Leo B. Domapias
I use a vest, with four pockets, two on each side. I bought it second hand several years ago, so I don’t know which dealer supplied it originally.

I prefer using the vest because it precludes the need to sew pockets to my jacket. It’s transferable. Theoretically, I can use any jacket, even borrow one, and still be able to steal doves from body loads. Of course, the advantage is theoretical, because you will not find the occasion when you need to borrow somebody’s jacket to perform your dove act.

My vest is white, so it blends with my white shirt. The pockets are smaller than the usual commercially available dove pockets. I like the smaller pockets because they hold the doves snuggly. When I load doves wearing invisible harnesses, the pocket size prevents them from moving or struggling, particularly during long waits.

Tony Clark, in his video Behind the Seams, shows and explains his tuxedo vest. You may want to check the video, not only for the vest but for the other fine tips and lessons he teaches in that video.

Ben Benjay
Manila, Philippines
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2222 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Hey Ben,
That reminds me that I was the one who sold you that dove vest. I bought it from an italian dealer in FISM 97 at Dresden.
The dove vest is also illustrated by Fantasio in the Encylopaedia of Dove Magic. I don't remember which volume though.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Leo B. Domapias
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Leo B. Domapias
That's right. I bought it from you. One of my best investments in years.

Ben Benjay
Manila, Philippines
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5112 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Zaubern, if the pockets in your vest are not slick enough there are two posibilities. From the stationery store, buy some plastic document sheet protectors and cut a piece large enough to slide into the pocket and against the sides. Or, Tony Clark suggests using plastic package sealing tape to line the pocket. I like the sheet protectors personally. This will make the pockets so slick, you won't believe it.
Where the magic begins
Scott Penrose
View Profile
Regular user
London, England
189 Posts

Profile of Scott Penrose
Further to the earlier post, the Fantasio dove vest is written up in Adiar's Dove Encyclopedia number four. A couple of guys here in the UK use the Fantasio vest and prefer it. One advantage is that the weight of the doves is on the body and not on the jacket, hence the jacket is less likely to sag. The vest is OK for traditional steals but is not so good for use with invisible harnesses.

Regards

Scott
KeirRoyale
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
550 Posts

Profile of KeirRoyale
Tony Clark's video "Behind the Seam" has some good insight into dove vests.
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
I'll have to give that a try Dave. My major problem was the pockets in the vest were too short. There were really only 4 usable pockets in the vest. If a little more thought had gone into the pockets, I think it would be a great vest. Does anyone know of a good vest? On Ice's video he talks about a vest that you button into your jacket. I would like a vest that is like the one Daytona has. Its like a regular tuxedo vest with pockets put in. I may end up going back to using pockets in my coat. I just like the fact you could use a vest because it is so transferable.
Zaubern Smile
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
880 Posts

Profile of sperris
My best recommendation is to have some NICE pockets made up and have a custom vest made, it'll save you money from trying to shop around and having to buy and try so many different ones. Once you get to a certain point in your magical career you have to start investing to get things custom for you so you can move to the next level. As I stated above, it will also save you money and you'll get it exactly like what you want among other benefits too.

sperris Smile
DANSPERRY.COM
streetmagician_08
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

How does this sound for starters? I'm going to buy a tuxedo vest that fits snug, then I'll buy two of the best dove pockets the kind like gen. grant so they will big big and take the heat off bulges. Then have them sewn onto the vest then get a tuxedo to wear over the vest and close it up some. Theorectically will this work as well as having the pockets sewn onto the jacket? Any input on pockets, will be helpful. I'll only be using to doves one on each side. Thanks

P.S if anyone has any extra pockets that they will sell for cheap. Please PM me.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
My observation with existing dove vests is that they reinforce the need to have pockets you can really use put into your costumes. The dove vest is a good idea that still needs a lot of work. I think your time and money are better invested in your own costume.

Too many pre-fab pockets are too short for real live doves with real dove tails anyway. Have what you need made for you. It's cheaper than you think.

You will often see me wearing a vest under a coat. On stage I rarely use a dove pocket mounted on the vest. I may body load several doves in the vest; but in the last twenty years, it is always without pockets.

Been there; have the vests to prove it!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove Vest (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL