The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Nail Roulette (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Marc DeSouza
View Profile
V.I.P.
Wayne, PA
162 Posts

Profile of Marc DeSouza
Hi Jon (et al),

I use The Nail by Hakan Varol of Germany. It is the best, safest version I have seen. If you screw up, it's your own *** fault, meaning that you know if it will screw up before you smash your hand down. The downside is that you have to buy it from him in person...he will not send it by post...it's a liability thing. I'll talk to you more about it at FFFF...in fact, I'll try to remember to bring it along to show you.

Marc DeSouza
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Hi Marc,

I believe that The Nail was one of the methods used in the You Tube video of people injuring themselves. I could be wrong though. I remember you telling me about it at FISM 2003 but I would be very interested to see the one you have. You remind me of baby photos; I'll remind you of instruments of screaming, pain and suffering. Hmmm... maybe they have more in common than I thought! ;-)

Jon
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Howdy Marc. Is the Hakan Varol version the one that uses a remo** and li*** coming from the nail?
Marc DeSouza
View Profile
V.I.P.
Wayne, PA
162 Posts

Profile of Marc DeSouza
Hi Jon (ROFL!!!) and Larry,

Yes Larry, that's the one. It's pretty foolproof...you don't see the l...t, you don't smash the cups. You will have to figure your own way of bowing out gracefully. Yes, this is the method that Mr. Korn screwed up on TV..he must have had a brain fart!

Marc
D J Hawkins
View Profile
Veteran user
Reading, UK
351 Posts

Profile of D J Hawkins
Smash and Stab is the best version - bar none.

One of my favourite items to perform for a small group and gets amazing reactions.

It can't go wrong unless you are completely stupid and don't pay any attention to what you are doing. You can be totally hands off when performing with the spectator handling all the props, your hands don't have to go anywhere near the cups, and you don't have all the risks of handling broken glass.

Oh.....and NEVER use a spectator's hand !!!!!
David Hawkins

djhawkins2014@gmail.com
daviaac
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of daviaac
Sorry to throw a firework into the mix after watching this on tv about a 2 years ago I decided not to bother anymore with the effect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KMwrFKrM3U

I'm not going to rant you guys have probably seen this before but look at what happens right before the accident 'the magician was 100% correct it was just something else'

cheers
luke
- the secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources
ben jaques
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of ben jaques
My buddy has the Scorpion by Outlaw Effects, it's a thing of beauty!

check it out!

http://outlaw-effects.com/outlaweffects/......Itemid=1

100% safe, if done right?
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Hi David,

It's not about being stupid. You-Know-Who was using S&S when he impaled his female helper. Nobody can predict when a brain fart (a technical medical term?) takes over.

I am looking forward to seeing the nail at FFFF!
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
kardini
View Profile
Regular user
Brazil
141 Posts

Profile of kardini
My NAIL ROULETTE in brazilian TV:

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=zuH2sumr120

- - - and here one that is 100% safe (with a EGG...):

http://br.youtube.com/watch?v=kIm2uv1ol2Q

Cheers from Brazil,

KARDINI

============
website 2017 - http://www.kardini.com.br
D J Hawkins
View Profile
Veteran user
Reading, UK
351 Posts

Profile of D J Hawkins
Sorry - "stupid" was a bad choice of words. By maintaining focus on what you are doing, and ensuring you have a mental checklist during the effect, the risk of a "brainfart" screwing things up can be made as low as reasonable practicable. After all, the complicated procedure and considerable risks involved in driving to the gig surely outweight the simple mental process required in performing this effect. But NEVER, EVER use a spectator's hand.
David Hawkins

djhawkins2014@gmail.com
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
I wanted to ressurect this thread because I will be launching my new Nail Roulette in a couple of weeks. It is categorically 100% safe and someone else even selects which bags are to be crushed. It has already had some outings and I have even performed it with Boris Wild's hand. It's so safe I would be happy to use Tiger Woods' hand.

Hopefully someone will give a review soon.
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
708 Posts

Profile of TheTableTopTrixta
Jon, how much is this item??

Ash
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
I'll know precisely at the end of this coming week but I will say that it is going to be on the expensive side.

However, it will still be much, much cheaper than a lawsuit or the cost of lost earnings Smile
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The first time you look at it, Smash and Stab appears to be a very safe version. However, it's also the version that more people seem to have injured themselves or someone else with.

I've used Scorpion and I've used Spike -- I like both of them.

Scott Alexander's "Shattered" is the only 100% safe version that I have seen. It is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to injure himself or another person when smashing down on the bags. The drawback is that you have to smash up a beer bottle at the beginning of the routine. This is the only part of the trick that has a real chance of injury in it. You might be able to cut yourself on a sliver of glass.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
I have come to realise that a more appropriate term to use rather than "100% safe" is "accident-proof". Scott Alexander's 'Shattered' is accident-proof, as is 'The Pain Game'.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
My Russian Roulette Staple Gun Routine is also 'accident proof'.

I can't understand why people have such a hard time grasping the difference between something being '100% safe'/'accident proof' and; '100% safe'/'accident proof - so long as you don't forget what you're doing'.

Effects of this sort can only be considered 'accident proof' or '100% safe' if you are unable to bring about an unsucessful conclusion of 'taking a hit' during the routine even if you, at some point, decided masochistically that this was what exactly what you wanted to do.

By the way, if I say so myself my staple gun routine is sweet. Smile

Neal
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Quote:
On 2009-05-05 04:47, Bill Palmer wrote:
The first time you look at it, Smash and Stab appears to be a very safe version. However, it's also the version that more people seem to have injured themselves or someone else with.

I've used Scorpion and I've used Spike -- I like both of them.

Scott Alexander's "Shattered" is the only 100% safe version that I have seen. It is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to injure himself or another person when smashing down on the bags. The drawback is that you have to smash up a beer bottle at the beginning of the routine. This is the only part of the trick that has a real chance of injury in it. You might be able to cut yourself on a sliver of glass.

I came very close to injuring my eye while breaking a beer bottle doing "Shattered". A tiny sliver of glass almost went into my eye.

This looks to be safer, but I'm wondering why it's so darn expensive? It doesn't look expensive. Is this some kind of mechanical marvel?

Robert
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
Hey Jon...
Saw the video of the Pain Game.
I liked the ending, but thought the hiding of the bags behind the table was very suspicious.
Any way to fix this?
And $500?
I sure hope you get more than a nail and some blocks of wood.

Randi
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
Since it has already been mentioned, Shattered is the ONLY safe way to do this effect, anyone who does the others is just looking to hurt themselves and others. Don't be stupid.

Robert, man just keep the bottle farther in the bad when you break the bottle. That's rough.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2009-05-06 01:29, dinger136 wrote:
Since it has already been mentioned, Shattered is the ONLY safe way to do this effect, anyone who does the others is just looking to hurt themselves and others. Don't be stupid.

Actually Scorpion is pretty harmless, the spikes are only 3/4 of an inch long and they are so close together they have a "bed of nails" effect when you press down on them.

I don't see how the performer could possible miss, but the distance between the tiny cups and the Scorpion is so small that if you miss would it would leave a few pin pricks at most.

When performing Scorpion it is a very Zen like performance. No one would be doing a 180 degree above the head Criss Angel hand slam with the Scorp Smile.

Rick
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Nail Roulette (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL