The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Peek resources? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
vai
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of vai
Hi guys,

I'm looking for a good collection of peeks, format isn't important as long as the info is easily understandable.

I'm choosing between Busch's Peek Performances and Zingg's Master Billet Course volume 1 at the moment but any other suggestions are much appreciated.

I'm mainly looking for peeks to be used in close up situations so if you could bear that in mind then that'd be great.

Does anyone have any recommendations/condemnations?

All the best,

Vai
Check out my releases at http://stores.lulu.com/mentalism
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2485 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Peek Performances.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2590 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Peek Encores also - probably more useful

And on a related note, Switchcraft

There's some peeks in my own book too
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1542 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Much as I admire Richard Busch's work, I find that most of the peeks in Peek Performances are rather unnatural. There is plenty of other useful stuff in the book, though. Master Billet Course Vol. 1 is pretty good - it includes an introduction to Acidus Novus, and Barrie Richardson's Double Billet.

Busch works mainly with file cards, Zingg with business cards.

Barry
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
There's also Post Justify for working with Post-It Notes. It's a very thorough book.
higuys
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of higuys
Switchcraft - by a very long way!
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2850 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Yet people keep coming back to Acidus Novus for the most versatile peek. Why not go to the source and get the multmedia CD "Thought Reading With Billets" by Millard Longman, available thru Mevpro. Yes, it is expensive. There is a career's worth of material on the CD plus the most thorough examination of the methodology available. Since this is where you will probably end up after studying peeks, why not simply start there?
djwow
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
56 Posts

Profile of djwow
I would recommend Millard's "Thought Reading with Billets" as well. As you probably know, he created Acidus Novus so you get the handling and history straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak..and a lot more.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2590 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Thanks for the plug Tomo! I would now plug Naked Mentalism back, if it had peeks in it..
vai
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of vai
Thanks for the responses guys, very much appreciated.

I already have switchcraft and couldn't recommend it more to anyone looking for some good switching techniques.

I have heard good things about acidus novus but I think I would prefer to get a collection of peeks rather than put all my eggs in one basket so to speak. I know I will probably end up walking the acidus path but its nice to have alternatives for various situations.

I think I'll do a little more research on the Zingg volume....

all the best

Vai
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
Peek Performances has my favourite peeks and billet folds in it.
hypnomagic
View Profile
New user
UK
33 Posts

Profile of hypnomagic
Peek Performances and Peek Encores will provide you with plenty of peeks and advice.

The peeks can all become natural if you think of their context and the whole effect. Rehearse not only the "moves" but practice making them invisible by incorporating your own natural behaviours and movements.
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2559 Posts

Profile of NeilS
I do not think you would go wrong with Peek Encores or Switchcraft. Both take peeks and switches to new levels.
vai
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of vai
I see some people seem to be favouring peek encores over peek performances,

Are there many differences between the two in terms of practicality or content ?
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2497 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Peek Encores is much more focused and represents a growth of the techniques in Performances.

I like Novus as well but people have almost convinced me to go for globus, I need to talk to a few more people about this first though.

Finally, I know how attractive it is to have a variety of moves but one or two good peeks, one or two good CTs, and same for switches should make you more than ready for anything.

L
obijuan
View Profile
Loyal user
New Lenox
242 Posts

Profile of obijuan
Post Justify
Simon Lovell's Center Tear
Acidus Novus
Obsidean Oblique
Phoenix Peek
Zorro Index Billet Peek

These are amongst my faves!
andykean
View Profile
Special user
U.K - Now living in New Zealand Auckland
870 Posts

Profile of andykean
Switch craft by elliot b he is member of the Café.
Fantastic ebook amazing value and references lots of other potential material
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2084 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Switchcraft, IMHO, is hands-down the greatest, most clearly explained and illustrated work on switches. Elliott B. has taken many methods that have been around, and improved on them 100%. And the illustrations couldn't make the technique more clear. Busch is a great thinker, to be sure, but his books are dense, and not as easily "graspable" for the beginner. I would also recommend Millard Longman's "Acidus GLOBUS", as a wonderful FULL card peek. And yes, Novus is the one people keep coming back to... for good reason. Osterlind's Perfected Center Tear is one I use all the time, as well.
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Thank you so much, Bev, higuys, vai, Neil, Andy and Gabelson.

I really appreciate your recommendations.

Speaking of which, the second official Switchcraft advertisement just hit the press.

This time, the ad’s in Magic Magazine. (April 2008 issue – page 127)

Oh. In the interest of “truth in advertising,” I should mention that the mind-reading/Q&A material in Switchcraft focuses on “reads.”

“Peeks” and “reads” accomplish the exact same objective, but the approach is a little different… although, sometimes (as in Q4U2) the distinction can get a little murky.

Thanks again,

Elliott
carmean
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of carmean
Phoenix Peek, switch craft, Peek Performances. My favorite is an adaptation of the phoenix peek that can be done totally surrounded with full peek view of the entire card back from a borrowed business card that they fold it up and hand it to you. I have not found any peek that is cleaner.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Peek resources? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL